Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

I might have asked this before, but for 2019....

What music do you like to fly by, in both simming and real life?  Me, I enjoy a mix of music, sometimes contemporary Christian, sometimes 80's rock with a touch of disco, and often smooth jazz.  Many smooth jazz artists, like Peter White and Craig Chaquico, were with rock bands in the 70's and 80's.  Peter was with Al Stewart and Craig with Jefferson Starship, which sadly lost their male singers Paul Kantner and Marty Balin.  Music has always been part of my simming and real life flying enjoyment, I would create mixes depending on what I wanted to listen to and the length of my flights, so I would not have to repeat music, for instance on my last two non stop flights from Phoenix to London and back on British Airways in 2017.  One mix I made in '92 my daughter loved so much, I had to send the long mp3 to her at her University in Flagstaff, because I always played it in my car when we drove to Disney California or I played it for her using my dual headphone jack when we would fly to Disney Orlando.  I also enjoy listening to Phil Collins' live But Seriously concert, which I saw live at Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View California in 1990, not far from SFO airport. 

I feel music and flying go hand in hand.  Doug Brambrink, a young high school friend who learned how to fly and got his pilot's license at age 16, before he learned how to fly, took me and a close friend on a moonlight flight in 1979 from Napa down to San Francisco over the piers, then back home to Napa.  He tuned the aircraft's radio so it could pick up a radio station and I recall listening to the popular song from the band "Raydio" -- "You can't change that"....  I love that song because Doug's flight was my first flight in a general aviation aircraft, followed by a flight in a Piper Cherokee six place aircraft out of Mystic CT in 1980.  Many pilots listen to music when they are not listening to ATC, ATC cuts in via their sound system, which is kind of cool.

So, what does everyone else enjoy?  Only music that does not sway me on flights is RAP although singing with some RAP, like Blondie's Man from Mars song, is alright.... LOL

John

Hello John, interesting subject: Music i remember in my flying days were Honky Cat  Elton John. Amazing that song would play when i was close to the airport. Seeing the metal take off with the heavy black smoke, 727, DC-9 etc. Where Is The Love  Roberta Flack, Donnie Hathaway, and the corny song How Do You Do by the dutch duo Mouth and Mac Neal. Another time i was on board a 727 the song I Can See For Miles by The Who.Fun days!!!!!!

Edited by Paul Deluca

Even though I don't USUALLY listen to music while flying -- I have done it on occasion, and often those flights are very memorable.

Usually when I listen to music I am not being serious about my flying and am not running a quiet cockpit or whatever they call it.

One of those memorable flights was from about 15 years ago, I decided to fly from northern Africa, across the Sahara to sub-Saharan Africa, but along the Atlantic Coast.   It did the flight in a Bristol Wayfarer (look that one up) and plodded along listening to --- Scheherezade by Rimsky-Korsakov, imagining what the Arab travelers saw when they passed the area over 1,200 years ago.

Another time I flew some VFR over the Portuguese hills listening to some Ray Lynch (it's 1980's new age music) doing slow lazy banks watching the scenery below.  It was pretty amazing.

I kind of like Aerosoft's DC-8 promo video too (it's on Youtube I think) although they have used that same music for other products too.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Too much to hear (or miss hearing) on the ATC frequency... music to my ears 👨‍✈️😁

For the sim, I usually tend not to play any music (at least not below FL100).

For RW flying (as pax) I'm into rock and metal; so I just put on my headphones and press play in my phone (flight mode ON, of course haha). It will sound eerie: I usually end up playing Empire of the Clouds, by Iron Maiden. Look at the lyrics and call me psycho 😅

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I must be the weird guy here.  The only time I listen to music is when I sit down specifically to listen to music and then it's classical.

I never think about playing music when I busy doing something else.  My car is going on 6 years old and I have never played the radio or CD player in it.  I value my quiet time.  I value my quiet time.  I REALLY value my quiet time.

Noel 

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

About the only time I listen to music is when I sit down to my digital pipe organ and practice for a few hours every day. :laugh:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I don't listen to music when I fly. For me, it's in-flight movies......................

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I've made my computer sound card into a synthesizer and instrument emulator, using a free program called Cantabile and plugin's called VST's, that emulate the keyboards of today and yesterday, like the Arp 2600, the Mini and Micro Moog, the Yamaha DX7, the Korg, the Casio and many more.  Also drumkits I have, I can bang away like Phil Collins (my teenage neighbors go crazy, thinking I have a music studio in my apartment, but essentially that is what my Nvidia sound card allows).  Computer sound cards of today are amazing in what they can do, we hear jet noises and prop noises, etc when we are simming, but they can do so much more.

Even cell phones can perform with VST's, but I prefer my computer keyboard.  I published just one weird, off hand New Agey song on Drooble, a place where independent musicians can share their skills, and many of us are around my age--40, 50, 60 even beyond.  Because everyone dreams of going back to their youth and being a music star, and it is said that pilots seem to have a passion for music because of their mathematical knowledge when it comes to navigation.  My favorite instrument is the steel pan, just something so metallic yet melodic about its laid back beach sound.

John

You obviously have some musical talent John.  I have none.  I can't sing, carry a tune, or play any musical instrument.  I may be tone deaf which is why my favorite musical instruments are bag pipes and drums.  The only music videos I watch, and rarely do, are from the tattoos at Edinburgh and highland festivals.  I love Scotland the Brave.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I don’t listen to music while I fly, but I spend a lot of time choosing the music for my videos in the real and simulated world.

Edited by Doering

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K