Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Radio noise

they had a beautiful static during ATIS play on one of the previous versions - just perfect,then...dropped it in later releases, I have never understood why when they get somthing correct they feel compelled to eliminate it?never have understood that.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

It was most likely removed because there are some of us who enjoy the sim but literally can't hear over the static.So, don't take it personal when I disagree and say leave the noise out. Cuz if it were there, I would literally be unable to hear the speech.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>they had a beautiful static during ATIS play on one of the>previous versions - just perfect,>>then...>>dropped it in later releases, I have never understood why when>they get somthing correct they feel compelled to eliminate>it?>>never have understood that.Yes, that was a cool feature. Sorry to say that those who disagree don't have any idea of how radio works. Introduce the static and ATIS at a certain point out, then slowly lose the static as you get closer. As long as we can still get the information at the 70 nm point, it's fine. I don't recall the static ever being a real issue anyhow, as far as hearing the information.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest PC509

I think there should be some noise, or at least not so clear when transmitting > a certain mile out... I've heard bad, worse and great. But, that'd be another version down the road. Everybody wants everything else, and static is something small yet more realistic than a lot of other requests!I hear "We want this, we want that. Static? That's dumb."... Hmmmm... Static is real life stuff, should be somewhat easy to implement (add another sound channel over the top of the ATC)...

>Yes, that was a cool feature. Sorry to say that those who>disagree don't have any idea of how radio works.That's a mighty broad brush you are painting with, and your conclusion is based on a "hasty generalization"* to boot... ;)Speaking as one who's been an amateur radio operator for the past forty+ years, I daresay I'm quite familiar with "how radio works."I don't particularly like radio noise either, because it makes it hard to hear! That's why my fellow hams and I have spent a lot of time over the decades developing first, mechanical noise filters, and in more recent years digital noise filters... all for the sake of getting RID of the noise! ;)*NOTA BENE: this is a technical term for one of the "deadly sins" of faulty logic...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I think it was FS98 when I first heard the static on ATIS kick in at certain distances from the airfield.I always liked that effect......

With noise cancelling headset and good radios I rarely hear any static-unless something is wrong.I'd sure like the squelch modelled though. When too far from atis to pick it up , I can usually get it by putting the radio in test mode and diddling with the squelch-and then yes-there is static.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Also - by "noise" I'm also including pretty much any type of interference you might experience.Here in NJ there is a "land-based ship" - the USS Rancocas - and they do all kinds of radar testing. You get pretty amusing "whooooop whooooop whooooop" and "bee bee bee bee bee bee bee baaaaaaaachchch" and "lah........ lah.......... lah........." type stuff all the time.I know that's a local thing, but in listening to LiveATC I find that these odd interferences are pretty darn common.Just saying.Of course, the option to turn it off should be there, too.Andrew

>>Yes, that was a cool feature. Sorry to say that those who>>disagree don't have any idea of how radio works.>>That's a mighty broad brush you are painting with, and your>conclusion is based on a "hasty generalization"* to boot...>;)>>Speaking as one who's been an amateur radio operator for the>past forty+ years, I daresay I'm quite familiar with "how>radio works.">>I don't particularly like radio noise either, because it makes>it hard to hear! That's why my fellow hams and I have spent a>lot of time over the decades developing first, mechanical>noise filters, and in more recent years digital noise>filters... all for the sake of getting RID of the noise! ;)>>*NOTA BENE: this is a technical term for one of the "deadly>sins" of faulty logic...Well, I have a WA7*** callsign, so I've got the amateur ticket as well. The most notable thing on AM is that a weak station really just loses audio and volume. You really don't get static as people equate it to FM or SSB. I actually like SSB and the noise you get on 75 or 40 meters. The newer radios really make SSB sound amazing, but I don't mind some noise. I just think that static feature was kinda neat from a basic point of view.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired