Sign in to follow this  
tomcatman24

FPS Loss- Unlimited vs. Locked FPS- P3dv4.x

20 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you have a monitor that can be set to 30 hz, that is indeed the preferred route.. Many of us do not have that option.. :wink:

Hi Bert.  My monitor supports 30Hz but I think I enjoy a better experience at 60Hz using P3Dv4,5 unlimited, no VSYNC no TB and no FXAA: and RTSS @ Scanline x/2.   Is that possible?  I also use your suggestion of FFTF Dynamic from 0 to 4000 AGL.

BTW, I also set NVI to FXAA and TB and find that helps.  Is there a difference between setting the GPU to FXAA & TB by NVI and setting P3D to FXAA and TB? Does that use CPU vs GPU to achieve effects?

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

54 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

Hi Bert.  My monitor supports 30Hz but I think I enjoy a better experience at 60Hz using P3Dv4,5 unlimited, no VSYNC no TB and no FXAA: and RTSS @ Scanline x/2.   Is that possible?  I also use your suggestion of FFTF Dynamic from 0 to 4000 AGL.

Yes, you can run 60hz with P3D unlimited, no VSYNC, no TB and no FXAA while RTSS set at Scanline x/2 and any value ranging between -1 and whatever the vertical resolution of your screen is (i.e. 1080, 1440 etc.). I run with exactly those specs and it's very smooth locked at 30 FPS when flying.

Can't comment on your NVI questions, even though FXAA has nothing to do with refresh rates so doesn't really link to any of the other parameters you're asking about.

• Like 1

Max

i9 9900K @5GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra | 32GB Gskill 3200C14 | Palit GTX 1080Ti Super Jetstream

2x Samsung 840Evo SSD | BenQ PD3200Q 32"

Personally, I configure my sim as such that I get 30FPS in most of the normal and light scenarios. Then I need FFTF Dynamic only for flying in and out heavy scenarios. Usually, I do not use FFTF, if I fly for example from Porto to Malaga (my last flight...) with the Aerosoft A319, I do not need FFTF because I get those 30FPS both in Porto and in Malaga. However, if I fly in and out of EDDF, EHAM, EGLL and other big hubs, I use it to improve FPS while on ground of such FPS hogs. For VFR flying, I never use FFTF Dynamic...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Not sure I can add anything.. there are so many combinations that people try and sometimes swear by..

Would you suggest you stay with what works for you and not overthink it  :cool:

For what it is worth.. I do not use NVI at all anymore on my system.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

I'm really confused reading the conversation

in front of scanline sync x / 2
What value should I put?

If I put 60 it divides by 2 and I'm stuck at 30fps

But now if I put -1 it also blocks me at 30FPS?

My vertical resolution is 1440

28 minutes ago, Axis3600 said:

I'm really confused reading the conversation

in front of scanline sync x / 2
What value should I put?

If I put 60 it divides by 2 and I'm stuck at 30fps

But now if I put -1 it also blocks me at 30FPS?

My vertical resolution is 1440

The value field you're referencing is not "x". That field determines where on the screen the scanline occurs. For more background on that I recommend reading up on what scanline is, i.e. here https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4916 or here https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/requesting-scanline-sync-tutorial.423722/#post-5602543

"x" is your refresh rate. So for a 60hz screen, scanline x/2 means 30 FPS. you can't manipulate x other than by changing your screen's hz rate.

You also say you're "stuck at 30 fps" as if that was something bad...the whole point of scanline is to lock your framerate synced to a reference point, similar to how Vsync or Vsync 1/2 refresh rate works.

Max

i9 9900K @5GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra | 32GB Gskill 3200C14 | Palit GTX 1080Ti Super Jetstream

Thank you I will go read for information. Sure that having 30ips is perfect!

But that I block the FPS to 30 or 33 in P3D

Or that I use RTSS scanline x / 2 60Hz

I find it's still jerky it's not as smooth as when I'm at 60FPS

The image jumps when I use RTSS or block in P3D ...

On 5/9/2019 at 4:33 PM, Axis3600 said:

The image jumps when I use RTSS or block in P3D ..

Try turning overdrive to 'off' in your monitor, be called something different for every monitor.

or do scanline x/2 -10, instead of -1

Ollie.

i5 8600K  @4.5Ghz 16GB RAM GTX1060 

On 5/9/2019 at 2:58 PM, Speedbird 217 said:

Yes, you can run 60hz with P3D unlimited, no VSYNC, no TB and no FXAA while RTSS set at Scanline x/2 and any value ranging between -1 and whatever the vertical resolution of your screen is (i.e. 1080, 1440 etc.)

When using this facility what should be done with the limit value just above. I've tried to clear it but it won't.  If it is set lower than the VS/2 is that applied instead?

I've only ever used the Frame limit value above before, but now I'm trying 60Hz set on my projectors, so i could try scanline x/2 for 30Hz.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

When using this facility what should be done with the limit value just above. I've tried to clear it but it won't.  If it is set lower than the VS/2 is that applied instead?

I've only ever used the Frame limit value above before, but now I'm trying 60Hz set on my projectors, so i could try scanline x/2 for 30Hz.

Pete

It's just the frame limiter or the scanline, not both. I use scanline x/2 with -1 , I added the  value alongside the scanline x/2 by clicking the arrow down.

regards bob

Edited by onebob

2 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Pete

As onebob wrote, scanline should overwrite any FPS limit set in the cell above.

I never tried setting it to anything lower than the scanline x/2 but I would imagine it wouldn’t do anything. Did you try setting the FPS limit to 0? That normally disables it completely, if you want to be safe.

Max

1 hour ago, onebob said:

It's just the frame limiter or the scanline, not both. I use scanline x/2 with -1 , I added the  value alongside the scanline x/2 by clicking the arrow down.

So if that is set the limit above is ignored? I can't make it go blank. For now I've set that to some high number, and the Scanline/2 limit is operating. But it isn't clear why there's always both values displayed.

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

So if that is set the limit above is ignored? I can't make it go blank. For now I've set that to some high number, and the Scanline/2 limit is operating. But it isn't clear why there's always both values displayed.

Pete

I think you have to set the  ' Framerate Limit ' to zero to switch on scanline. just tried that, entered a framerate of 10 and it change the framerate to 10.

bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onebob said:

I think you have to set the  ' Framerate Limit ' to zero to switch on scanline. just tried that, entered a framerate of 10 and it change the framerate to 10.

Okay. I'll try 0. It did seem to work setting it greater than VS/2, but i'd rather have it off, which it sounds like "0" accomplishes.

Pete

• Like 1