Sign in to follow this  
Guest JSPuonti

E3 FSX Review at 1Up.com

"What we dislike: The game is still a flight sim, and as such, has a very high barrier of entry, with a steep learning curve.Thats the only negative. He says that like its a bad thing.:)MannyQuote: "S has moved into epic territory. Graphically, the game has increased texture resolution to one meter per pixel, with the ability to have up to 6,000 gorgeously drawn objects per square kilometer. Microsoft showed comparative images from Flight Sim 2004 and FSX, and the difference was palatable, with virtually every single aspect of the world enhanced in dramatic ways. 24 million roads have been mapped into the world, along with animals, birds, star maps, and highly detailed airports. The game's camera, formerly capped at 100,000 feet, now goes up to 100 million feet, effectively modeling space and low orbit."

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest christian

I don't know how they came up with this comment - maybe they just had to add one for the sake of adding one. If you dial down all settings to easy you can sit a monkey in front of your monitor and let him do the flying.Plus, there is all this extra content for newbies like the excellent help articles and the lessons (with the not so excellent humour :( )Christian

This is written tongue in cheek, please don't take this too seriously ;)...> Graphically, the game has increased texture resolution to one meter per pixelCrud, that means more $$$ for me in development costs of my photoscenery... lol, oh wait, not it doesn't lol the satellite images all cost the same :( So that means I can say "cool".It does mean the Megascenery X series will cost me some money though, good thing I didn't invest in the new megacities stuff :) Sure hope the Megascenery guys help us all out with the new stuff by offering discounts... Maybe it's time to sell my Megascenery titles for now...> 6,000 gorgeously drawn objects per square kilometerCrud, more autogen stuff I have to write in with the annotator SDK tool, lol... Well maybe not so much, but increased fidelity I'm sure will mean extra work for the finer details... How much will the 10x increase in autogen cost us processor wise?> 24 million roads have been mapped into the world, along with animals, birds, star maps, and highly detailed airports.Star maps??? Now do they mean SIDS/STARS or Galaxy stars? The star layouts have been pretty good in previous versions of the sim, especially with some 3rd party downloads you could get... I was looking at the defaults last night on a fresh install of FS2004 and I was impressed. I'm guessing they mean stars now have to be modelled with the 3D atmosphere...> The game's camera, formerly capped at 100,000 feet, now goes up to 100 million feet, effectively modeling space and low orbit.lol how far up is 100 million feet in comparison to shuttle orbit for example? What does it mean to the layman? How far up is far up? lol (sorry I'm too lazy to look up info on wikipedia tonight, I just got off work)...---------Sorry for my silly post, just thinking as an FS Addon Developer how much work will now be involved in building new stuff for the sim... :(

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/AndresMok.shtmlThe altitude of a space shuttle orbit is about 1.2 million ft.So, there's plenty of room to model it. I for one would be very interested in a space shuttle sim that began with a break from orbit.Or, what the heck, start with a Cape Canaveral launch and work your way up from there.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest jboweruk

Darn right, we all had to learn the hard way, why shouldn't the next generation of FS addicts LOL

Nice!I've been playing around with Orbiter for a while ('cause of the 100k limit in fs), but always figured the view would be much nicer with flight sim (Orbiter uses one huge texture glued to the Earth as far as I know (or any other planet for that matter)).That'd make for some pretty interesting flights..say, Miami to Sydney in under 90 minutes ? (how's that for a mission? ;))Looking forward to new release.Arnoud

>lol how far up is 100 million feet in comparison to shuttle>orbit for example? What does it mean to the layman? How far>up is far up?1,894 vertical miles... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Theres nothing there we don't know already (ok except star maps). Wheres the inside job review??

>HI,> "6,000 gorgeously drawn objects per square kilometer."Impressive but I really would like to see a dense forest. Whether MSFS can deliver this effect using 6000 trees/1 km sq (expensive in performance ??) or preferably using some other visual 'tricks' I don't care. I want to have an illusion of densly packed trees. ;)Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg