Sign in to follow this  
Guest alex333

OT-Your codec problems solved

Using Windows Movie Maker you can transcode the video yourself, however, it seems as if the maximum resolution that the resulting video will have then is 856x480 while the original is 1280x720. The file size goes back to about 21MB. To do this just import the original, drag the parts onto the timeline and save the movie file to 'My Computer', select 'Other settings' and choose 'High quality video (large)'. Make sure you have selected 16:9 in Windows Movie Maker options first (Tools/Options/Advanced). The entire process takes about half an hour.Maybe someone has a better way of how to transcode ourselves to the original resolution. I am not an expert at all.Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

>Um, not if he wants to honor copyright law. ;)As Mike says, the answer is no... Not only do I want to honor copyright law, I want to still be liked by the team at ACES...Working professionally in Film and TV, there is no way I am prepared to break any copyright laws, and even beyond that I wouldn't want to do something unethical or even questionable...That's why I asked first... I've been with FS since version 2.0 there's no way I want to lose points with the dev team... They have done awesome work, and whatever they say goes as far as I'm concerned...BTW Tdragger, the more I see the trailer the more I see little nuances in the changes to the sim... The 'flare' of the sun as you fly through a cloud is just one of the many wonderful new features of FSX...I'm so looking forward to the final release date :)... The previews and screenshots are enough to capture the imagination, and it will well be worth the wait...Again I think the ACES team are the worlds best software developers (or whatever they desire to be called ;))... Next comes the Final Cut Pro guys at Apple :D...

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

Guest sclincoln

Could you upload your transcoded version to the library here?

Guest Andre_Hedegaard

No such thing as dumb questions, only stupid answers, like the ones I'm probably going to end up giving you ;)The VLC player will play the file, though without sound, the codec pack includes other codecs besides Divx.Some people had trouble installing WMP11 and so VLC is just an alternative.I didn't figure that the sound playback would be so significant compared to being able to see the visuals and VLC does a nice job of playing back 1/4 speed smoothly, so theres time to take in all those sequences at less 'hollywood-pace'.In the end, you know more about Divx than I do, so I can't answer about the details of divx, nor do I know if its ok to recode files from a copyright issue, but it seems to work well for you and thats great :)

Guest Andre_Hedegaard

Having read the other post (HD trailer movie) and some of you experienced problems, here are 2 links that will help you:Codec pack:An all-in-one codec pack - 9.25MBhttp://www.free-codecs.com/download/Codec_Pack_All_in_1.htmIf you'd like another player that handles files better than WMP:(Extra bonus, you can slow down all video playback, regardless of type of format.)VLC - 7.9MBhttp://www.videolan.org/vlc/Both programs are freeware.This should solve most problems of stuttering etc.....Have a nice day :)

Tried VLC, tried other codecs with no luck. Under no circumstance will I install beta software (WMP11) just to be able to see one video.The obvious question now is: Why in god's name did MS publish a trailer that 90%+ of the audience cannot see without a degree in computer science? Is it because of the new sounds?

Guest alex333

I wonder about this myself...But why are there some who can see the video and some can't? I downloaded vlc, divx and the hd trailer but i can't seem to open it any way I try. :(Are there still some magicians out there who know how to make it work?

Guest JSPuonti

I'm wondering that too.People have claimed the video works with VLC, but it doesn't work on mine.. And like some others, I'm not going to install WMP11 just for this.It's curious :(

Guest Andre_Hedegaard

What are your machine specs?I don't think you'll get much out of the video if you're running on a 386........

Guest alex333

athlon 64 3000+512mb ramati 9800 pro... it should work with that, shouldn't it?Could it be a dx9 problem?

Guest Andre_Hedegaard

>athlon 64 3000+>512mb ram>ati 9800 pro>>... it should work with that, shouldn't it?>>Could it be a dx9 problem?Well, its AMD, which I tend to stay away from since those CPU's often cause trouble.Other than that, yes, thats more than fine.To get my older AMD system running 'ok', I sometimes disable AGP texture acceleration in the dxdiags tool.(Or simply disable all graphics acceleration - cures most problems)Click Start -> Run -> type "dxdiag.exe"DX9? Not sure, don't think so, but get yourself the latest DX9.0C version (as of April *I think*)http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

Guest alex333

>To get my older AMD system running 'ok', I sometimes disable>AGP texture acceleration in the dxdiags tool.>(Or simply disable all graphics acceleration - cures most>problems)>Click Start -> Run -> type "dxdiag.exe">>DX9? Not sure, don't think so, but get yourself the latest>DX9.0C version (as of April *I think*)>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=enI will try that, thanks very much for the quick answer :)Alex