Sign in to follow this  
frankla

Glass Panels for the Cessna?

"Using the 80/20 rule maybe we need to include a G800!!!" - TDLets settle for finishing that G500 to a G530..and throw in that G800 as a bonus. You got yourself a deal governor.Manny:)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

that's precisely the kind of comment that probably was the reason why Microsoft people weren't posting publicly in forums until recently.The vast majority of aircraft don't have all those fancy expensive computer displays.Their owners don't want or need them and often couldn't afford them if they could.They're luxury additions to an already expensive passtime, and keeping them working also costs a lot of money (thousands a year just for the data cartridges for a GPS map for example, plus tens of thousands for the thing itself).Personally, I don't want such things in FS at all. I use the GPS as a moving map in lue of a worldwide set of printed charts, and that's about it.I want to do things myself rather than push a few buttons and watch the slideshow.

let's settle for dumping all advanced instrumentation and returning to it being a FLIGHT simulator rather than a Garmin simulator.

Scenery is needed to navigate by if you don't rely on fancy hightech computer gadgets to show you where you are.I Follow Roads and Rivers.Turn 30 degrees left towards the steep mountain when you come to the third bend in the river after you pass the dam.About 5 minutes on after passing a small forest of pines you'll see the airport on the far side of the highway running east to west.Can't fly that route without scenery...

>Bill,>>You mean by Eaglesoft?...or somebody... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>let's settle for dumping all advanced instrumentation and>returning to it being a FLIGHT simulator rather than a Garmin>simulator.Ahh- one that resists change. I work with many just like you! :)

>Scenery is needed to navigate by if you don't rely on fancy>hightech computer gadgets to show you where you are.>But..........In the fall/winter, here in my state of mountainous territory; whiteouts, total black darkness, clouds at night, clouds obscurring rising terrain, missed instrument approaches & loss of situational awarness with flight into terrain, are getting two or three unsuspecting pilots every year. These "new" advancements in hightech computer gadgets will go along way in helping pilots get out of "being lost" situations. These accidents still happen to commercial and military pilots as well as general aviation.A glass panel such as the Garmin 1000 or Avidyne can also present up-linked satellite weather patterns for hundreds of miles in all directions from the aircraft. That's a huge advancement in safety! Up to date TFR's, other aircraft in the vicinity, restricted airspace and Class B boundaries are also right on the screen, as well as Jeppeson airport charts for the departure & destination airports. The future will bring sythesized 3D terrain to the glass panel, which will make IMC flight and instrument approaches as easy as watching a computer flight simulation. This will be a fantastic added margin to safety! This is available now on a limited bases. As I've mentioned before, I've kept track of flight into terrain accidents for many years. I've used moving map GPS's since the early ninty's. I'm a real believer in technology that will make flight safer. In the experimental/homebuilt market with many aircraft approaching $100,000 to 300,000 just for materials, glass is becoming the thing to have. The basic six-pac panel is on it's way out. Nearly every GA aircraft manufacture is also going to glass. The "home" simulator is the perfect place to get aquainted with this technology.Bring on the GLASS!!! :-hah L.Adamson

>The vast majority of aircraft don't have all those fancy>expensive computer displays.>Their owners don't want or need them and often couldn't afford>them if they could.The majority of new GA airplanes are now going glass. The vacuum system is on it's way out, and panels are going all electric.Owners are loving glass. Most of the new "training" airplanes at the airport next door to my home, have glass installed. It's the future! Let's don't pretend that glass is just a limited luxury. L.Adamson

"However, it seems to be impossible to include the moving map (according to Eaglesoft) besides the two GPS, as its impact on the system would be rather heavy."This is a misunderstanding of what we have said...1. We have never stated that it is impossible to have a "moving map" since our Avidynes already contain "moving map". You are referring to the Terrain Map underlay which is indeed a tough nut to crack without bringing systems to their knees, but we do have an alpha version that runs very poorly at this point in time.2. We are constantly working to find more efficient ways to accomplish this goal but "it ain't soup yet":-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest vanilla-henry

Oh, I was wrong than - I referred to the terrain map! I really appreciate that you people from eaglesoft (and ms as well!) constantly comment in this forum, thank you! And, btw, though I would love to see the terrain map, my system would probably be the first to break down, with a first generation Centrino and Intel 8xx chipset, so I (again) appreciate that you guys take care of slower systems. And let me point out again how much I love your Cirrus, it's absolutely beautiful and the best add-on plane I bought so far. Now your are asking how fs9 can run on such a crappy machine... Well, it does, and even pretty well imo.

>Oh, I was wrong than - I referred to the terrain map! I>really appreciate that you people from eaglesoft (and ms as>well!) constantly comment in this forum, thank you! And, btw,>though I would love to see the terrain map, my system would>probably be the first to break down, with a first generation>Centrino and Intel 8xx chipset, so I (again) appreciate that>you guys take care of slower systems. And let me point out>again how much I love your Cirrus, it's absolutely beautiful>and the best add-on plane I bought so far. >>Now your are asking how fs9 can run on such a crappy>machine... Well, it does, and even pretty well imo.Thanks for the kind words and we are glad to hear that you are enjoying our Cirrus on such a system :-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest JeanLuc_

It is a misconception to think Terrain map = Bad performance!You'll be amazed at how good the Reality XP ST3400 TAWS/RMI (Terrain map directly from the 3D terrain mesh of FS + sophisticated EGPWS terrain collision detection) runs on any computer.Hope this helps!