Sign in to follow this  
StewartH

Landing lights and taxi lights

Is it the case in RL that this aircraft's landing light(s) are located on the nose wheel and the taxi  lights are located on the wings?  This is backwards, to my way of thinking, yet this is what I observed last night in preparing for a night flight out of KMRY Monterey.  Can someone perhaps point me to a fix that's been posted, or perhaps a correction someplace in the aircraft.cfg, please?

Thanks!

Stew

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

There's no fix needed since this is the way it is IRL as well...and it makes sense. 

Edited by FDEdev

Here is a post from one of the earliest pages in this very forum.  May be page 7 or 8.  Edit. Its on Page 8

PA46T FSX - Cumulative Service Pack 20120118 RELEASED
By Carenado, January 18, 2012 in PA46T Malibu JetProp HD Series FSX | P3D 

Posted January 18, 2012

This is a cumulative service pack.

YOU DON´T NEED THIS SERVICE PACK IF YOU DOWNLOADED THE AIRCRAFT AFTER JANUARY 13TH, 2012 AT 2100 GMT

This service pack fixes:- Some issues related to Reality XP integration (Already fixed in the previous service pack).- Operation of some switches and buttons GNS430 and/or GNS530 from Reality XP was installed (Already fixed in the previous service pack).- Ice deflector message.- Fuel pressure gauge (which indicated lower than green arch always).- Small pilot window (which kept its reflections even with window reflections turned off).- Fuel quantity digital and analog readout (didn’t fit together).- Taxi and Landing lights were inverted.You can get it in your account at our webpage.Carenado

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Now I'm confused, sorry!  FDEdev says the lights are correct.  Frank's post seems to imply the original issue has been updated by a service pack.  I downloaded an update from PC Aviator which allowed installation into P3D--that is, it was an update for installation into P3D dated 7/12/2017, since my original purchase was for FSX.  Wouldn't this update have corrected the issue?  Then again, maybe not, and I need to find that update. 

Stew

16 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

There's no fix needed since this is the way it is IRL as well...and it makes sense. 

It makes sense that the landing lights are on the nose wheel?  That's not the case with the Cheyenne II--the landing lights are on the wings, the same company that made the Malibu.

Stew

Yes,

22 minutes ago, StewartH said:

It makes sense that the landing lights are on the nose wheel? 

Why not? The taxi lights are outboard on the wing the offer much more lighting to the left and right of the airplane, almost like runway turnoff lights on an airliner. 

This configuration wouldn't make sense on a Cheyenne or similar twins because the large nacelles are blocking the view. 

Concerning the version; suggest to check the date of the install exe. If it's newer than the date given for the patch then you have the latest version.

Edited by FDEdev

17 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Yes,

Why not? The taxi lights are outboard on the wing the offer much more lighting to the left and right of the airplane, almost like runway turnoff lights on an airliner. 

This configuration wouldn't make sense on a Cheyenne or similar twins because the large nacelles are blocking the view. 

Stated this way, I guess it makes sense, but the Cessna 310R from Milviz has a taxi light on the nose wheel and landing lights on the wings, and those aren't so small engine nacelles on that bird. I'm still confused about the statement in Frank's post about the update that the landing and taxi lights were inverted.  This is where I'm confused, I guess.  Did my dl in 2017 include any kind of correction, or was the original configuration actually correct?  Or what?  Hard to say two years after the fact.

And taxiing at night, I want to see the guidelines on the taxiway--the nose light highlights it perfectly, the lights on the wings do not.

Edited by StewartH

Stew

13 minutes ago, StewartH said:

1. Did my dl in 2017 include any kind of correction, or was the original configuration actually correct?  Or what?  Hard to say two years after the fact.

2. And taxiing at night, I want to see the guidelines on the taxiway--the nose light highlights it perfectly, the lights on the wings do not.

1.  Since the patch has been issued in 2012 your 2017 patch for sure is the latest version.

2. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use the landing light for taxiing as well 🙂 

42 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

2. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use the landing light for taxiing as well 🙂

Yep, that's what I did last night.  Thanks for the advice, sir.

44 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

1.  Since the patch has been issued in 2012 your 2017 patch for sure is the latest version.

That's my impression, as well. 

Stew

Just to wrap up the discussion about the landing lights and taxi lights.  From an old archived discussion back in 2012, the point was made that, indeed, Piper fashioned the taxi lights to be placed outboard on the wings, and the landing light to be placed on the nose wheel.  I still find that strange, as did the poster back in 2012.  But there ya go...

Stew