Sign in to follow this  
MaDDogz

New system - old faithful has died

So my approx 16 year (!) old sim system had died, somehow, overnight. This was about 6 months ago. I was gutted as you can imagine. Given its age I was still able to do what I wanted in the sim (fsxA)  just with lower FPS . It was even 32 bit windows 7 😁✌️( ngx into Switzerland pro and fly logic sion LSGS no problem)

Anyway, long story short I’ve lately been getting the bug again.

This time round though, I’m gonna go in all guns blazing. 

The aim is to put my old fsx stuff on it useing it’s own SSD, but also move over to P3Dv4

ive put together a system and would like to try to get some opinions on it

The G-card is a 2080 and they ain’t cheap, the difference between 2080 and 2070 is about £223 difference, and wonder how others would look at this, is it just total overkill for P3D?  Am I better off getting the 2080 or will the benefit be lost in a sim system? 

Case
COOLERMASTER COSMOS C700M TOWER GAMING CASE ()
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7-9700K Eight Core (3.60GHz @ up to 5.0GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
500GB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Storage Drive
250GB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100x Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting
50cm RGB LED Strip
Extra Case Fans
3x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Google Chrome™
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
TIMED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND - MON-FRI (BEFORE 10.30AM)
Build Time
FAST TRACK 3 WORKING DAY DISPATCH

Price: £2,723.00 including VAT and Delivery

i look forward to your thoughts 

Luke

Luke Pype

I would suggest using NVME drives over SATA, they can be faster.  I think the Maximus has 802.11ac wifi card built into the motherboard already.  You might want to consider going for a 1TB NVME drive over the 500GB. 

• Upvote 1

Stephen Forsgren

Have you looked at the Jetline Systems machines?  

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

2 hours ago, BuddyDog said:

I would suggest using NVME drives over SATA, they can be faster.  I think the Maximus has 802.11ac wifi card built into the motherboard already.  You might want to consider going for a 1TB NVME drive over the 500GB. 

Thanks for pointing that out I didn’t even realise they were SATA - I shall look into NVMe . The WiFi card is there as I couldn’t remove it from the list

55 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

Have you looked at the Jetline Systems machines?  

Afaik, they are a Canadian company and I’m in the uk.

Luke Pype

P3Dv4 will use whatever GPU power you throw at it...whether you'd make beneficial use of a 2080's power will depend on your monitor resolution, size and refresh rate (not mentioned here) and the kind of graphics loads you want to be capable of--e.g. dynamic lighting, heavy AA, HD clouds etc.

It says "overclocked" but no mention to what clock freq.  You really want it to hit that magic 5 GHz line on all cores to make the most of that system in P3D.

Consider upgrading to Win 10 Pro...that gives you the ability to defer automatic updates for something like 6 months.  The Home version just goes ahead and updates itself, and those updates are occasionally unstable or otherwise bugged and can break your finely-tuned sim configuration. 

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 hours ago, w6kd said:

P3Dv4 will use whatever GPU power you throw at it...whether you'd make beneficial use of a 2080's power will depend on your monitor resolution, size and refresh rate (not mentioned here) and the kind of graphics loads you want to be capable of--e.g. dynamic lighting, heavy AA, HD clouds etc.

It says "overclocked" but no mention to what clock freq.  You really want it to hit that magic 5 GHz line on all cores to make the most of that system in P3D.

Consider upgrading to Win 10 Pro...that gives you the ability to defer automatic updates for something like 6 months.  The Home version just goes ahead and updates itself, and those updates are occasionally unstable or otherwise bugged and can break your finely-tuned sim configuration. 

Thanks for the reply bob 

I was thinking of useing a 32 inch main display

with a 24 inch for background things like maps , weather ect.

id like to have it looking pretty, and also fly useing real weather. For the price difference I may as well, for future proofing get the 2080.

The ocerclocking only mentions up to 5; a little vague, so maybe pop them an email to discuss that matter - on that point do you think the cooler will be enough?

Thanks for the tip on win10 updates - I do recall now mentioned but being away from the “scene” for a while these little (big) things slip the mind. 

Luke Pype

Put some serious thought into the display: 4k vs 1440p, GSync, 30Hz-capable are all considerations.  A 32 inch 30Hz capable 4k TV would be a good choice for performance, because you would need little or no AA on a 4k display of that size.

Also, I'd consider a cheap second computer, like one of the $300 laptops out there, rather than putting a second display on the primary PC.  You can run your ancillary stuff over a network connection and not introduce the complexities and performance challenges of multiple displays.

An H110 is going to be pushed to its limits for a good overclock on an 8-core 9700K.  You'll get it overclocked, but how much may be limited by the cooling.  A 2x140mm H115 would be better, one of the 3x120mm Kraken coolers even better.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks for all the info guys, I have had a jig around changing some things as follows:

added 2 ssd nvme drives

changed cooler to the H115i pro

changed to win10 pro

Case
COOLERMASTER COSMOS C700M TOWER GAMING CASE ()
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7-9700K Eight Core (3.60GHz @ up to 5.0GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
240GB ADATA SU650 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 450MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i PRO Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
LED Lighting
50cm RGB LED Strip
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Google Chrome™
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
TIMED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND - MON-FRI (BEFORE 10.30AM)
Build Time
FAST TRACK 3 WORKING DAY DISPATCH

can you see anything else I may have missed?
Thanks
Luke

Luke Pype

On 4/28/2019 at 12:25 PM, MaDDogz said:

COOLERMASTER COSMOS C700M TOWER GAMING CASE

That case is HUGE! It's also very expensive. You could get a case which is just as good, if not better for around half the price or less. I'd also add a large HDD for routine storage as you'll probably run out of the 750GB total SSD space quite quickly.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Maybe dump the 240 GB ADATA SATA drive and get a 2-3 TB HDD.  With the 2 NVMe drives, use the smaller one for your operating system and the larger one for the flight sim files.  The HDD for data back-up.

Just seems like the builder is adding some extras that you may not need.  Maybe try to talk to them directly, tell them what you are looking for and haggle the price, if you can.

• Upvote 1

Stephen Forsgren

20 hours ago, vortex681 said:

That case is HUGE! It's also very expensive. You could get a case which is just as good, if not better for around half the price or less. I'd also add a large HDD for routine storage as you'll probably run out of the 750GB total SSD space quite quickly.

Yes and very heavy at 24kg empty! Your post had me look into it a bit further and when I seen it was that heavy empty I’ve reconsidered and am now looking at getting the  cooler master mastercase 500m - Only downside is that I have to get an external dvd drive as the case don’t accommodate  - it’s need as I have a lot of software on disk.

18 hours ago, BuddyDog said:

Maybe dump the 240 GB ADATA SATA drive and get a 2-3 TB HDD.  With the 2 NVMe drives, use the smaller one for your operating system and the larger one for the flight sim files.  The HDD for data back-up.

Just seems like the builder is adding some extras that you may not need.  Maybe try to talk to them directly, tell them what you are looking for and haggle the price, if you can.

🙈 it’s me, picking the parts lol. 

My plan is to have OS on 500gb nvme ssd

P3D on the 1TB nvme ssd

fsx on adata ssd sata

and ive added the 1TB HDD for general stuff. 

I don’t   plan on doing much else than sim so mega amounts of storage would be wasted, and it’s easy enough to add more later down the line.

Luke Pype