Sign in to follow this  
Tomaz Drnovsek

Buildings receive shadows option

I watched numerous P3D tuning guides (I know, waste of time, but I did) on Youtube and I always click on "this is my settings" links on forums. To my surprise pretty much nobody has "Buildings receive shadows" option ticked in the Lighting section in Options. To me, this option makes quite a difference. Without it, the buildings are really bright and pop out like overly bleached teeth or something. With this option ticked the scenery looks much more natural, the buildings blend with the environment much better in my opinion. So, do you use this option and if not, why? Just something I was wondering about for quite some time...

Edited by 0Artur0
  • Like 1

i am using i too, caus as you say the buldings are to bright when unticked and i have clouds drawing shadows

Carsten U

I have no idea either. I would imagine it’s performance related for most people. If you have a cloudy day it’s hard on the GPU. That being said I see people with 1080ti’s who don’t use it.

i for one would rather have “normal” or “sparse” autogen density then the white teeth you describe. 

I could not turn this option off, exactly due to the reason you mentioned: on a cloudy day, the autogen buildings then show like popping out and illuminated totally wrong (same is true for the vegetation receive option in my opinion). That is why I have it on. As most other shadowing options, shadows do a lot for immersion in my opinion.

However, as mentioned, shadows can totally ruin your performance in dusk/dawn and night time flying when using higher antialiasing modes along. Thats why I created presets in the P3D graphics options allowing me to easily switch:

- Day time flying with most shadow options on and 4xSSAA

- night time flying with many of the shadow options turned off and only 4xMSAA.

Like this, I can keep my 30FPS cutoff (I use the internal limiter) in almost all situations. If I fly from day to night time, I switch the preset as soon as FPS drop is to big. As long as only shadowing options, AA and other GPU related stuff is changed, changing a preset does not even result in a reload of the sim, it works on the fly (sometimes it takes two, three seconds to reload the image).

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I absolutely couldn't run without it, along with the other 'receive' options under shadows. It looks awful if one of those receive options isn't ticked and you suddenly come across something in the sim world that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Edited by Sethos1988
  • Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I always have this option checked for the same reason, but I have a meaty enough GPU to manage it.  With my old 980Ti I couldnt always manage that in 4k

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I always try to use it s it adds nice depth when looking at, say, a city skyline in the late afternoon.  Of course it depends on the area as it does eat up FPS.  I also use shadows for trees but keep unchecked tree shadows falling upon other objects as that is too much for my system and up in the air I couldn't see the effect if I tried.

• Like 1

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

This is an interesting and informative thread. I'm wondering if you guys who use these shadow settings are mainly GA or jet liners flyers. I fly mainly study level tubes myself and have to walk the eye candy / performance line.

Vic green

I mainly fly GA, but ever without "buildings receive shadows". Same of course goes with "vegetation receives shadows". 

Karl

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

I always find myself disabling it. Not sure why LM hasnt moved this intirely to the GPU. I use an GTX1080ti and mostly i have plenty of room even in 4K but some places it eats my fps. Havent found out the sweet spot. Just disabled it in Vegas 

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

2 hours ago, kaha said:

I mainly fly GA, but ever without "buildings receive shadows". Same of course goes with "vegetation receives shadows". 

Karl

Sorry, this should read never, not ever. So, I have switched it on. 

Karl

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

14 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

I'm wondering if you guys who use these shadow settings are mainly GA or jet liners flyers.

Both. And I use presets in the graphics menue to get along with the different requirements. I have an preset called "Standard IFR" for tubeliners with high settings but not max., a "Standard Night" preset for tubeliner flying in dusk/dawn/night flying with reduced shadow and reflection settings and then I have a "VFR Max Settings" preset that is self explanatory, for VFR slow and low GA flying, almost everything on max. including shadows and reflections. For all presets I have a frame limit of 30 set inside P3D.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Very interesting to see that many others are using this option too. I guess all those guides and tutorials disable "eye-candy" to gain some extra performance. But that's the thing... before I started using it I thought this would kill my FPS since shadows are usually pretty demanding and there can be A LOT of buildings. To my surprise, I barely notice any difference in FPS with it on or off. I don't run 4K though. I also didn't test it in various situations so it can very well eat up quite some FPS in urban areas. Of course, if your computer can't handle demanding settings than I also understand to leave it off.

Receive Shadows alone does not need a lot of performance, especially not if it is just cloud shadows. It is the shadow casting that eats up FPS under certain conditions. My "compromise" regarding shadows is that I turned off vegetation shadow casting, as it anyway looks silly for most situations due to the x-sprite tree construction. Maybe, if 3D trees (speedtrees) are finally looking better, I might turn tree shadows again on.

Greetings, Chris

I keep all 'receive' boxes checked as stated by AnkH above it does not eat much performance.  Casting causes the hit and terrain casting causes a pretty large hit so have never used that. I only use cloud, internal/external vehicle cast....

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11