Sign in to follow this  
TravelRunner404

Frustrated with Setting Monitor to 30hz - An Alternative...

9 minutes ago, Riah069 said:

Ok so i have tried all the tips etc. And it comes down to the issue that has plagued me for ages ever since the "Buttery Smooth" discussion has arisen. Essentially what every i do that takes my FPS locked at 30 FPS or 30hz etc etc induces stutters. If i set to unlimited i get a VERY smooth sim. If i cap the sim at 30 there is noticeable stutters in VC and outside.

Sorry to attempt at hijacking thread OP no offence. I have 3 monitors and all produce the same result. So i am at a lose lol.

From your signature it looks like you have a Gsync monitor, so unlimited is what you want, no need to lock hz or fps.

If there is anything that this discussion shows, it is that there is no single best solution for every user and every system..

I personally started out with an fps lock, via NVI.. and currently use a scanline lock via RTSS.. not to mention trying FFTF Dynamic for good measure..

You have to be prepared to try some different options if you are not totally satisfied with your current situation.  If, on the other hand you are satisfied with your current system, do not spend time here, but go and fly!  :smile:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

20 minutes ago, Riah069 said:

Essentially what every i do that takes my FPS locked at 30 FPS or 30hz etc etc induces stutters.

Not all internal frame rate limiters are created equal. Simply bc it’s in game does not mean it’s the best. The article linked by itsjase clearly shows that that particular game has a sub par frame limiter. Rob A has demonstrated in his videos that the internal frame rate limiters for P3D causes issues with smoothness. The P3D staff has also stated you should use a number that’s 10% higher than the FPS you want. So in your case 33 is better than 30 according to LM. I personally use it at 60 bc that’s the point where the FFTF is used and Rob has shown in videos on his YouTube channel that without limiting FPS you can eventually lose autogen  

30Hz, Vsync, TB is an option but it’s choppy and if performance drops below it’s doomed. However, in fairness 20 FPS is 20 FPS it’s not going to look like 60 FPS.

Most of us live in a world of 22 FPS to 90 FPS with P3D so of course no solution is perfect. 

Try the initial suggestion I made and compare it to your 30hz option. It’s important to understand, I am saying let’s compare the RTSS/Fast Sync to a 30hz/30fps and not compare it to locked 60 FPS smoothness.  They both lose. 

As for scanline sync x/2, Bert says it works for him. I find it better than 30/30 but not as good as my original suggestion. Additionally, most of the information on SS says that it needs a lot of GPU head room to work at its best and it’s more for fixing screen tearing without losing latency i.e. high frame rate shooters. However, I think people should test it and see bc it does seem to lock you at half refresh rate even in borderless windowed full screen 

@TravelRunner404 excellent thread, thank you so much for this. I used to lock the screen refresh rate at 30Hz, but the mouse stutter was so annoying I had to stop using it. I tried now your solution and it seems to give me very smooth play and panning around compared to unlimited frames. The difference is clear in heavy scenarios. 

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Thanks for this, very useful thread.

Any chance you could outline what changes need to be made when using scanline instead of fast sync?

I'm not quite clear on what needs to change in the Nvidia CP and in RTSS vs the fast option. I get issues with the FSL using fast as my screen randomly turns black and becomes unresponsive so would like to try the other option and see if that works. Thanks!!

Max

i9 9900K @5GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra | 32GB Gskill 3200C14 | Palit GTX 1080Ti Super Jetstream

2x Samsung 840Evo SSD | BenQ PD3200Q 32"

I have had pretty good success just setting the frame rate in RTSS to exactly half refresh rate and turning on the Vsync/TB in P3D.  I don’t notice any difference from that and fast sync. I have no proof test though. 

There is just a crazy amount of information when it comes to vsync out there. Here is what I have read but there is no definitive source:

nvidia fast sync - this is just a type of vsync with triple buffer. That’s all. Don’t know if it works in windowless border mode but a lot of people say it’s pointless bc WBM actually already does this!

