Sign in to follow this  
tomcatman24

FPS Loss- Unlimited vs. Locked FPS- P3dv4.x

15 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

I installed RTSS yesterday, and set frame limiter to 30, and unlimited in P3D.

Not that I was having any particularly significant issues with micro stutters or long frames before, but things seem to be ever so slightly smoother now, and it's pretty much completely eliminated the occasional micro stutter or (rare) long frame, so I think i'll stick with this setup, and thanks for the tip...😎

I installed RTSS too and yes it is smoother BUT if i set FPS in P3D to Unlimited I got blurries and autogen starts to pop up etc.

2 hours ago, mobiel said:

I installed RTSS too and yes it is smoother BUT if i set FPS in P3D to Unlimited I got blurries and autogen starts to pop up etc.

Yup, just what I see, sadly.

By the way, I don't think the FFTF value is the only difference. If I make FFTF Dynamics set it to 0.01, I gain FPS. If I then go and change the P3D TFR to unlimited (which the FSX version of FFTF Dyn. used to do if the FPS dropped too much), I gain another few FPS, if I recall correctly. According to that, there must be more going on internally.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

2 hours ago, mobiel said:

I guess it just goes to show how each individual system behaves differently.

Vsync on, TB on, and unlimited fps in the sim, and RTSS locked @ 30 fps gives me the smoothest and most stutter free performance, and no blurries ever, none.

OTOH, i've got some pretty good hardware running P3D v4.5, an i7 9700K @ 4.9 ghz, an RTX 2080Ti, and i'm running P3D on a 1tb SSD, so perhaps this also plays a role.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:46 AM, patrice_bambou said:

With Locked FPS, the FFTF kicks in, which is fixed at 30% in standard unless specified in P3D.cfg.

With unlimited FPS, there is no FFTF.

This is my understanding.

Personally I never use Unlimited, blurries come in a very short time and then, no chance to get a clear scenery except by reloading the scenery (I mean Photo based scenery with lots of 3D objects/autogen, like France VFR regional sceneries).

There IS a way to quickly kill the blurries if you get them mid flight.  I just go to Graphics menu and change one parameter such as Autogen from UItra to Dense or Dense to Ultra (depending on how you have it set).  This is pretty quick and usually only has to be done ONCE if you encounter the blurries.

Stan

1 hour ago, spilok said:

There IS a way to quickly kill the blurries if you get them mid flight.  I just go to Graphics menu and change one parameter such as Autogen from UItra to Dense or Dense to Ultra (depending on how you have it set).  This is pretty quick and usually only has to be done ONCE if you encounter the blurries.

Stan

That would reload the scenery and cure it for a while...

Nicer if you do not have to stop the flight, though.. :wink:

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Or going into the scenery menu, make sure the checkmark box is checked for empty scenery cache on exit is checked, and just click on will have the same effect.

Alan

5 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Agreed, Bert.

On 4/29/2019 at 4:34 PM, Bert Pieke said:

You get the first two, seamlessly by using this app..

In P3D, you set fps to unlimited and vsync off.

In the app you select Altitude mode, and set 0.1 at ground, and 0.33 at 4000 feet.

You limit fps to 30, using RTSS (either via fps lock or scanline X/2).

Done!

ps. my settings: 

0.01 at ground and 0.40 at 4000 feet

RTSS set to Scanline X/2 (-1) on a 60 Hz monitor.

Should the app look like this?

https://ibb.co/9GJjhxy

i5 8600K  @4.5Ghz 16GB RAM GTX1060 

Looks like my scenery now gets blurry with FFTF...

I just wanna upgrade a component so I get higher FPS, so I can achieve 30. Bert, your guide is good it does help!

I get low usage between both CPU & GPU, both never going above 40%...

Which should I upgrade? (specs in sig)

Try once the "opposite" before you go to buy hardware that potentially does not change anything. Means: use a FPS limit of 30 inside Prepar3d (instead of RTSS), turn VSYNC on inside Prepar3d (but leave the tickbox for Triplebuffering unchecked), and let FFTF Dynamic doing exactly the same job using the same settings. I bet your blurries will be gone...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I'll give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion.

Just now, 0Artur0 said:

So if I have FPS set to Unlimited than FFTF Dynamic is useless?

If you read the above, you will see that some us use FFTF Dynamic with Unlimited fps set in P3D.. :cool:

Bert

I would like to thank Bert!

His settings and FFTF work very nice for me 😄 

I still would like some higher FPS so I might buy the i9 9900K idk, i'll see.