Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

310 Pilot - new video - good overview of his panel

Kevin has been gradually upgrading his avionics, including a installation of a pair of new Garmn G5 EFD gauges, and a new STEC 3100 autopilot.  The linked video is his flight home immediately after the autopilot installation.  Taking advantage of his newly reduced workload and hand holding a Go Pro, he produced a video showing and explaining every part of his panel, explains it is still a work in process, and details his plans going forward.  Its a great watch...  and titled as Part 1, so it appears a Part 2 will be forthcoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbum5S3Q3EA

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I found the video absorbing and very interesting.  I kept comparing my panels and switches to his!  Wish I could color-code my switches as he has done.  He also explained why his mixture levers are offset the way they are--"fuel pressure gauges are wonky."  Worth the watch, definitely.

Stew

• Like 2

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

32 minutes ago, StewartH said:

He also explained why his mixture levers are offset the way they are--"fuel pressure gauges are wonky." 

He does have the readings from the digital engine monitoring gauges as well, and clearly that is what he focuses on.  But as per that comment he made, is it wonky gauges or is it the the calibration of the levers/cables?  Seems that if the gauges are wonky, then shouldn't the levers be at matching settings?  If the calibration is off from lever to lever, then wouldn't calibrating them align the gauge readings?  I have watched videos from another Cessna twin pilot and he also seems to index his mixture lever positions.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 minute ago, fppilot said:

He does have the readings from the digital engine monitoring gauges as well, and clearly that is what he focuses on.  But as per that comment he made, is it wonky gauges or is it the the calibration of the levers/cables?  Seems that if the gauges are wonky, then shouldn't the levers be at matching settings?  If the calibration is off from lever to lever, then wouldn't calibrating them align the gauge readings?  I have watched videos from another Cessna twin pilot and he also seems to index his mixture lever positions.

All good points, Frank.  I only remember his remark about the wonky gauges, so it stuck with me.

Stew

Stew

Anyone know what he does for a job? I know his wife is an ATC. Just wondering how he finances his upgrades - having done these things myself in real life, I know they aren't cheap! Great video, I've never flown a 310.

David Porrett

Hi, David.  He also works ATC in Chicago, as does the wife.  Different sections, though.  He has a video "I Love My ATC" in which he and his wife are in comms while he's enroute to someplace or other.

• Like 1

Stew

12 minutes ago, StewartH said:

Hi, David.  He also works ATC in Chicago, as does the wife.  Different sections, though.  He has a video "I Love My ATC" in which he and his wife are in comms while he's enroute to someplace or other.

Thanks Stewart - I love watching these videos - as well as Premier1Driver and Steveo1kinevo - I can only drool over the positive and vibrant attitude our American friends have towards General Aviation, compared to where I live where it is treated with disdain and contempt. I would love to do some serious flying in the USA.

David Porrett

On 4/20/2019 at 3:39 PM, fppilot said:

titled as Part 1, so it appears a Part 2 will be forthcoming.

Oh. And he was only halfway along his flight home from Texas to the Chicago area.

Frank Patton
ASUS