Sign in to follow this  
Guest mdaviation

Stereo-3D support

Hi,There has already been mention of support for generic surround sound technology. Whether it will work on a specific piece of equipment I have no idea. I hope they don't support too much "exotic" stuff - keep the support generic to encourage vendors to build to the standard.Take care,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest tdragger

As with anything else before we write code that targets a specific device (as opposed to relying on DirectX as an abstraction layer) we must understand the impact it will have to the overall customer base. I don't believe stereo vision devices are that common.

Guest rwy23

>As with anything else before we write code that >targets a specific device (as opposed to relying on DirectX as an >abstraction layer) we must understand the impact it will have to the >overall customer base. Stereo vision brings a new level of realism to flight simulation.Particularly while flying at low altitudes (vfr, landing) spatial seeing is very important.If you think, the overall customer want it as real as it gets, supporting stereo vision is inevitably.Supporting stereo vision is not so difficult as you think. The driver computes the information from DirectX to a stereo vision.Most of the work is done by the driver.Most important is, that all objects are true 3d.At present, the driver brings stereo 3d support to many DirectX games.Some of them work nearly perfect, some of them produces strange effects (like fs9). Everyone with a Nvidia graphics card can try it: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dstereo_78.01.html>I don't believe stereo vision devices are that common.If you mean hmds like the eMagin Z800, you are probably right.But the ED glasses are rather often used.rwy23

Guest cn

interesting news for all who are interested in stereo vision and flight simulation:BELLEVUE, Wash., Dec. 21, 2005

Guest thefringe

My edimensional glasses work great in FS9 with an Nvidia 7800 and the 78.xx regular and 78.xx stereo drivers. I don't sim without them. The only problem is with runway, street, and aircraft points of light not splitting into stereo. This is a minor annoyance.

Guest tdragger

Hmmm. Seems like it would only be an annoyance about half the time.

Guest cn

>Seems like it would only be >an annoyance about half the time. Why don't you fix the problems? Then your product would be fully ready for stereo vision.That could become rather fast a very important feature. Possibly fs missed then the course.MfG. C.N.

Guest thefringe

What happens is the single-point lights cause eye strain. The brain is viewing other objects already split in two and 'wants' to view the light sources in the same manner but can't. Actually the problem is evident more than 'half the time' as I forgot to specify that the Sun also does not split in two. Someone in another forum suggested diabling T&L but this did not work. What I do for night flying is reduce the stereo separation to a level that does not produce eye strain. The resulting stereo view is less than spectacular, but still effective. There is still nothing that compares to ascending through a thick (Active Sky) cumulus bank with stereo 3D dialed in. It is beyond description.

Do we have a FS developer in this thread :).Anyway I have really hard time understanding why you would fight new features. I can understand from the game developers view. It would mean more work. The less they have to code for the less work they have to do :).But it really pays off. Simulators trying to simulate reality does benefit greatly from these devices. I also can