Sign in to follow this  
Shifor

What part of my PC to upgrade?

Hello all! This is my first forum post on AVSIM.

I have a £600 voucher at PCWorld UK https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/index.html and I'm looking to upgrade my computer that I built for flight simming.

Specs:

CPU: i7-8700k 3.7GHz

GPU: PNY GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz

SSD: Samsung (something) 250GB SSD

HDD: Toshiba (something) 3TB HDD

Monitor: HP Omen 25 144hz 1080p 24.5 inch

I want to upgrade but I am unsure of which part of my computer to upgrade for better performance, I usually get around 20 - 25 FPS at Heathrow with the PMDG 747 and I'm looking to bump it to at least 40 or if possible, 50 FPS. A lot of stuttering is present as well when moving around the camera although I'm not sure as if its a problem with Chaseplane or just the simulator, my FPS may not be the best at all times but it's pretty constant so I'm not entirely sure if FPS is the problem. I know that the processor is fine but its the GPU and RAM I'm considering upgrading but I'm still unsure as if it would make much of a difference as I've watched a few benchmarks with the RTX 2070 which is a card I'm definitely eyeballing. 

People have recommend to me a 4K 32 inch monitor at 30Hz should solve stutters. A quality monitor on Amazon prime is £100 cheaper than normal Amazon. Currently I'm looking at this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LU32J590UQUXEN-32-Inch-Ultra-Monitor/dp/B07BVXGBHT/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=2DIXE2HC60PW2&keywords=4k+32+inch+monitor&qid=1555943261&s=gateway&sprefix=4k+32+&sr=8-3

i5 8600K  @4.5Ghz 16GB RAM GTX1060 

1 hour ago, Shifor said:

I know that the processor is fine but its the GPU and RAM I'm considering upgrading but I'm still unsure as if it would make much of a difference as I've watched a few benchmarks with the RTX 2070 which is a card I'm definitely eyeballing.

Upgrading the RAM will make a small improvement but probably not enough to justify the cost and effort of changing it. The GPU is probably your weakest link but, if you stick with 1920x1080 resolution, you'll probably not notice much difference by upgrading it. Unless you move to a higher resolution (which would stretch your GTX 1060, particularly at 4k), overclocking the CPU would give you the biggest performance increase but may need a more efficient cooling solution depending on what you already have.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I would agree that running your CPU at a higher clock rate is the most effective way to increase the performance on your system.  :cool:

The situation you are describing is likely CPU bound.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

1 hour ago, ols500 said:

People have recommend to me a 4K 32 inch monitor at 30Hz should solve stutters. A quality monitor on Amazon prime is £100 cheaper than normal Amazon. Currently I'm looking at this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LU32J590UQUXEN-32-Inch-Ultra-Monitor/dp/B07BVXGBHT/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=2DIXE2HC60PW2&keywords=4k+32+inch+monitor&qid=1555943261&s=gateway&sprefix=4k+32+&sr=8-3

Just have to emphasize that not all "stutters" are created equal.. :wink:

Micro stutters may well be helped by a 30 HZ monitor, but performance problems at heavy duty airports, unfortunately need more raw CPU power..

Bert