Sign in to follow this  
skip d

Scenery differences

I prefer to fly low and slow....5-7k altitude,and like realistic scenery.I just added an EVGA 1080Ti to my hardware in the hopes of boosting reality.For the 500 dollar investment,

it didn't seem to make as huge an impact as I was hoping for. 

I have been using UTX/USA for my scenery and was wondering if anybody has switched from UTX to ORBX and if it made a significant

difference. ORBX seems to be rather costly.Does it ever go "on sale"? 

Thanks for any input...

Skip D

Hi skip d,
I used UTX in the past but switched years from now to ORBX. Both are good, best you look for some YouTube videos and make the comparison your self. I suggest if you switch go for ORBX Global (textur replacement) and Open Land Class north america first to replace UTX/USA. After that get ORBX Vector (realistic coastline and streets). Some like ORBX some don't so...
Wait for a sale. There sure is one coming in summer. Usually 50 % off.

I like the ORBX style a lot. Also you get plenty of free small airports (around 280 fields) and the seasonal change is much better as with UTX. But tastes are like butts. 😉

Be aware if you start with the regional packs it gets pricy pretty fast. But they are a hole different level compared to UTX.

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg

.. and you have the option of holding off on Vector..

Orbx Global and LC are a great place to start..

Vector has performance and compatibility implications that the other two do not..

Bert

I use GEP3d, UTX and Orbx regions. For me, I don 't like FTX Global at all, prefer GEP3D. UTX is like Vector but the frame rate hit is much less.

Big thing though is what YOU like to see - only way to know is to try.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

2 hours ago, skip d said:

I prefer to fly low and slow....5-7k altitude,and like realistic scenery.I just added an EVGA 1080Ti to my hardware in the hopes of boosting reality.For the 500 dollar investment,

it didn't seem to make as huge an impact as I was hoping for. 

I have been using UTX/USA for my scenery and was wondering if anybody has switched from UTX to ORBX and if it made a significant

difference. ORBX seems to be rather costly.Does it ever go "on sale"? 

Thanks for any input...

Skip D

I just wanna know where you found a 1080ti for $500 bucks !!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

WAT1460.png

UTX contains both landclass and vector scenery.  It is only a part of a complete scenery sandwich--mesh scenery which defines the shape of the ground surface, ground textures that are the graphical images overlaid onto the mesh, landclass which defines which ground texture image to use on each individual ground surface tile, and vector scenery that overlays the textures with roads, coastlines, accurately-placed coasts and water bodies etc.  Another option is photoreal scenery, which replaces landclass and textures, and instead overlays the mesh with picture bitmaps obtained from satellite or aerial imagery, but that is another discussion entirely.

In P3D I use the default mesh, Orbx FTX Global for ground texture replacement, Orbx OpenLC landclass (in North America, South America, and Europe), and UTX for vector scenery in the US, Canada and Europe.  I also have all of the Orbx US and Australian regional sceneries, which contain their own mesh, landclass, textures, and some photoreal stuff as well in those areas.

I used to use large, expensive, and performance-impacting enhanced mesh products, but in many years of trying, I never was able to get away from constant nagging problems with add-on mesh incompatibility with other add-ons.  It's a real buzzkill to fly into a field and encounter a sunken or plateaued airport, floating and buried buildings, etc.  It does make the mountains look nice, but in the end I concluded that it's just not worth all the butt pain.

For ground texture replacement in P3D there is Orbx FTX Global and Ground Environment P3D.  In FSX I used Ground Environment X (GEP3D's predecessor), but I ended up with FTX Global in P3D because, at the time, the GEP3D product licensing description somewhat ominously stated that it was strictly for Academic use only, and I found FTX Global on sale for $40.  I've since stayed with FTXG as part of a combined package together with their add-on airports and also the large and growing number of freeware airport enhancements that they offer as part of the FTXGlobal environment.

I use Orbx' OpenLC for landclass...it expands the number of LC types available, and I think it looks better than the landclass built into UTX due to more variability and lack of repetetive tiling when viewed at altitude.

For vector scenery, UTX or Orbx Vector are options.  I kept UTX for its vector scenery, as Orbx Vector has been a real bucket of worms for many people, with copious elevation-related issues much like the problems I described above with mesh products, plus problems affecting sim performance.

So for the OP, you need not necessarily switch from UTX to improve your visuals...what you need first and foremost is to better complete your "scenery sandwich" by adding at the very least, a ground texture replacement program to the mix.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

A big THANK YOU for all your suggestions !!!

And I see ORBX is having a May sale.

I think I'm gonna go with it after I return from my week of paying homage to the fallen at Normandy.

appreciate the input !!

Skip D