Sign in to follow this  
GeeBee

Anyone Else Underwhelmed by PBR and the Awful Liquid Shimmer ?

I tend to agree that PBR textures need the "LM upgrade" before they will look better than their non PBR counterparts. I hardly ever see my own aircraft's textures, but I have an airport (Digital Design EGGP Liverpool) that includes PBR textures, and the excessive shimmering is not an improvement over standard textures. Hopefully, that will change when LM provides the fix.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

26 minutes ago, ZKOKQ said:

I would pole dance in a purple nightie and fish nets just to get sloped runways

Looking forward to an video of it!

*hinthint* ... they are already there, addons with sloped runways are available. For example EDDF with its sloped taxiway from RWY 18 to the Terminals. Only the AI can't use them.

• Upvote 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

2 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

Looking forward to an video of it!

*hinthint* ... they are already there, addons with sloped runways are available. For example EDDF with its sloped taxiway from RWY 18 to the Terminals. Only the AI can't use them.

The method is not really sloped runway is just a poly with a platform so the aircraft can taxi, once you are in the edge it's like you fall from a step so is not really implemented yet.

It's a fake there should be some calculation to create a vertical profile with much more degree of smoothing so the wheels can act like normal compression of damper and in terms of physics is not taking into account, we know how much p3d is forgiving.

IMHO even in XP 11 it doesn't work, there is still this feeling of step.

Car racing simulations are more reliable in this domain, like Aassetto Corsa or Project cars etc.

Edited by simbio
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, simbio said:

Car racing simulations are more reliable in this domain, like Aassetto Corsa or Project cars etc.

Looking at racing sims and their very, very, VERY limited area they have to simulate compared to full earth sims like P3D or XP doesn't make race sims a measure regarding sloped surfaces. They can throw masses of polygons just on the surface where flightsims can't.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

One of the glories of flight is the visual, sights and sounds of aviation. With that in mind we know P3D is suppose to be primarily a training platform. Seems that would lead LM to spend their resources more on such things as flight dynamics, rolling ground friction, weather interactions, updating default airports and more realistic and current ATC as well as the mentioned sloping runways to name a few, rather then enhancing eye candy to appeal more to the entertainment venue.

But it is what it is and I'm going to enjoy making the most of what it is.😊

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Vic green

What's wrong with PBR at V4.4? Maybe can be done better, but I like it. I don't see any big problems.

rKw3hGe.jpg

VMEo2Ng.jpg

uZyn0NG.jpg

Edited by Urmel81

2 hours ago, Urmel81 said:

What's wrong with PBR at V4.4? Maybe can be done better, but I like it. I don't see any big problems.

Agree.

Shimmering and jaggies? I'm not seeing this.

wqVeucU.jpg

TSSsPZb.jpg

5nZvqHt.jpg

5 hours ago, Urmel81 said:

rKw3hGe.jpg

VMEo2Ng.jpg

uZyn0NG.jpg

No night examples...

I think this is being massively overblown.

The issue is SSAA doesn't work properly with PBR and it just looks like MSAA, so from some angles you get some jaggies.

Although it looks 100x better in every other situation.

PBR does need improvement. The airplanes that use pbr don't really reflect anything at night time. 

Also, the pbr implementation right now doesn't quite give the full reflection spectrum. Xplane does this much better.

Then there are issues with dusk and Dawn reflection rendering. 

Either way, I'm glad LM started to put this in P3d. It needed to get done and it's a huge step in the right direction. 

Let's just hope they improve it over time.

• Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

"The airplanes that use pbr don't really reflect anything at night time".

Then there is possibly something not quite right with your set up.

I just checked mine and with a PMDG BA 747 sitting at EHAM at 10pm, 4.5 is showing lovely reflections from the Floodlights.

Ian Harrison

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

I'm not underwhelmed because i have realised that we are still at the beginning of the PBR inplementation where is still big room for improvements from LM and the texture artists. 

Signature3.png

Don’t forget the developers do play a large part of what it looks like. 

• Like 2