Sign in to follow this  
frankla

Glass Panels for the Cessna?

I know nothing official has been announced so ACES cant answer this.... yet...I am wondering, and kinda suspect that the new Cessnas in FSX might have glass panels...see:http://skyhawk.cessna.com/avionics.chtmlhttp://skyhawk.cessna.com/poppanel.htmlcan't wait to see if the panels have been overhauled...

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

Guest tdragger

Yeah, that would be cool, but pretty complicated for the average user, don't you think? I still can't remember all the GPS commands and I owned a GNS430!

lol who says 'as real as it gets' roflol oh that's right MSFT's marketing guru's... Mike you might need to tell em to cut ya a break roflol...hmm... still wonderin here... lolTell me about the GPS thing, I got so lost with the GPS in FS2004 :( I still have no clue how to use it... I tried to re-import my FS2002 GPS into FS2004, but found it wouldn't run :(

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

"Yeah, that would be cool, but pretty complicated for the average user, don't you think?"Well, that wasn't a "no".... ;)I'd like to see them too. No more complicated than steam gauges and a separate GPS. More complicated for the average programmer, perhaps... hee hee------Andrew

Well think about it this way... Cessna comes out with some Whiz Bang cockpit arrangement which is aimed at prepping student pilots for the glass gauge heavies...Now Cessna is a 'partner' for FS... I'm pretty sure they'd push to have the new technology showcased in FSX so that they can make more sales of their new aircraft :), otherwise I'm pretty sure their 'endorsement' of FS would be starting to be questioned...I guess we just have to wait for the official announcement :( lol"99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer............." :-lolACES, do I get the 'sharp cookie award' if I'm right???And where did the FOD comment come from in one of the ACES blogs? Someone was doing research lol... Does that mean FOD modelling and birdstrikes in FSX??? :-lol

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

Consider that the G1000 trainer from Garmin by itself brings many computers to their knees....I am sure if reality xp were to get permission they could tap in like they do with the present 430/530 and we could have a fully functional g1000-but if all one got was a slide show it wouldn't do much good.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest vanilla-henry

Hm, I would also love to see the G1000 as an option... However, MS should leave the classic cockpit as well. Additionally, I would say that mastering the glass cockpit is possible, at least for the intermediate user - I bought the great Cirrus S20G2 from Eaglesoft, which does not have the G1000, but the Avidyne glass cockpit, and it is simply great. I would say that it takes you 2 hours at max till you are familiar with it (given that you already have some experience with more classical GA aircraft). However, it seems to be impossible to include the moving map (according to Eaglesoft) besides the two GPS, as its impact on the system would be rather heavy.

The G1000 has a steeper (relativly speaking) learning curve than the Avidyne unit.BTW... http://www.projectmagenta.com/has been working on one. Click on "software" to the left menu list. Then on "General Aviation Glass Cockpit (imminent)".Only thing is...it has been on "imminent" status for the last 8 months or so. ;)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest vanilla-henry

In what sense are the both glass cockpits different with respect to the learning curve? Dont worry - I dont doubt your argument, I just dont know about the G1000, except of photos.

I suspect that around the time that FSX is released, there will be a fully-functional G1000 system available that is NOT simply an XML-wannabe, and will be based entirely on the FSX sim data...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill,You mean by Eaglesoft?:(WOW!Manny

Manny

>In what sense are the both glass cockpits different with>respect to the learning curve? Dont worry - I dont doubt your>argument, I just dont know about the G1000, except of photos.Avidyne is very straight forward buttons and its GPS is seperate the Garmin 430s.In the Garmin G1000 Its integrated. If you are famiar with the GNS530 or the GNS430, you would have a headsup but still its got lots more butons. The Buttonologyy itself is more complex IMO. I spent more time watching and rewatching the DVD that Garmin putsout for training. (BTW.. the Sporty's G1000 DVD and the Avidyne DVD are pieces of crap. Its got like 5% of what Garmin has in their DVD..It was more like an informacial than anything). This was inspite of my familarity with the Garmin G530. I hardly had to spend anytime with the Avidyne unit. BTW.. this is just my impression.I flew a cross country with the G1000. the most useful funtion was the TCAS?? Traffic advisory. I saw so many planes around me it was so crowded and I was paranoid. Ignorance is bliss you know. :). BTW. .the G1000 also has a playback mode. If the ATC issues you an instruction and you miss it, you get to play back with a push of a button. less need for "Say again" ;)If you are really interested, I would suggest you go to the Garmin site and order their G1000 sim. Its probably $5 + postage. If you have a decent computer at home, you can use it for training and also get a feel for it. They also have manuals there. Download it and take a peak.Manny

Manny

You really don't need to be rude to convey a message, do you? Anyway to tdragger: almost all the new airplanes come with glass cockpit, so I disagree about it being too complicated. I promise you that you will need to incorporate glass cockpit in the next version of FS, or FS would look very archaic!

You don't need to model all the features of G1000. The Garmin 530 in FS is not modeled to show all the features!

Guest tdragger

That's why it's a 500! ;)Using the 80/20 rule maybe we need to include a G800!!!