Sign in to follow this  
=Hollywood=

Shadows

Guest heclak

Will shadows of aircraft be improved in FSX? The shadows in FS9 are awfully unreal as they are too clear no matter how far they are from the plane. They should fade as they become further from the source. How about washing out of the shadows by other sources of lights esp during the night.

Hi,Improved? Maybe.In the ways you describe? Probably not.Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

To accomplish this a ray-tracing algorithm would have to be used and they are very, very computing intensive. Also the current shadows seems way too strong. But again, all these problems could be solved if you had an infinite amount of computer power - I am afraid it may take a few generations of hardware to make it happen. I currently have no problem with turning the shadows off - not only I get performance boost but things actually seem to look better ;)Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest heclak

how about softer edges of shadows. It would just be gaussian blurring the shadows right? Intensity could also be reduced a little at certain times of the day.

Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

>Will shadows of aircraft be improved in FSX? The shadows in>FS9 are awfully unreal as they are too clear no matter how far>they are from the plane. They should fade as they become>further from the source. How about washing out of the shadows>by other sources of lights esp during the night. No change in aircraft shadowing along the lines described (or with soft edges). Cheers,jason

you'd probably have to wait for the next generation of video cards past the upcoming DX10 enabled cards...One day we might even have caustics as well, but having come from FS2.0 I have to say, I don't have any reason to be impatient. It'll happen one day...I'm sure that even the guys at ACES will like to see the day video cards allow us to create on the fly animations with bones and muscles ;)...I know that day will be cool... Right now, it's just not possible with the technology available...

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR