Sign in to follow this  
Wolfko

the eerie crash of helios airways flight 522

Guest drobson

Guys, that's just Joe being Joe.I very clearly understood what Lou had said. Not knowing the procedure in Greece, makes it any body's guess as to how long it could take to get any investigation and reporting done. Nothing more, nothing less.Darrell

>Those "things which just ain't right" are voiced by hearsay,>hoaxes, and people drawing conclusions from incorrect and>incomplete data who've neither the training nor the authority>to make such statements.>>Wait for the official report, and THEN go launch your>conspiracy theories about a great government coverup (which>seems the usual outcome of any investigation).I may not be an authority, but I've had a little bit of training. If I was investigating this event, which I am not, but if i was, my first question would be "Was the crew O2 bottle turned on?" The typical 1800psi O2 bottles fitted in the flightdeck to supply the pilot's oxygen masks are of a design that can be technically described as "lousy". The main problem with them is the design of the on/off knob. They are very difficult to tell whether the bottle is actually turned on or turned off. The detent for the on position is very very slight, and very difficult to tell whether the knob is in the proper on position or not. Also, some bottles are designed such that the action to open the knob is a clockwise turn while the action to close the knob is a counterclockwise turn. Opposite of all other twist knobs used in the civilized world. And when closed, you can still even rest it in the "on" detent. Ha ha. Though pilots test the crew O2 system before flight, that does not mean anything. The testing action only briefly expels a small amount of oxygen through the mask momentarily. Even if the O2 bottle is turned off, there can be enough O2 trapped in the line that you can obtain many successful O2 tests. Even if the O2 bottle has an idiot proof knob that just twists on or twist off like a regular 20oz bottle of Pepsi, the bottle is placed out of the way and is usually not part of the preflight check of most pilots.Just like tech support should always ask the caller whether the computer is plugged in and turned on, the investigators should probably start by asking whether the O2 was plugged in and turned on also.

>Guys, that's just Joe being Joe.>>I very clearly understood what Lou had said. Not knowing the>procedure in Greece, makes it any body's guess as to how long>it could take to get any investigation and reporting done. >Nothing more, nothing less.>Me too.....Joe's response caught me by surprise; but not really I suppose! He just doesn't think much of payware, and apparently anyone connected with it. I like payware, this place, the "other" place; and by all means, if Joe wants apologies to take place, then he, may start by apologizing to Lou! ;( L.Adamsonedit: add the word "he"

jeroen...I see. In the world according to jeroen, it is a conspiracy theory to say, "wait for the facts, then to weigh them.""I'll agree with everyone over the concept of "hold the phone..."On the other hand, there are some things which just ain't right. You should remember those things whenever you weigh the facts."Thank you for your opinion jeroenbtPS...You say only qualified folks should speak to such esoteric topics as aviation. I am qualified to speak to this. I have an extensive background in aviation, computers and safety. I'll be happy to share my credentials with you at any time.PPS...I've been "flight simmin" forever

Guest DreamFleet

How ya' doin', Larry? You finish that Vans RV7 yet? Getting up in the Dakota tomorrow, taking one of my partners from CDW to BVY, and dodging all the TFR's along the way! All this laser testing they're doing in that area. Last time I saw a photo of the RV7 in your garage, you had monitors in front of it with FS on them. C'mon, ya' gotta finish it, then fly out to see me! Find a place to put those wings on, will ya'!Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Lou,They didn't have the "7" when I started mine! :D It's a 6A, and I'll "swear" that it's going to be painted..........in a month or two.....maybe! :)P.S. --- Throw a Garmin 396 in your Dakota & the TFR's, along with boundaries will show up in real time, using XM Satellite weather. You can easily afford it!:( Just noticed that we have a "big one" coming up for Monday. The AOPA notification say's that President Bush is coming to town.L.Adamson

LouI didn't mean to offend you I just thought that you were implying that in Greece they are too slow.I got it wrong then. I always have a great respect for you.Stelios

Stelios Christofides

Lou's background is Italian - an we all know how long such investiagtions usually take in Italy! ;-)Wolfgang

Guest DNelson

Yup, I got that notification too. Good thing I wasn't planning to go anywhere Monday...

Guest DreamFleet

Are you implying Wolfgang that in Italy they are too slow in publishing aircraft accident reports? Are you basing this from facts?That's now my new "boiler plate" response! :-lolJust kidding, Wolfgang! ;-)Aw' right, enough of this, got to go plan a real flight, and it looks like an IFR one too. Oh, while my Garmin 430 does not have weather, the Strike Finder does a real nice job. So, I think I'll hold off on the 396 for now. However, I hear Larry is going to put a G1000 into his Vans! ;-)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Hi Lou,Good to see, that you have not lost your sense of humour!Cheers,Wolfgang :-wave