Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Are FSX and P3D becoming step children?

On 4/26/2019 at 9:41 AM, pmb said:

I don't take any of the mid- to long-term predictions of JV seriously anymore. Add the former statement Prepar3d will be the long-term initial-release platform of all of their sceneries. Plus, I could add an extended list from the past, notably on the Global/Vector/OpenLC product range.

I understand any enterprise has do adapt to changing market needs. However, such bold statements being violated and revoked within a few months or even less is simply noncredible.

I say this despite I own nearly all of their products and enjoy them as they have a number of really gifted developers in the crew. 

Kind regards, Michael

I wouldn't deny the right to John V to crank out cash cows and to focus,rigt now, on the XP  market which has been starved of good sceneries for a long time. At the end of the day, OrbX good health is in my selfish interest as a simmer . No competition, remember☺️.

But I feel a little sorry hat he borrows from the Hollywood book of tricks. If it made money once, shoot a remake.  They are on track to remake all the regions they've made before (Great Britain and the West coast, I suppose that  Norway and Germany will come afterwards) instead pushing TE (or, yes!, landclass-based tech  😂) on new regions like Florida, Southern Rockies, the Appalachians, Italy, Greece, Japan, etc.    And if Africa  OpenLC may be released this year, I am pretty convinced that we won't see Asia OpenLC before a looooong time (never say never but...). 

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

55 minutes ago, domkle said:

I suppose that  Norway and Germany will come afterwards

I wish. JV said that ortho scenery for Norway is way too expensive right now and I remember him saying the same about Germany. (And Australia too.) Pity. Norway is my favorite country by far. I think upcoming TE sceneries will be situated in the US mainly.

3 hours ago, Paraffin said:

If that ends up working well, I hope they release it as a separate product from the xEnviro weather plugin.

I'm one of those who can't use xEnviro because there isn't enough adjustment on injected winds and cloud base, compared to default weather or something like ActiveSkyXP. But it would be great to have just the snow effect as a separate plugin (if it works).

There are free winter textures, and other seasonal textures for Xplane11, but I have not downloaded them due to disk space issues.  But they are free and can be found via the .org.

John

I too would like to see more FTX regions compatible with the existing FTX regions.  The Southern Rockies, for instance, to complete the west coast of North America.

I don't care to fixate on what roads look like as long as they are depicted and I can see the traffic running on them.  I suppose those great roads in XP also have ai trucks and busses and automobiles running on them?

I am also a fan of addons like My Traffic that has  lots of ai airliners and general aviation aircraft all over the world.  Orbx GA ai for North America and Australia adds a lot to what some call 'immersion'.  And Nielsen Ships that have all kinds of cargo ships plying the waters of the world. It's a delight to fly from my home base of Novato California just north of San Francisco to Half Moon Bay and see the automobile traffic on the Golden Gate Bridge and Nielsen's tall ships sailing under the Golden Gate.

I fly about three or four days a week.  Sometimes more.  Shorter flights of an hour or two from say Lake Tahoe to Klamath Falls.  Or from Milford Sound to Christchurch.  Or from Cairns to Brisbane.  Or from Frankfort to Munich.  Or from Alesund to Oslo.  Or from Edinburgh to London.  Or maybe just discovering a piece of Iceland.

P3D/Orbx is my imaginary world where I can escape these days of so many world problems.  My imaginary world where there are no wars and I need no passport and I can fly through so many Orbx regions.

Until XP can match that I'll stick to P3D and hope Orbx doesn't forget and leave behind those simulators, FSX and P3D, that made them great.

Noel

PS: Hopefully some people from Orbx are reading this thread and can respond to reassure us that FSX/P3D are still on their minds.  JV?  Unfortunately I have been banished from the Orbx family and cannot post these sentiments over there.

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

48 minutes ago, birdguy said:

I too would like to see more FTX regions compatible with the existing FTX regions.  The Southern Rockies, for instance, to complete the west coast of North America.

I don't care to fixate on what roads look like as long as they are depicted and I can see the traffic running on them.  I suppose those great roads in XP also have ai trucks and busses and automobiles running on them?

I am also a fan of addons like My Traffic that has  lots of ai airliners and general aviation aircraft all over the world.  Orbx GA ai for North America and Australia adds a lot to what some call 'immersion'.  And Nielsen Ships that have all kinds of cargo ships plying the waters of the world. It's a delight to fly from my home base of Novato California just north of San Francisco to Half Moon Bay and see the automobile traffic on the Golden Gate Bridge and Nielsen's tall ships sailing under the Golden Gate.

I fly about three or four days a week.  Sometimes more.  Shorter flights of an hour or two from say Lake Tahoe to Klamath Falls.  Or from Milford Sound to Christchurch.  Or from Cairns to Brisbane.  Or from Frankfort to Munich.  Or from Alesund to Oslo.  Or from Edinburgh to London.  Or maybe just discovering a piece of Iceland.

