Sign in to follow this  
Ariel

APU Interior Sound

I really enjoy the Conquest,Lear and the Falcon - many thanks for them!   I fly them all, mostly IFR, with some VFR in the Conquest.  However, I now find the Falcon APU has become unusabledue solely to the sound volume in the cockpit.  I've never flown in a Falcon of any type, but I would expect the APU to be almost inaudible up front.  This one now drowns out the main engines when they are running!

I think I saw a statement (can't find it now) saying that it is the exterior sound and that's all we can have - inside and out.  If so, I would greatly prefer big reduction in volume, or none at all inside (even if I lost it outside as well).   Right now I have stopped using the APU entirely, as the only solution.  Or maybe there is a sound file I could delete..?

Keep up the good work - Flysimware is hugely appreciated.

Graham

Hi! Those sounds are not located in the airplane/sound folder, like engine sounds, gear & co. If I remember well, they are located in a flysimware subfolder inside the main FSX sound folder (if you are on FSX, I don't kow P3D)

I've edited the APU sound to make it way lower. If you want I can send it to you

7 hours ago, Ariel said:

I really enjoy the Conquest,Lear and the Falcon - many thanks for them!   I fly them all, mostly IFR, with some VFR in the Conquest.  However, I now find the Falcon APU has become unusabledue solely to the sound volume in the cockpit.  I've never flown in a Falcon of any type, but I would expect the APU to be almost inaudible up front.  This one now drowns out the main engines when they are running!

I think I saw a statement (can't find it now) saying that it is the exterior sound and that's all we can have - inside and out.  If so, I would greatly prefer big reduction in volume, or none at all inside (even if I lost it outside as well).   Right now I have stopped using the APU entirely, as the only solution.  Or maybe there is a sound file I could delete..?

Graham

I think  you are correct in that we can have only one sound -- inside or outside. I'm not aware of any way to detect what particular view a user is using in order to adjust the sound accordingly (someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this).  I would expect the APU is used most often with a pilot in the cockpit (such as when starting engines) so I would choose the 'inside' version as my choice for the sound.

I'm hoping Jim Barrett sees this thread since he has real world experience in maintaining Falcon 50s and so would be the best one to comment on an appropriate sound level.

Al

Edited by ark

17 hours ago, Ariel said:

Graham

Here is something I have found helpful to keep in mind:

Many of the FSW custom sounds, like the APU and switch sounds, are controlled by the Windows volume control setting typically found on the bottom right of the display. If, with the sim running, you right click on this control and open the Volume Mixer you will find a FSX or P3D slider. FSW suggests that you set this slider to somewhere between 25 and 50 percent according to your preferences. Then go into the sim itself and set the sound sliders for the engines, cockpit,  environment, etc., as desired. So in essence you have to balance the sound volumes controlled by Windows with those controlled directly by the sim. You would probably not want the Windows control turned way up and the sim sound sliders way down.

Al

Thanks for the input Guys.  I have followed Solo 1984's lead and edited the three sound files concerned with a free wave editor.  Thanks for the tip on where to find them Solo.  I reduced the volume to about 10% of the original, and (for me) they are now acceptable in the cockpit, so that's fine and I can use the APU again.  Maybe a mod for a future upgrade..?

Graham

In another thread in this subforum, it was said that the intention of the APU sound was for it to be loud, because typically the exterior door is open when it is running.

I do wish there was a better way to config that sound vol without resorting to editing the wav file.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB