Sign in to follow this  
=Hollywood=

My dilemma with the FSX launch.....

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........New FS coming, same old posts....Everytime a new FS is announced we get posts such as this one.-=MAB=-

Guest thedoggg

I don't know what kind of system you had when you switched to FS9. But mine surely did not run it as well as FS8 at least not with all the 3d clouds. Sure if you strip FS9 down (sliders to the left) it is very similar performance wise to FS2002. Then there was the autogen bug memory leak problem before the 9.1 update. As I said before I still have FS2002 on my current system and am amazed by how well it runs. With full sliders5 cloud layers Active sky (yes 2D), Dreamfleet 737-400 I get 50-60 FPS after my recent video card update to BFG 7900 GTX OC and it looks amazingly good even if the AA isn't as effective. FS9 is still superior ,of course but performance much lower in similar conditions with one of the FS9 737's (PMDG,Wilco,). Still experimenting with this card but it is incredible and worth the arm ,leg and several other body parts it cost me.That's another thread though.Regards, Carlos

I will keep a dual installation for at least 6 months, same as I did with FS2002. Will take that long for patches to come along for all my payware. I'll slowly add to FSX and at some point I will kill off FS9. That strategy worked great for me with FS2002.Im sure I will see some "old friends" die off, but taht will be ok. Im gonna need a new PC though. That much I know. My old clunker wont get it on the next level. (does ok now, but its time to think about the PC boneyard in the sky)Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

>The thought of having to buy FSX XP then Vista then FSX Vista>just makes me feel like taking Bill out back with a baseball>bat.You will not have "...to buy... FSX Vista..." at all! Hello! It's already been made abundantly clear that the 'update' to the Vista enabled FSX will be FREE. :-roll

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I will get FSX regardless because I AM A SIMMER--LOL. You guys have to be kidding me about waiting and bla bla bla bla bla. You guys are talking really about nothing! Speculating and trying to quarterback the entire release when you still haven't even seen a fraction of what's to come.Even with the current feature set that we've seen, it's a still great step forward and surely worth it.As far as a new rig, I'll wait for Vista, but I'll run FSX in it's DX9 version on XP regardless.Like I said, it's all in good fun and I can't wait till it hits the shelves. I guess I'm a little nostalgic when it comes to FS.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guest thedoggg

Mine was a Pentium III 1.0gh. I don't doubt your experience, it just wasn't like that for me. By the way I recycle computers, That 5 year old HP 7855 Pentium III is what I am typing this post on, one of four comps on a home network which also includes a 6 year old HP 6635 Celeron 533mh and a 1 year old Toshiba Satelite laptop.Current System:AMD 64 3700+ San Diego coreAsus A8n SLi deluxe2gigs Corsair value select memoryBFG 7900GTX OC 512mb video card2 Maxtor ATA133 hard drives (120gb,300gb)Ultra 500w power supplyPlextor 708A DVD writerThermaltake Tsunami Dream case.2 Samsung Syncmaster 19" monitors in span mode 2560 X 1024 resolution.Regards, Carlos

Guest FireChief

I have a feeling that it will be possible to make most stuff "compatible", but not really fully featured for whatever new comes along in FSX.Rob MorrisonFS Enthsiast

"FSX Vista" here simply means a system running FSX on Vista, the upgrade cost being that of the new DX10 cards and other hardware (which won't be cheap). Do I need to remind you that nothing in life is free?

That's why I don't buy many addons for FS, ACES does such a good job on upgrading each version of FS, I only get the bare essentials for addons in the next version of FS...Mostly I have terrain data from FSGENESIS... A few specialized aircraft such as the 767 and PA-38-112 get upgraded, all else eventually ends up in FS, such as the DH Beaver...I learned my lesson way back in FS98 not to buy a whole lot of addons that will end up just going down the drain on the next version of FS ;)

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

FS2004 will still be in use on my PC long after FSX comes out. I bought FS2004 the day it was released, and it didn't take me long to miss all the great fs2002 addons which were no longer compatible. The biggest thing for me is that I have not been able to crank fs2004 up graphically yet. I'd like to do that before I move on. I will buy FSX eventually, it is just a matter of when. However I am planning on FS2004 being my primary sim for at least 6 months to a year after FSX. Running both really isn't a problem, all you need is enough hard drive space.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

>FS2004 will still be in use on my PC long after FSX comes>out. >>I bought FS2004 the day it was released, and it didn't take me>long to miss all the great fs2002 addons which were no longer>compatible. >>I will buy FSX eventually, it is just a matter of when. >However I am planning on FS2004 being my primary sim for at>least 6 months to a year after FSX. DITTO