Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbolt44

RC is Slow in Contacting Tower

I recently had to uninstall and reinstall P3Dv4.4.  Part of this was having to reinstall RC.  I went ahead and downloaded a fresh download.  Also downloaded and installed the latest FSUIPC5 and MakeRunways.

Everything seemed to be slow for the first couple of flights, and then I got a Runtime 53 error, which after correcting, speeded everything up until being handed off to Approach.  Then I got another window, not a runtime, which after google caused me to reinstall my FSUICP5 and Make Runways files.  I still have standbys and delays during the Approach phase although it has improved.  I have always hit 4 and requested the whole approach.  It's still slow, but this morning I was on an ILS into Denver, and RC, at the OM, directed me to contact the Tower.  The Tower freq came up right away, and I hit 1 to contact them, but I was about down to 500' by the time they came on and cleared me to land.  I'm getting ready to reinstall RC, but thought I'd check with you guys before doing that.  Any pointers here?

Mike Nicholson, Jetline Systems PC, 4.20 Intel 4 Core i7-7700k CDU, Nividia GTX 1060 6GB card,  32722 mbs memory, Windows 10- 64bit, Prepar3D v4.4

Mike, there’s no need to reinstall RC4 because you had to install P3D again. They’re independent of each other.

You don’t say what Ai package if any you have. The more Ai in close proximity to an airport the harder RC4 has to work. What is the response time like when you fly to quieter airports?

Knowing your Ai package and % would help.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

I only have A-1 Chatter checked, and I don't get much chatter.  I'm not sure when you ask for a %; however, this morning I was on an IFR cross country from KMSN, Dane Co Regl-Truax into KSDF, Louisville Intl.  It was better.  Approach responded fairly quick.  When I hit 4 I got a stand by.  After more time than you would expect, I didn't get the window to verify the approach, but directly got the window to select the runway.  Turned out it was a VOR Approach, but I had no trouble just flying the ILS.  For the first time, Approach handed me off to the Tower at the OM.  Tower answered right away, cleared me to land and handed me off to ground after landing.

I know P3D says you do not need to reinstall addon programs, but I have always run into miner problems and it seems it is a lot just easier to do a fresh reinstall with several programs, RC being one I have always reinstalled.  I have always thought in the past that RC has improved as you use it.  This has really been true this time. I will try not using the AI Chatter next flight. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?  Take care, Mike

MIke, I believe enabling Ai Chatter does cause a significant hit on performance. Try without it and you'll be fine.

It sounds like you don't have an Ai package like MyTraffic or Ultimate Traffic LIve. Those definitely enhance RC as you're not alone in the skies. The Ai Chatter tries to replicate that but with a penalty.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

It seems like when I use a program for so long, I fail to check the manual. I had the interact with AI checked, but I also had the AI chatter checked by mistake.  I flew an IFR flight this morning with my DC-6 without AI Chatter checked.  The approach phase worked fine although we just shot an ILS Rwy18 approach into KDAY, Dayton, OH so that is not as busy as a lot of places.  We'll continue to work this out.  As always, your advice is appreciated.  Mike

• Upvote 1