Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

Aircraft FAILURE Probability %age required.

Oh yeah.. I thought of something.It would be nice to have a probablity of failure added to the failure added to the parameter list.As of now, ,when I do a random failiure.. I am vigilent to failures. I know a failure is coming. This is no good.I would like to have a failure with probablity of failiure added. This way.. I can fly for weeks without a failure..and then ..suddenly when I least expect it.. BANG..I am hit with a failure.See?:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest garwig2

I completely agree. In FS04 I either know a failure is coming so I watch for it, or I know there won't be one so there's no point in cross-referencing gauges. I'd love to see this change.

Guest davidvoogd

I'd also like to see something like this implemented, along with some failures triggered by pilot actions (exceeding load limits, landing hard, icing, etc.)

Guest garwig2

>I'd also like to see something like this implemented, along>with some failures triggered by pilot actions (exceeding load>limits, landing hard, icing, etc.)I'd also add shock cooling, overheating, over revving the engine, and engine fires.

Guest GA Flyer

I agree Manny. However, until that day comes there is a freeware addon called FSFailure that I use that does just that. It was made for FS2k2 or FS2k cant remember but still works with FS9. You might have to change something small to make it work like rename a file but its a great add-on.I have engine failure set pretty high but every once in a blue moon get an engine out. The nice thing about it is that as long as you keep moving the mix (small g/a is what I sim in) the engine runs rough and sputters but the engine doesnt quit. This happened once in the Cub and I kept getting the puff of black smoke at start-up in the VC. It looks and sounds great and you still can land without a dead engine.However I've seen more avonics fail since I have those set to fail at a less percentage factor. The way it works is it you have a list of things that can fail and you put in the time to randomly select a failure (I use every 1 min and the plane must be above 45 kts so nothing will fail on the ground) Then from the list of items you put in the chances of it failing out of 1 so if you put 4000 then you have a 1 in 4000 chance every minute of it failing.Jack

Guest DreamFleet

Manny, when I fly for real, I ALWAYS assume a failure is coming.Am I somehow being unrealistic, or perhaps after 30 years I have just been flying for too long? ;-)BTW, aside from an engine fire, NONE of those two other items mentioned above will necessarily (most likely) produce an immediate failure. However, if repeated over much time, will shorten engine life, thus making the engine less likely to achieve / exceed TBO. Obviously if you abuse the engine over time, you could expect a failure, but just shock cooling / over revving the engine once will not produce a failure (highly, highly, unlikely).Right now, I am flying a plane whose engine just passed TBO (2,000 hours), and I am not planning on an overhaul until late this year, when the engine should have about 2,200-2,300 hours on it.Oil analysis looks good, as does compression readings, and she's running fine. Just like the last Lycoming O-540 that I took to 2,300 hours, and could have gone to 2,500 hours after we examined the parts we got back after the overhaul. ;-)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Guest garwig2

>...The way it works is it you>have a list of things that can fail and you put in the time to>randomly select a failure (I use every 1 min and the plane>must be above 45 kts so nothing will fail on the ground) Then>from the list of items you put in the chances of it failing>out of 1 so if you put 4000 then you have a 1 in 4000 chance>every minute of it failing.>>JackSounds great, but it's a seperate program running in the background, right? How does it affect frame rates? That's exactly what I want, but integrated into FS so I don't have to run a whole nother program in the background.

Guest garwig2

>...aside from an engine fire, NONE of those two other items>mentioned above will necessarily (most likely) produce an>immediate failure. Really? OK, then just engine fires, then :)>...over revving the engine once will not produce a failure>(highly, highly, unlikely).Even in a jet (taking the needles into the red zones)??

> Manny, when I fly for real, I ALWAYS assume a failure is coming.I'm assuming you fly the 727 here :) Those planes have been around for ages and may be susceptible to failures. Do you plan to fly any other newer planes? If I was a commercial pilot I would be learning the 737NG. Seems like a nicer plane ;)

>Manny, when I fly for real, I ALWAYS assume a failure is>coming.>>Am I somehow being unrealistic, or perhaps after 30 years I>have just been flying for too long? ;-)>>B>>Regards,>http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpgHi Lou.I should do the same too when I am flying for real. I do for the most part. But I know that I am not perfect..sometimes complacency sets in.But when I am flying the sim aircrafts, I want to be caught off guard. That can only happen if it is a surprise...and slowly creeping in ...while I am least aware or complacent.If I put in a failure myself, then that doesn't do it. I don't want a certainity of a failure. IF I know something is going to fail, I shouldn't even fly. so I fly with no failure in my sim plane..making me even more complacent.:)Manny

Manny

>I agree Manny. However, until that day comes there is a>freeware addon called FSFailure that I use that does just>that. It was made for FS2k2 or FS2k cant remember but still>works with FS9. You might have to change something small to>make it work like rename a file but its a great add-on.>>I have engine failure set pretty high but every once in a blue>moon get an engine out. The nice thing about it is that as>long as you keep moving the mix (small g/a is what I sim in)>the engine runs rough and sputters but the engine doesnt quit.> This happened once in the Cub and I kept getting the puff of>black smoke at start-up in the VC. It looks and sounds great>and you still can land without a dead engine.>>However I've seen more avonics fail since I have those set to>fail at a less percentage factor. The way it works is it you>have a list of things that can fail and you put in the time to>randomly select a failure (I use every 1 min and the plane>must be above 45 kts so nothing will fail on the ground) Then>from the list of items you put in the chances of it failing>out of 1 so if you put 4000 then you have a 1 in 4000 chance>every minute of it failing.>>JackJack,I found one here. FSFailure v2.0 http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=...hor=&CatID=rootOK..what do I have to do..which file do I rename to make it work?:)Manny

Manny

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

How about this? I haven't tried it yet.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...4util&Go=Search-Jeremy Burchhttp://home.earthlink.net/~dawgfighter/sit...es/swvasig1.gifSWVA4806 http://www.virtualswa.com/home.phpThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!BOAC: Heathrow Centre, British Airways Speedbird Flight 723HC: British Airways Speedbird Flight 723, Heathrow Centre, go aheadBOAC: Heathrow Centre, British Airways Speedbird Flight 723 has a message for youHC: British Airways Speedbird Flight 723, Heathrow Centre is ready to copy messageBOAC: Heathrow Centre, British Airways Speedbird Flight 723, message is as follows: Mayday, Mayday, Mayday ....

Guest Badger

Hi Rick,I've tried this and many other programs.Most are based on time and not on how well your fly and take care of your machinery.FS Maintenance from Lago was the closest I found to something really special, but it involved too much configuration and it never made it to FS2004.I liked the way it failed things though... RegardsMark

Guest GA Flyer

I really liked FSMaintenance as well and its sad to see it didnt make it beyond FS2004.For payware there is also this http://www.flytechsoft.com/index.htmlFor FSFailure V2.0 its never bothered my preformance at all. One thing is that it does run in the background and at one time I use to hate that fact but since I have a Hyper Thread CPU I can make it where it runs on one thread and the sim on the other. Something t okeep in mind for all those who use many apps in the background. However, it seems to be a very very low CPU hit so on a mid to high machine you shouldnt see any frame hits at all.Anyway try and install FSFail like normal and see if it give you any errors. If so let me know and I will see what I did to fix it. It was almost three years ago that I installed it.Jack