Sign in to follow this  
Ian McPhail

GTN 750

There are three .exe file options in the aircraft folder in SimObjects to install the FMC into the ATR.   There is an entry I presume for the Aircraft.cfg file.  Which one of these should I install for P3Dv4, and with the text installed will it take over as the FMS entirely and give full functionality to the autopilot.  As you can guess I have never used the GTN before, but if it gives a better automatic flight option(s), then I will go find the appropriate manual.

I have, and inserted the text into the aircraft.cfg file.  The 750 is placed into the aircraft in a good position, but It will not turn on and off.  Only the built-in FMS continues to work.

Unfortunately the documentation gives no hint as to which exe to use, and no clue how to make one of them operational.

It has dawned on me slowly that these are options for GTN owners.  Now I know why I get that blank screen.  I'm not sure this plane is worth the investment.

Of course you can only use the Flight1 (or RXP) GTN750, if you own this gauge. This GPS is really worth the money, i recommend it to every GA pilot. But in a small comercial airliner like the ATR 42-500 or Saab 340 it is not the right thing to use. But even in this airplanes the GTN750 makes things much easier...

Allways three greens,
Markus

VFR-Flightsimmer.de

As I understand it you dont own the GTN750? If that is the case I would like to mention that RXP has a discount sale on their GTN750 at the moment. Not sure when it will end. But you can find it here Ian: http://www.reality-xp.com/

Like Pidder says it feels weird slapping a GTN in the ATR but in Carenado planes, it's often a necessity.

• Like 1

Right now the Reality Xp is $35, about 45% less than Flight1's.  I bought the XP it's fantastic and well worth the money!  Paying $65.00 was never an option for ME..too much $  

Edited by Phillip Gallagher

Yeah but for the Flight1 GTN you get both the 750 and 650, thats why its more expensive. You can buy both from RealityXP too but its roughly the same price anyway.

Also for anyone who havent bought it yet. Be aware of that RealityXP has both the GTN for p3d and XP. So make sure you pick the correct one for your sim.

That is a great deal for the RXP GTN750 that I purchased it myself last night and played around with it for a little bit, heard and seen so many reviews and comments about this GTN750.  I think I am really going to like this addon very much!  Thanks Reality XP for the discount!

On 4/25/2019 at 11:27 AM, Ian McPhail said:

It has dawned on me slowly that these are options for GTN owners.  Now I know why I get that blank screen.  I'm not sure this plane is worth the investment.

I can recommend the GTN750 Ian if you are undecided about it. I use the Flight1 GTN series and it will function in a large number of aircraft. As has already been mentioned, in Carenado aircraft it is almost a necessity as their in-house developed FMS systems tend to fall a bit short.

The GTN was mainly intended as a general aviation utility and, as far as I know, is usually not installed in real world airliners. It will however function with quite a few simulated airliners and has the great advantage of providing a degree of uniformity across different types so that you don’t have to spend time learning to use various different FMS systems as applied to different airliners. I personally prefer to use either a Boeing FMS or the GTN750 if possible depending on what I am flying as I am familiar with both of these systems and it saves my ageing brain becoming confused by trying to learn and remember the nuances of a variety of different systems. 

Bill

Scaianor:   I gave in and bought the F1GTN 750, it came in a bundle in fact with the 600, 500 series etc.  Because of the accompanying text in the Carenado download, installation was very easy, (once I bought it). I am using Simbrief to build plans, which is great, and the GTN seems to have a better navdata base than Navigraph even.  It took me a long, and I mean long time working through manuals and videos to work out how to switch from VLOC to GPS.  Dead simple once I found it.  I am also having trouble with VNAV.  I found the VNAV Calc in Utilities as described but I cannot make it work as required .  Even with VNAV disabled I can't choose the descent point, or distance from or whatever.  I'll keep watching tutorials, unfortunately I don't think the manuals have quite caught up with the latest version!

But in spite of my learning problems it has proved an absolute delight.

Now the ATR45 has become a favourite, and I will need to ask about for the dimensions for the Carenado SF340.

Edited by Ian McPhail

On 4/28/2019 at 3:38 AM, Ian McPhail said:

I am also having trouble with VNAV.  I found the VNAV Calc in Utilities as described but I cannot make it work as required

Hi Ian, 

I’ve had the F1 GTN for quite a few years and I am very familiar with the LNAV functions which I agree are great. However the VNAV element, as you know, is a fairly recent addition to this and I have to admit that I haven’t quite got to grips with it either. Sometimes it seems to function as I would expect but on other occasions the aircraft descends at too fast a rate and  then I have to level off prematurely. That however might well be down to me rather than the GTN (!) as I have a tendency to adopt a ‘teach yourself’ technique and perhaps a bit more time on the manuals is needed!

BTW, the 750 will also integrate into the SF340 panel.

Kind regards,

Bill

Edited by scianoir

I believe the VNAV Calculation is based on current speed, so if you put 5000ft @ waypoint A @ -1500fpm it give you a timer on when to descend. It's constantly updates requiring it to be open and monitored if you want a precise descent.

i use it only as a reference, I'm not sure a Boeing style 'TOD' can be displayed on the route map.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:03 PM, Pidder said:

Of course you can only use the Flight1 (or RXP) GTN750, if you own this gauge. This GPS is really worth the money, i recommend it to every GA pilot. But in a small comercial airliner like the ATR 42-500 or Saab 340 it is not the right thing to use. But even in this airplanes the GTN750 makes things much easier...

Indeed and I was always the same opinion about GTNs in real world use. GTN in an airliner? What the heck??? But then I stumbled about this one from 2014:

[...]EASA has certified the installation of the dual touchscreen-controlled Garmin GTN 725 in the ATR 42 and ATR 72 aircraft, Garmin announced Monday, saying the GTN 725 GPS navigators expand the operating utility of the ATR 42/72, by offering Precision-Area Navigation (P-RNAV) capabilities to operators in Europe. [...]

There was even a realworld cockpit picture retrofitted with two GTNs...  Its still weird but looks like even in real world its an option...

Cheers

T.

• Like 1

In the latest update to the GTN from Flight1, you can only use the VNAV function for the altitude restrictions in an approach.

If there are say 3 altitude constraints in the approach, each comes up in order.

Type in your desired descent rate and it gives you time and dist to TOD to that waypoint.

Once passed, the next published restriction appears in the window and gives you the same time to descent point and so on.

Far from ideal but better than nought.

Edited by Gabe777