Sign in to follow this  
AnkH

Airport ground textures and taxiways to bright...

Hi all,

as the night lighting is further enhanced, I continue flying in the dark, as it simply looks phantastic, especially with DL active. But, a little bit (or a big bit) disappointing is the way to bright textures on many of e.g. the Aerosoft Airports, including EDDF, LSZH, LEBL and so on. Here are two pictures, the first from EDDF and the second from LSZH, illustrating the problem. If you compare the ground with the surrounding ground textures and also the taxiways, they are way to bright. Like illuminated from a source below. While LSZH is slightly less pronounced, EDDF simply pops out of the environment like this, totally unrealistic. What can I do about this? 

2019-4-17_20-29-24-12ybkyc.jpg

2019-4-17_20-32-42-27i6k02.jpg

To proof that it is indeed possible to have realistic looking night lighting on an airport with my current setup and settings, simply look at the screenshot from your product EDDK Cologne below. This is how it should look like. Taxiways are dark, DL Illumination where it is active, very nice blending into the surrounding textures. Still very very slightly on the bright side, but I can live with this.

2019-4-17_20-37-1-692tyj0g.jpg

How can I change the other airports to have darker ground textures? I somehow remember that there was a trick (or disabling a file) some time ago, but I can not remember, if this was for P3Dv4.5, what I use now. Thanks for any hint,

Regards

Chris

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

@AnkH
Hi Chris,

Keep in mind the moon phases can affect the appearance of the ground textures.
In Prepar3D.cfg I use the setting; MOON_PHASE_LIGHTING=True.

EDDF
See lower left corner for date and time of each screenshot.
Under a full moon.

t2ciIdI.jpg

New moon date.

oMxmNzp.jpg

• Like 1

Of course you are right. But the screenshots from my sim above were taken on the same day, means with the same amount of moonlight on EDDF and EDDK as an example. But I will see if turning off moonlight has any effect on EDDF in my case.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Ok, I tested it. But no, even without moonlighting, the surrounding of the runways, the runways itself and the taxiways are still way to bright compared to the ground textures outside the airport perimeter. Sadly.

Greetings, Chris

7 hours ago, AnkH said:

Ok, I tested it. But no, even without moonlighting, the surrounding of the runways, the runways itself and the taxiways are still way to bright compared to the ground textures outside the airport perimeter. Sadly.

Let me guess, that it is worse at EDDF.   That scenery is older than EDDK and I'm sure as Lockheed Martin plays with the night lighting moving forward, you'll see more things like this.

You may want to put the question to Aerosoft on their forum, they may have some insight into whether or not you can do anything to help it, or if it is something they would need to adjust in their scenery textures.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

12 hours ago, Mace said:

You may want to put the question to Aerosoft on their forum, they may have some insight into whether or not you can do anything to help it, or if it is something they would need to adjust in their scenery textures.

Guess what I did before coming here? The AS Support is lousy like always, first they closed down my thread due to a sentence I should not have written into my post (I agree, it was a little bit over the top, but the experience once again proofed me right...) and then they basically closed my support ticket by telling me that night-lighting is a highly subjective matter and that many user like it the way it is. Come on... They even did a Google Research and as obviously nobody else asked the same question I did, they consider the issue non-existent. That is how AS Support deals such queries...

Means: once more, I must hope that some users already had the same issue and maybe one found a solution for this. That is why I posted here...

Greetings, Chris

3 hours ago, AnkH said:

Guess what I did before coming here? The AS Support is lousy like always, first they closed down my thread due to a sentence I should not have written into my post (I agree, it was a little bit over the top, but the experience once again proofed me right...) and then they basically closed my support ticket by telling me that night-lighting is a highly subjective matter and that many user like it the way it is. Come on... They even did a Google Research and as obviously nobody else asked the same question I did, they consider the issue non-existent. That is how AS Support deals such queries...

Means: once more, I must hope that some users already had the same issue and maybe one found a solution for this. That is why I posted here...

Sorry, I cannot help, but I feel with you regarding how AS handles support questions in their forums. I've given up to ask over there. Maybe you can enable some shader tweaks (Envshade or Tomato...). I've used them for some time and if I remember correctly, Envshade had darkened many textures quite a bit, but I am not sure if those textures which were responsible for taxiway were also affected.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (8+16 cores, 16+16 Threads, 5.5 GHz, Aorus X 360 AIO H2O, ASUS Z690 ROG Strix F), 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090 (Alphacool Eiswolf 360 AIO H2O).  Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2 SSD C drive).  MSFS 2020 (MS Store, installed on C, MSFS Content on seperate 2TB M.2 SSD).   P3Dv5.3 (1TB M.2 SSD).

That is what I already have: I use PTA with the preset of AdamNZ. But this will not help, as above screenshots are already taken with PTA. And obviously, the bright textures are only limited to some of the Aerosoft airports. But of course, as they are not the developers of those addons but just make money with them, support is limited... Always the same story...

Greetings, Chris

On 4/21/2019 at 11:42 AM, AnkH said:

What can I do about this? 

edit

Edited by ErichB

Chris, try my PTA preset to see If that helps :

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I think your aim needs to be towards Aerosoft.  I do realize they are publishers and not necessarily authors, so yes, your support may vary.  I know Aerosoft has been quick to dismiss support on that basis too.  It looks like it is just custom textures for those particular fields, and I don't believe there is any tweak or shader configuration that is going to fix the issue you are having.  Are these fields P3Dv4 compatible, or are these FSX/P3Dv3 fields that happen to somewhat function.  I have a few fields that quasi work in v4, including one Aerosoft published field, but it was never updated for v4.  In that, the textures at night are poor.  Just something that I have to accept until a time when or if they choose to update to which I'm not holding my breath.

On 4/23/2019 at 12:39 PM, GSalden said:

Chris, try my PTA preset to see If that helps :

It helped, thanks so much for this preset. Now EDDF and others look like it is night in the night, nothing bright anymore. Wonderful!

Greetings, Chris

Here they look normal..

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0