Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

GTN blurry in VC

I'm not sure if the gauges have always been this way or something changed in XP....but the gauge clarity on the screen is vastly reduced compared to the 2D.  Of course the 2D popup was always sharper but the difference is greater than before.  Is anyone else seeing this or am I doing something wrong?

Here's a pic...  I do run only High texture res in XP....maximum kills my video ram...  Maybe that's a factor?

33823872428_a5945a736d_o.pnggtnvc_blurryXP by ryan b, on Flickr

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Ryan,

Although the Reality XP GTN graphics code is managing the rendering at any size in the popup window, it can't control this in the 3D panel where it is X-Plane doing it's own 'rendering' things. This might be a difference introduced with the latest XP11.32 but I suspect it is just a matter of how many pixels the GTN screen renders into the panel.png file.

You might want to cross-check the RealityXP.GTN.ini 3D panel rendering section (most likely [GTN_750_1.PANEL]) and report the frame.rect values, and see whether the width and height are not too low compared to the native GTN 750 screen resolution (600x708).

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thanks JL...this is what I've got

frame.rect = 752,1079,830,790

So perhaps the size is larger than default therefore blurrier?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

With a little more pixels this wouldn't make it blurrier. Your screenshot show as-if it is displaying with much less pixels though, and I suspect this is what is happening: even though the panel.png texture has ample surface to render the full screen 1:1, the polygon might just be 'mapping' the panel.png as a texture in a way which make it have lower pixel count.

In all cases, the GTN renders to a texture (panel.png) within a rect defined in pixels, then this texture gets mapped over a polygon to the 3D panel as it is defined by the aircraft 3D model. This is all intra-XPlane rendering engine, which itself 3D renders the polygons and their textures as defined in the 3D model.

You may easily cross-check whether it is the GTN or the aircraft in trying in a different aircraft and see whether you get the same rendering 'blurriness'. I'll have a closer look (no pun intended) to this tomorrow in some Carenado or Just Flight aircraft and check whether there is a code issue or not.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

I haven't been simming much but I took the A2A Bonaza up in P3D 4.4 just now.  The clarity difference is night and day I think.  Here's a 1:1 view

47017727994_fb5cdaa739_o.pnga2aRXPgtnsharp by ryan b, on Flickr

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Hi Ryan,

This is peculiar and unfortunately I'm sorry to say I've not been able to cross check this yet specifically. I'll try over the weekend.

Please note our rendering engine is different whether it is FltSim or X-Plane. With the former we manage the final pixel output directly whereas X-Plane is managing how it renders the pixels from its panel.png texture (which our plugin dynamically updates with pixels at the 'displayed' size - the frame.rect= parameters).

Hi Ryan,

I've cross checked with a few aircraft, especially the JustFlight PA 28 and the GTN in the 3D panel is sharp and clear as expected.

After testing this I'm not sure what is causing the rendering to use less pixels than configured for on your system.

It looks like even though you've setup the rendering section to 'paint' the screen with enough pixels for a 1:1 rendition, in this aircraft, with your graphics settings, it is rendering as if it is closer to 1/4th the resolution.

If you look closely it may not just be the screen but the entire 3D cockpit textures (look at the low resolution of the HOME lettering which is not the RXP GTN texture but the aircraft 3D panel texture).

Are you sure you've not changed a setting in X-Plane related to texture resolution, any 3rd party plugin altering the resolution, any video card control panel setting causing this too?