Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

Live ATC Plugin

Hi everybody,

I am familiar with the live ATC website which I use for immersion.

However I think I saw somewhere a plugin (payware) for switching between live ATC frequencies within XPlane. In other words, same as LiveATC website but in a plugin format.

Can someone help me with finding it?

Thanks!

Edited by Noooch

It is called LAAP, or Live ATC Auto Play. I have been using it ever since it was released. And it is FREE!. It is an outstanding program. I can't fly without it.

http://laap.atc.free.fr/accueil.php  

It takes a little setting up, just like LiveATC, which I've used before, but LAAP makes flying even more realistic.

46 minutes ago, monica6211 said:

It is called LAAP, or Live ATC Auto Play. I have been using it ever since it was released. And it is FREE!. It is an outstanding program. I can't fly without it.

http://laap.atc.free.fr/accueil.php  

It takes a little setting up, just like LiveATC, which I've used before, but LAAP makes flying even more realistic.

Oops, sorry, this is for FSX/P3D, does not work for X-Plane. Too bad though, because it is a wonderful program.

Besides X-ATC-Chatter, LiveTraffic or PilotEdge, I was also thinking:
how to use in X-Plane, with a hardware radio control panel or settings on cockpit radio?
Besides legal issues - LiveATC www.liveatc,net has a statement
Audio streams may not be used in any third-party products.
at their web site - technically not difficult.

Anyway, how 'cool' would it be to control the radio (set frequency, toggle) in SIM cockpit and to listen to LiveATC for this frequency.
Here, how it can work:

a) use VLC media player: it has a great telnet interface where you can 'add' a connection to the LiveATC server

b) just use the direct URL to the LiveATC server, not the web site URL: you can find it in the web site page source. I tried: it works

c) have a small script based X-Plane-external 'server program', or write a LUA script, X-Plane SDK plugin which will do these actions:

• enable and get the DATAREF sim/cockpit/radios/com1_freq_hz (and/or others) from X-Plane, as direct plugin or as network connection to this external 'server script' (e.g. written in Python)
  • the 'server script' or plugin will translate the frequency into the URL needed (for VLC later), from a mapping list (hash table) as KnownFrequency-to-URL translation
  • start VLC in telnet interface mode (once, let it run all the time)
  • establish a telnet session from this 'server script' or plugin to the VLC telnet port (on localhost - on same PC, port 4212)
  • send a VLC command via telnet with this converted URL, example: 'add https://d.liveatc.net/ksna2'
  • it will connect and start playing, you can 'stop', 'play' again or even 'clear' playlist and 'add' again in order to connect to another airport stream

So, all the time you change the frequency on the radio, this frequency is aggregated as DATAREF, converted into a LiveATC server URL, sent via telnet as VLC command and VLC will do the job to play the ATC 'sound'.

If you run two of such instances (two VLCs) then you can have COM1 and COM2, monitoring both at the same time.

As 'server script' (besides implementing as native LUA script plugin, using X-Plane SDK), there are also Python bindings for X-Plane, and nice demos, such as charlylima/XPlaneUDP, X-Plane Python plugin, pyxpudpserver, python_interface on www.pluginsdk.org etc.

So, technically, it should be quite simple to convert DATAREF to VLC command and to collect all the 'translations' you need for your flight region (frequencies to LiveATC URLs, just done once).

Is it legal? Potentially not!
(and listen to ATC likely not legal in your country)

Edited by tjaekel
  • Like 1

I thought I would add to this. I'm the developer of X-ATC-Chatter and I have a licensing agreement with LiveATC.net and pay fees to use the recordings in X-ATC-Chatter. This year when I renewed my agreement with LiveATC.net I asked if I could enhance the X-ATC-Chatter player to optionally use live feeds. Unfortunately LiveATC.net does not want me doing this. I suspect that using the live stream feeds is against their terms of use and could be illegal. 

You could contact the owner below to get greater clarification.

https://www.liveatc.net/ct/contact.php

Mark