Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Are FSX and P3D becoming step children?

.....and the moral of this story?

......Lockheed Martin need to sort out the autogen system in P3D so that it can handle correctly sized and accurately rendered buildings and city blocks. Then ORBx would not need to build so many of those framerate crippling custom 3D models.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

57 minutes ago, Matthijs said:

Well if you don't try it, you will never know!😋

Just for your peace of mind, I easy get a stable 40 FPS over TE GB even with Ultra Weather XP and Xvision.
Only above London my FPS drops a bit to 30 FPS average, but without the well known stutters like in P3D.

(Specs: i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX1070, 1TB SSD)

But XP is a completely different animal than P3D so take your time to find the sweet spot in performance/settings.
And yes, the roads are outstanding compared to other sims, especially at night.😉

My P3D rarely stutters, I get more in Xplane11 even though generally my flight in Xplane 11 is fluid, stutters seem to happen in the vicinity of detailed airports, but my patience wins, it is just the loading of the scenery from the hard drive and is unavoidable, it is not a cpu or gpu issue and never has been.  One of these days I will try out a SSD drive, to see if I get better performance, in theory I should, just for Xplane 11, I have no issues in P3dV4.

John

11 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

......Lockheed Martin need to sort out the autogen system in P3D so that it can handle correctly sized and accurately rendered buildings and city blocks. Then ORBx would not need to build so many of those framerate crippling custom 3D models.

Couldn't agree more... Now that's pure conjecture on my part, but I do wonder why JV mentioned that the P3D version of TE PNW won't be here before 2020. Maybe there's something in the works at LM (of course, there's always the other possibility, i.e. that the P3D version simply isn't a priority... 😉).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John_Cillis said:

My P3D rarely stutters, I get more in Xplane11 even though generally my flight in Xplane 11 is fluid, stutters seem to happen in the vicinity of detailed airports, but my patience wins, it is just the loading of the scenery from the hard drive and is unavoidable, it is not a cpu or gpu issue and never has been.  One of these days I will try out a SSD drive, to see if I get better performance, in theory I should, just for Xplane 11, I have no issues in P3dV4.

I don't think it's your hard drive causing the stutter. You're only running 8 GB for system RAM, which is the bare minimum spec.

The recommended spec for XP11 from Laminar's web site is "16-24 GB RAM or more." This is partly due to the way XP11 now uses extended .dsf scenery tile loading by default, rather than a user-configurable option like it was in XP10. Some optional features like HD and UHD terrain mesh will also chew through RAM.

If you're not getting stutters in P3Dv4, it's probably because while it's technically a 64-bit sim, it doesn't currently take advantage of as much address space as XP11. This is reflected in the different specs. The minimum requirement for P3Dv4 is only 2 GB RAM, and recommended is 16 GB. So your current 8 GB isn't being stressed as hard with P3Dv4 as it is in XP11. 

FWIW, I'm not using a SSD, just an average hard drive, and with 32 GB of RAM I never get stutters in XP11. Even with other things running in the background like LittleNavMap and the Chrome web browser. If you're not planning on a RAM upgrade with your current computer, make sure you spec plenty of RAM in the next one if you're still flying X-Plane. It's one sim that likes having plenty of RAM overhead.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

1 hour ago, tymk said:

Couldn't agree more... Now that's pure conjecture on my part, but I do wonder why JV mentioned that the P3D version of TE PNW won't be here before 2020. Maybe there's something in the works at LM (of course, there's always the other possibility, i.e. that the P3D version simply isn't a priority... 😉).

I think you're overthinking this 🙂.  There are some TE England regions to catch up with first, that's all there is to it 

12 minutes ago, tonywob said:

I think you're overthinking this 🙂.  There are some TE England regions to catch up with first, that's all there is to it 

Hehe, I should've put a "tongue in cheek" emoticon there... 😉 Thanks for clarifying that. Would be nice if LM were to up their game, though...

4 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I hope Lockheed Martin does do something about the ancient autogen tech. It is basically the same thing as what was released for FS 2002. Huge houses that when you look at them compared to a runway or a car driving past makes the scale look utterly distorted.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Orbx are a publisher, so if the dev wants to make a product for xplane they’ll publish it. 

Also as someone else mentioned there aren’t seasons in XP so less work. 

18 hours ago, NZ255 said:

Also as someone else mentioned there aren’t seasons in XP so less work. 

This doesn't make sense because all new Prepar3D ORBX True Earth regions will not include seasons.
For now, maybe this will change in te future but not in the initial release.

• Like 1

The Endless Summer?  Same seasons on both sides of the equator?  Does this have anything to do with global warming?

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

On 4/26/2019 at 5:45 PM, birdguy said:

fta217 are you saying that TrueEarth Washington wouldn't look good on P3Dv4?   You are comparing apples and oranges here.  You checked PNW against the TrueEarth Washington trailer.  That's no comparison at all. 

That's like comparing the stock P3Dv4 Washington to Orbx PNW. 

The only real comparison would be to check TrueEarth Washington on P3Dv4 against TrueEarth Washington on XP. 

It's not a feeling of jealousy, it's a feeling of being left behind.

Noel

Yes that is exactly what I am saying. I have both TE GB South for XP11 and P3Dv4 and there is no comparison. P3D simply cannot handle large scale orthoimagery efficiently, the roads look bad and the autogen is just ... wrong. Oversized, overscaled and no complexity at all (ie no gables, porches, balconies, chimneys). XP11’s lighting and atmosphere engine is miles ahead as well.

But I use both sims for their unique strengths so this is not a sim-war discussion, just acknowledging which does certain things best.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

The Endless Summer?  Same seasons on both sides of the equator?  Does this have anything to do with global warming?

I guess we could say that XP11 does have two seasons: Summer 2019 and Winter 2070. 😊

• Upvote 1

So, if I switch to XP11 I'll be 130 years old before I can experience winter?

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

14 hours ago, birdguy said:

So, if I switch to XP11 I'll be 130 years old before I can experience winter?

Noel

No, addon developers are on it😉

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matthijs said:

No, addon developers are on it😉

If that ends up working well, I hope they release it as a separate product from the xEnviro weather plugin.

I'm one of those who can't use xEnviro because there isn't enough adjustment on injected winds and cloud base, compared to default weather or something like ActiveSkyXP. But it would be great to have just the snow effect as a separate plugin (if it works).