Sign in to follow this  
asaf3866

Black aircraft body texture (engine and wings ok)

I have only problem with Airbus a330 and A340. After I installed the aircraft only wings and engines are Ok but Body is black.I dont use direct x.Please help

Edited by asaf3866

Which downloads are you using?  Do you have SP1 and SP2 installed or Acceleration?

Welcome to the AVSIM forums! :happy:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

4 hours ago, asaf3866 said:

I dont use direct x.

In addition to what Charlie asked, what do you mean you don’t use Direct X? You have no choice but to use Direct X as it’s already installed in the OS and is checked when you install FSX.

Did you mean you don’t use he DX10 Preview?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Assuming this is a recurrent problem each time you restart the simulator, the first thing to do is uninstall and try a fresh reinstall. If that doesn’t work redownload the addon and see if that resolves the issue. BTW if you are not already doing so, it is always best to use the ‘run as admininistrator’ option when installing.

Bill

Edited by scianoir

Hello Everyone, Thank you very much for reply.I turned off DX10 and I have SP1 and SP2 installed.Only problem with A330 and A340 models.I download and installed different variation of A330 and A340 from Simaviation and Avsim Library. Cockpit and Others work good. Only issue is outside look some models black  aircraft some models only wings are visible.

Give links or filenames for your downloads.  I have no problem testing them to see what the problem is.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

DX9 textures (usually those textures made for FS2004) are not compatible with DX10 (usually those textures mare for FSX and later).  DX10 textures are not compatible with DX9.  You do not have DX10 enabled; therefore, you cannot use products with DX10 textures.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

7 hours ago, Jim Young said:

DX9 textures (usually those textures made for FS2004) are not compatible with DX10 (usually those textures mare for FSX and later).  DX10 textures are not compatible with DX9.  You do not have DX10 enabled; therefore, you cannot use products with DX10 textures. 

This makes no sense.

There is no such thing as a Direct X 9 or Direct X 10 texture.

Aircraft models made for Microsoft Flight Simulator 9 do not display their textures

if used in the uncorrected Direct X 10 mode but the aircraft show as fully untextured and

not black but grey.

This has nothing to do with the textures but is the result of the incompatibility between the

broken FSX  Preview Direct X 10 mode and the aircraft model file.

8 bit textures are incompatible with the Preview Direct X 10 mode but in that case, aircraft parts and

buildings are transparent.

@asaf3866

Can you specify which aircraft models are involved please?

Are they by Thomas Ruth, for example?

The far more likely cause is the misinstallation of addon liveries, causing the fuselage textures to be missing

and therefore they display as black.

Edited by Reader

7 hours ago, Reader said:

There is no such thing as a Direct X 9 or Direct X 10 texture.

Not true.  Do a Google search. See our DX10 Forum.  FSX SP2 and Acceleration introduced DX10 Preview (a preview as MS did not have time to program it properly and was going to update but they were laid off before it could happen).  Flight One has a program called Addon Converter X that converts textures to DX10 on the fly.  However, not permanently.  Just during the flight.

A lot of members try using old FS9 and earlier products and they receive a lot of anomalies.  They then get upset as they bought a great product in FS9 and it no longer works properly in FSX w/DX10.  Read the DX10 Forum and you will see many hair-raising and horror stories others went through.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks, however, you seem to have the wrong end of the stick.

Are you perhaps assuming that the DTX1 to 5 categories of .dds files are Direct X 10 categories?

They were introduced in Direct X 7 and FSX is perfectly capable of handling both dds and bmp files in either

Direct X mode.

It is not the textures at all but the Preview Direct X 10 mode that prevents the FS9 models from handling them correctly.

Or are you suggesting that the Direct X 10 Fixer is actually converting the textures rather than simply

repairing the Direct X 10 mode so that it can once again display them?

I repeat, the textures themselves are not the problem it is the way that an FS9 model cannot display them

unless the Direct X 10 mode is corrected by either the now outdated product you mention or the Fixer.

Here are a few salient quotes from the Direct X Fixer manual.

The intention of the product is to resolve the majority of graphical issues with Microsoft Flight Simulator X DX10 Preview mode.  It also allows many aircraft and scenery built with previous generations of the Microsoft Flight Simulator SDK to work with FSX in DX10 mode.

Legacy Aircraft Aircraft that use the FS8 MDL format in their model typically appear grey all the time in DX10 mode.  FS8 aircraft may also have issues with incompatible textures which cause small elements such as wheels to be missing altogether.

The product works around flaws that exist in the flight simulator core software.

To keep on the subject of the topic, black aircraft textures are a sure sign that the texture(s) are missing and that is very likely in this case to be due to an aircraft livery being incorrectly installed.

Edited by Reader

I told you earlier there were issues with DX10 Preview.  SteveP, the developer of DX10 Fixer, made the greatest fix to FSX/SP2 or Acceleration ever!  He found that some of the files that handle shadowing was causing flicking and other anomalies at airports and on taxiways.  His fixer fixes this problem.  He did nothing with the textures.  The DX10 Fixer is a must buy for all who still own and use FSX with SP2 or FSX with Acceleration.

The textures could be missing and, in that case you need to contact that developer and get it the missing textures (common sense).  I would be shocked any textures are missing as developers normally check out their files to make sure they are complete before uploading.  DX10 WILL cause black textures if they are not in the DX10 format (.dds).  In your case, the textures simply did not load as they are incompatible.

1 hour ago, Reader said:

Are you perhaps assuming that the DTX1 to 5 categories of .dds files are Direct X 10 categories?

I do not assume anything.  Facts are facts.  You have to understand developers upgrade their textures to the latest and greatest so we can stay in the 21st Century.  Many FS9 and earlier developers did upgrade their product to be compatible with DX10 but not all as many did not understand this new technology called DX10.  Think a lot of them went to the FS Developer's website to seek help.

Submit News to AVSIM

You win, clearly we do not speak or understand the same language.

It has always been so.

Good day to you.

OK, now that that's over with, maybe the OP can tell us what downloads he is using so he can get some help!:blink:

Charlie Aron

@asaf3866

Even if the choice of aircraft model is wrong, this should help you solve your problem.

I'll take a guess that the A 340 is Thomas Ruth's.

Its model is native FSX, so the textures will display in either FSX mode.

Here is one in all its glory.

1.jpg

Now here it is with the fuselage texture removed (main.dds). Note that it also textures the engines and tail.

This would be the most likely file added to a repaint to change the livery, leaving the wings as they were.

The texture did not load because it is missing.

2.jpg

For what it's worth, here is an FS9 aircraft model in Direct X 10 uncorrected mode.

The white/light grey is caused by the model being prevented from correctly displaying the textures.

DhURugH.jpg

and here it is in Direct X 10 fixed by the Fixer.

The model can now display the same textures, as the Direct 10 mode has been fixed by the Direct X 10 Fixer.

RpszgG3.jpg

Not the same at all really.

Edited by Reader