P3D/Orbx is my imaginary world where I can escape these days of so many world problems.  My imaginary world where there are no wars and I need no passport and I can fly through so many Orbx regions.

Until XP can match that I'll stick to P3D and hope Orbx doesn't forget and leave behind those simulators, FSX and P3D, that made them great.

Noel

PS: Hopefully some people from Orbx are reading this thread and can respond to reassure us that FSX/P3D are still on their minds.  JV?  Unfortunately I have been banished from the Orbx family and cannot post these sentiments over there.

I am like you, Xplane11 and P3DV4 are my imaginary world's where I can escape world violence, especially domestic violence which I hear sometimes next door to my apartment, a mother who is hard on her teens, who I have befriended.  I am friends of many younger people because of their interest in non violent sims like Xplane11 and P3DV4, even though such sims do include memories of the Warbirds which fought and defended freedom in the great wars of the 20th century, which I do not mind, even the opposing side's Warbirds, because there was still chivalry in air combat, not so much with the drones of today sadly which are just blind killers. 

The Terminator movies predicted these drone wars, that's the bad news, but they also predicted peace.  I have been in the vicinity of Arnold Schwarzenegger and have been to his country, Austria, and I just feel his presence in our world is one that brings peace, just like the terminator movies.  I have felt so much peace, especially in my travels in Austria, home of Sound of Music, a country even more neutral than neutral Switzerland.  The only visit to Europe where I did not visit Austria was in 1995 when I had to fly via Pittsburgh and Frankfurt from Phoenix to Bologna Italy. 

My colleague there and I had so much fun he wanted me to work with him at another business systems training near Geneva, or in France, I cannot remember, but I was needed for a project in San Diego.  So I flew all the way home, in the smoking section of my USAirways 767 with a chain smoker but wonderful man who kept me awake and alert with his wonderful conversation, we were close to the same age.  I changed planes in Philly, flew to my home in Phoenix, then the next morning flew to San Diego.  My client, the Holiday Inn Bayside, saw how tired I was and they gave me the day off and tickets to a Michael McDonald concert, a singer I just love, and I attended the concert with his family in the VIP section of the ampitheter owened by the owners of the Holiday Inn, I was going to the lower level of the ampitheater when the bouncer, grinning at me, said "no, you are up there in the VIP section".  It was my last Michael McDonald concert but the best concert I ever saw.  Yah Mo Be There is my favorite flying song, a mix of secular and spiritual music.  I prefer spiritual, not religious music when I fly.

The day after the concert my client talked me in to flying my now ex wife out to be with me, they felt her presence (and they were right) would motivate me to work hard for them for the reward of her comfort at night.  It was one of two or three times she came out on one of my business trips.  They rewarded her with a San Diego tour on their courtesy shuttle, followed by a Bay Cruise.  She came back to me grinning that evening saying it was the best vacation in her life, but that was approx four years before our daughter was born and we were blessed with even better vacations, the last in 2013 was a wonderful week long trip from Phoenix to Disneyworld in the cooler spring, and I surprised them with a day at Universal Studios Orlandos, which we all loved, our last vacation together although my wife, daughter and I have had dates since our divorce, as late as last year.  We are weird, a broken up family but we got closer after our break up because of our interest in travel.  We call ourselves the unholy Trinity, LOL....

John

• Like 1

7 hours ago, birdguy said:

Yes they do. It's fun seeing it in the day, but the really amazing thing is how each vehicle has its own headlights and tail lights at night, lighting up the roads as they move. Hundreds of individual moving light sources, along with all the static streetlights and lit-up traffic signs. I don't know how Laminar does that without killing the frame rate.

Also, the traffic in the Orbx TE Great Britain scenery runs on the wrong side of the road too (from a USA perspective). I'm not a huge ortho-based scenery fan, but I was impressed with how they managed that.

Not trying to get into sim wars territory here, just pointing that out. I know P3D does a bunch of things XP doesn't, and I'd probably be flying it if I cared about tubeliners instead of GA bush planes and helicopters.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

5 hours ago, Paraffin said:

and I'd probably be flying it if I cared about tubeliners instead of GA bush planes and helicopters.

I am not familiar with XP so I can't judge but I am, and quite a bit, with P3D. I don't fly liners and OrbX P3D sceneries have, for my A2A aircraft, a trove of challenging dirt airfields in the US NW, Alaska and, creme de la creme, Papua New Guinea 😉

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

13 hours ago, birdguy said:

Hopefully some people from Orbx are reading this thread and can respond to reassure us that FSX/P3D are still on their minds.  JV?  Unfortunately I have been banished from the Orbx family and cannot post these sentiments over there.

I've already posted earlier that ORBX are still developing for FSX/P3D exactly as they were before. The X-Plane products are in addition and worked on by additional developers (Myself being the main one) and not at the expense of P3D/FSX. 

Well I'm happy to hear that Tony.  My credit card is ready and waiting.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.