Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

My Two Aircraft

Flying for a VA for a couple of years now and moving from GA to Copters , have finally settled on two aircraft that I fly exclusively. The PMDG 737 and the Majestic Q400. To keep my senior mind working as best as it can, I have been following a routine of flying one of them all the time for 2 months and then switching to the other. Since the flying of the two aircraft is different, it keeps me from getting bored, and usually the first or second flight right after I make the switch, is not the most error free flight, but I find the challenge of this change very enjoyable. The Q400 is less forgiving when it comes to poor recall of that aircraft . Moving to the 737 is a bit easier. 

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have the Majestic Q400 since it first came out, which I still have not yet tamed, as I find it is a beast to fly and to land properly.  I still load it up occasional and try my skills once again...  Don't have the PMDG 737, but I do have their 777's, and the Q of the Skies variations, and fly them both frequently.  

I guess I'm also getting close to having a senior mind - so I try to apply the flight sim checklist process to real life situations like driving a car, decision-making, etc. 

Edited by overspeed3

34 minutes ago, overspeed3 said:

I have the Majestic Q400 since it first came out, which I still have not yet tamed, as I find it is a beast to fly and to land properly.  I still load it up occasional and try my skills once again...  Don't have the PMDG 737, but I do have their 777's, and the Q of the Skies variations, and fly them both frequently.  

I guess I'm also getting close to having a senior mind - so I try to apply the flight sim checklist process to real life situations like driving a car, decision-making, etc. 

Trick to landing the Q400. Fly approach on short final at 130 knots on glideslope, until about 40 feet AGL, and then reduce power. Should get around 50-100 FPM at touch down every time. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I stick to the same few aircraft. I currently have the pmdg 737, their 747 and the Q400 as well. Most of my time is spent in the 737 ( probably 80%) then the 747 (probably about 15%) and the rest I’d say the Q400. I don’t really fly any GA at all, however that may change with all the nice orbx stuff and an ok system at my disposal.

I can get the hang of flying the Q400 but where I struggle is the Flight computer, I guess I’m so use to the Boeing type FMC that I feel very lost with any other FMS. 

I try to keep my fleet to what I plan on using unlike my fs2004 days where I would purchase most every airliner.

Since then I have just recently upgraded my system in where I can now install payware scenery add-on and use them without crippling my system in which I was never able to, So I just recently purchased FT cyyz and cyul and now think I’ve found a new payware addiction as the airport environment adds so much to the immersion as compared to default airports...I’m a little worried lol..

I’m currently looking at adding another aircraft to my fleet, Debating in the PMDG 777, the QW 787 or the aerosft. A320.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

A fine pair of aircrafts Bob, you can look forward to the new PMDG NG later this year hopefully.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Trick to landing the Q400. Fly approach on short final at 130 knots on glideslope, until about 40 feet AGL, and then reduce power. Should get around 50-100 FPM at touch down every time.

If I might add a little to this.

Try 135 knots at Flaps 15, that is what I used all throughout our 6.5 years of Dash 8 Q400 development at Majestic.  Additionally, the Load and Balance will affect the aircraft handling more than most any other flight sim aircraft, so this is very important to consider during pre-flight.  I've posted below screen shots of my standard test configuration, which I have to admit I now use on most every flight (unless testing extreme ends of the flight envelope).

I hope this is helpful!  She's an amazing aircraft, and TREMENDOUS in Shared Cockpit!

Best wishes!

OVPA-Dash-8-Weight-Balance-Lbs.jpg

Dash-8-Loadout-KG.png

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.