Sign in to follow this  
GeeBee

Anyone Else Underwhelmed by PBR and the Awful Liquid Shimmer ?

Yuk.

Keep it.

Overdone.

Only goods really close up.

Needs 4xSGSS to get rid of the dripping oil effect, and that reduces my FPS from 60 to 25 fps in the PMDG... if there are any 3D clouds around.

I'll call it now ..... they won't be able to fix this.

Please give us a non-PBR alternative set of textures, or I for one will be going back to 4.3

Edited by GeeBee
  • Upvote 2

So are you posting this in all of the forums you visit?  If you are seeing liquid shimmering I recommend you review your display settings.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

They will be able to fix it. It's quite an easy fix to be honest but I guess it isn't too high on their priority list.

Do you really think a few jaggies really makes it look worse than non PBR though?

49 minutes ago, itsjase said:

Do you really think a few jaggies really makes it look worse than non PBR though?

I honestly do. Mine has a few more than just a ‘few’ jaggies. 

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Basically I agree: with reflections on max, most airplanes show way to much reflection (I guess this is what the TS meant with "dripping oil effect"). Not directly related to PBR though, this was like this before the introduction of PBR. In contrast, the jaggies are really a little bit annoying but I can live with those, as a properly done PBR repaint really adds to the immersion otherwise.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Anytime Lockheed adds a new rendering feature it takes about a year for it to be good.

20 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Anytime Lockheed adds a new rendering feature it takes about a year for it to be good.

I feel like it's going to be a big focus of V5, and they released it early so addons can get all the PBR stuff ready.

Same with dynamic lights in V3.

1 hour ago, John_Tavendale said:

P3D PBR leaves a lot to be desired.

Most of the time it looks like a moist plastic tube

Milky!

David Warner

BetaTeamB.png

11 hours ago, downscc said:

So are you posting this in all of the forums you visit?  If you are seeing liquid shimmering I recommend you review your display settings.

Just here and PMDG. It is not only a PMDG issue. Hope that is OK.

😉

10 hours ago, itsjase said:

They will be able to fix it. It's quite an easy fix to be honest but I guess it isn't too high on their priority list.

Yes I do. This is my opinion.

I think it is over rated and definitely not worth the horrible jaggies and shimmering.

Reminds me of the mip mapping issue in FS9.

LM have managed to introduce a new kind of artefact that cannot be cured unless you utilise SGSS via the nvidia driver.

But fear not, as I have simply copied the texture folders from the December 747 update that have PBR and all is back to normal.

Can't wait to see airports made from PBR and all the ai planes as well. It will look like someone's smeared vaseline all over my spectacles.

Yuk.

Me no buy, guy.

2 hours ago, John_Tavendale said:

P3D PBR leaves a lot to be desired.

Most of the time it looks like a moist plastic tube

There you go !

Perfect description.....better than my "dripping with oil" !

The combination of PBR and dynamic reflections is horrid. 

But it does seem to be a bit 'marmite'. So horses for courses.

To conclude, to devs, can we just have the choice..... please.

With dynamic lighting, some like it and put up with the performance drop. Some don't but at least we have a chouce by simply disabling it. Unfortunately the only way to erradicate this PBR is to have seperate liveries.

A guy has already done a repaint for the new Carenado ATR, and now he is doing a non-pbr version. It can be done to cater for everyone.

Edited by GeeBee

1 hour ago, itsjase said:

I feel like it's going to be a big focus of V5, and they released it early so addons can get all the PBR stuff ready.

Same with dynamic lights in V3.

My expectations are much bigger than better PBR. 

I'm hoping terrain and autogen gets a complete redo and that backward compatibility stopped for scenery related addons.

Edited by ErichB

I would pole dance in a purple nightie and fish nets just to get sloped runways

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.