Windowless border mode - people use this bc as stated above, it does an automatic Windows integrated vsync and triple buffer.

Vsync/triple buffer P3d - another option but reading the last two descriptions if you have fast sync on already you could be doing triple vsync and ninefold buffer. Although I don’t think that’s how it works; you get my confusion. 

Anyway, I would simply try setting the frame rate exactly half and turn on the P3d vsync. 

Edited by TravelRunner404
Typos.

4 hours ago, Speedbird 217 said:

Thanks for this, very useful thread.

Any chance you could outline what changes need to be made when using scanline instead of fast sync?

I'm not quite clear on what needs to change in the Nvidia CP and in RTSS vs the fast option. I get issues with the FSL using fast as my screen randomly turns black and becomes unresponsive so would like to try the other option and see if that works. Thanks!!

As for the scanline option...

- In P3D set fps to unlimited and vsync to off

- in RTSS, create a profile for prepar3d.exe and select scanline X/2 with a non-zero value (start with -1)

- Run RTSS along with P3D and check the fps counter in P3D to verify operation

Bert

10 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

As for the scanline option...

- In P3D set fps to unlimited and vsync to off

- in RTSS, create a profile for prepar3d.exe and select scanline X/2 with a non-zero value (start with -1)

- Run RTSS along with P3D and check the fps counter in P3D to verify operation

why -1? I have read somewhere that it should be the same as the refresh rate. but I really want to know if there is a reason.

I tried the above steps yesterday and I added the FAST option in Nvidia control panel and start suffering some black screen and long pauses arriving at OTHH also using FSLabs A320, I have never had these issues before.

Edited by ttbq1

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

1 hour ago, ttbq1 said:

why -1? I have read somewhere that it should be the same as the refresh rate. but I really want to know if there is a reason.

I tried the above steps yesterday and I added the FAST option in Nvidia control panel and start suffering some black screen and long pauses arriving at OTHH also using FSLabs A320, I have never had these issues before.

What you have read is incorrect... the value indicates the vertical scan line position (as you can tell by mousing over the value..)

Use whatever non-zero value you like...  -1 to 1080, your choice.. :wink:

I do not use the FAST option.. so cannot comment

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Thanks guys! I’ll try scanline and using the P3D Vsync options tonight and see what works best.

Glad to read I’m not alone in having issues with fast sync and the FSL, seems they’re not compatible.

Max

i9 9900K @5GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra | 32GB Gskill 3200C14 | Palit GTX 1080Ti Super Jetstream

2x Samsung 840Evo SSD | BenQ PD3200Q 32"

In P3D set fps to unlimited and vsync to off

Hello bert

Scanline Sync x / 2 works well at home with 60Hz screen my FPS are good at 30 in P3D.

But do not you have problems with Autogen that disappears during the approach with FPS ilimité in P3D?

Nothing makes I always have a loss of AG that I put ilimité in P3D.

So I do not use RTSS and I can not really see the difference of smoothing between FPS locker 30 in P3D or Scanline x / 2 for me I have the same smoothing that is not perfect

Have a good day

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

What you have read is incorrect... the value indicates the vertical scan line position (as you can tell by mousing over the value..)

Use whatever non-zero value you like...  -1 to 1080, your choice.. :wink:

I do not use the FAST option.. so cannot comment

Thanks 

I will try again and come back to you

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

On 4/26/2019 at 1:30 AM, Bert Pieke said:

There is a second way with RTSS... Use the Scanline X/2 option.

Works nicely for me, and I leave the fps setting in P3D on unlimited, vsync off.

Try it.. :wink:

Why don't you try fps limiting option in RTSS leaving fps setting in P3D on unlimited, vsync off?

9 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Why don't you try fps limiting option in RTSS leaving fps setting in P3D on unlimited, vsync off?

I did, and like the Scanline option better.. but choose whatever works for you  :smile:

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

I did, and like the Scanline option better.. but choose whatever works for you  :smile:

Now, did you try to assign AM to RTSS?

Thanks,