Sign in to follow this  
whamil77

Carenado Turbo Commander Mod v6.0

This updates my earlier mod of the 690B to make it compatible with Prepar3D v4.4.  But, there is much more to it than just that.  It is my most extensive mod to date and brings many of the aircraft’s systems into compliance with the Pilot Operating Handbook.  The limitations of the simulator and some limitations to the add-on I couldn’t overcome prevented perfection and I will attempt to highlight those shortcomings as I go.
Corrections and additions.
1.     Compatible with P3Dv4.4.
2.    Modeled prop drag or “disk drag” at very low inflight power settings.  Pulling the power levers to idle will result in significant deceleration and could result in hard landings or worse.  
3.    Modeled the electrical system to include battery state and external power availability.  
4.    Corrected RPM and EGT.  
5.    Start locks actually work.  Fail to engage the start locks on shutdown will result in feathered propellers.  Attempting to start an engine with feathered propellers will result in bad things happening.  Unfeathering procedure in accordance with the POH, including appropriate battery depletion if not using external power.
6.    Corrected deice boots switch to a 3-position switch.  Momentary single cycle position returns to center and regulated bleed pressure drops accordingly.
7.    Corrected cabin and panel light switches.  They are now independent.
8.    Corrected Propeller and Generator inlet ammeter.
9.    Extensively overhauled the AP-106 autopilot.  It now works properly both in the VC and in the pop-up and the altitude preselect/alert now works properly.
10.    The optional KFC-300 autopilot is also included.
11.    Corrected the Hydraulic Pressure gauge.
12.    Corrected the Annunciator Test button.
13.    Added touchdown effect that has tire “chirp” at touchdown.
14.    Corrected the backwards rudder trim indicator.
15.    Added an optional power and condition lever matching algorithm.
16.    Added an optional automatic pressurization controller that works from altitude entered in the autopilot.  
17.    Added a new Start Window that includes a Cold and Dark button, a Step-by-step start button that can be used as a tutorial until you become comfortable with the airplane systems.  Be warned….you can not just jump in and start flying this airplane without complying with the Pilot Operating Handbook.  The Start Window also has a quick start button.  
18.    Pilot Operating Handbooks included for the 690B and the 980.  Carenado modeled a Rockwell 690B Turbo Commander that had been modified with TPE331-10 engines and uses EGT gauges instead of ITT gauges.  The 690B POH includes systems and procedures information.  The 980 POH is the place to find performance and -10 engine limitations.  
19.    As usual, I included repercussions for not following procedures.  You will likely want to have the engine fire procedures memorized.
20.    Models included for GTN and GNS.  
21.    Normal and LITE versions merged into a single folder.

Things not corrected:
1.    P3D still uses a free turbine turboprop engine model.  I have made every effort to emulate the direct drive TPE331 but you will see some minor surging issues.
2.    There is a conflict in the model between the Left Generator Inlet Heat switch and the R Pitot Heat switch.  To turn the Left Generator Inlet Heat switch to OFF, the Right Pilot Heat switch must first be turned OFF.  Once the Inlet Heat switch is OFF, the Pitot Heat can be turned to ON.

The mod requires the installation of XMLTools appropriate to the simulator and can be downloaded here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/authors/taguilo.1802/

The mod also requires FSUIPC for proper autopilot operation. 

As usual, this mod should be considered Beta.  Please post problems you find in the AVSIM Carenado 690B forum so that others can verify and provide help in addition to my own. 

I hope to be ready for distribution by the weekend.  If you are on the mailing list your copy will arrive via email.  If you are not on the list and would like to give the mod a try, send me a PM here with your email address.  Here are some "teasers"....

tMBRQs5.jpg

5WMFKBu.jpg

aQBLGQr.jpg

r5SmOvr.jpg

IfBnXty.jpg

Regards,

Bill

Edited by whamil77
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

This looks fantastic, Bill! Thanks a lot.

Edited by Flyfox

Felix

Hi Bill, I can only commend you for your excellent work, the community is very grateful for this wonderful enhancement! However, I do have one question:

8 hours ago, whamil77 said:

2.    Modeled prop drag or “disk drag” at very low inflight power settings.  Pulling the power levers to idle will result in significant deceleration and could result in hard landings or worse.  

Do you get much prop drag with the TPE331? I thought flight idle was set to provide a fair amount of torque/thrust to prevent the propeller airflow driving the engine and activating the NTS (so they set high idle power to make sure it's always the engine turning the prop)? I know you get prop braking when you go below flight idle in to beta range (so the engine sits on the underspeed governor and the power levers then control prop pitch) but use of that is prohibited in-flight.

Just thought of a second question actually, will you deploying your improvements on to other Carenado TPE331 models like the Do228?

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

Hi Bill, I can only commend you for your excellent work, the community is very grateful for this wonderful enhancement! However, I do have one question:

Do you get much prop drag with the TPE331? I thought flight idle was set to provide a fair amount of torque/thrust to prevent the propeller airflow driving the engine and activating the NTS (so they set high idle power to make sure it's always the engine turning the prop)? I know you get prop braking when you go below flight idle in to beta range (so the engine sits on the underspeed governor and the power levers then control prop pitch) but use of that is prohibited in-flight.

Just thought of a second question actually, will you deploying your improvements on to other Carenado TPE331 models like the Do228?

It is very easily adjustable right down to zero.  I'm a old PT6 guy and I know they will slam on the brakes if you pull them to idle.  If the 331 acts differently perhaps we can get some opinions during testing from some 331 pilots.  I'll make the adjustment accordingly.

The next will probably be the Conquest.  But it will be a while before I can get to it. 

The TPE331 is a weird (and loud) beast compared to the PT6! However I have no first hand experience of the Garretts, I've just read manuals and heard from people who flew them, so I can't be sure about the prop disc drag/brake effect in the air.

I do know for sure that the big Garrett on the Jetstream 41 deliberately produces significant thrust at flight idle which makes it difficult to lose speed whilst descending, but I don't know if the lower power versions are different in that regard; could anyone with experience comment?

The "optional power and condition lever matching algorithm" is an interesting idea and probably a good idea for preventing newbie engine fires! I presume the logic is approximately 72% RPM for ground ops, 100% RPM for takeoff and 95-98% cruise and descent?

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

36 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

The TPE331 is a weird (and loud) beast compared to the PT6! However I have no first hand experience of the Garretts, I've just read manuals and heard from people who flew them, so I can't be sure about the prop disc drag/brake effect in the air.

I do know for sure that the big Garrett on the Jetstream 41 deliberately produces significant thrust at flight idle which makes it difficult to lose speed whilst descending, but I don't know if the lower power versions are different in that regard; could anyone with experience comment?

The "optional power and condition lever matching algorithm" is an interesting idea and probably a good idea for preventing newbie engine fires! I presume the logic is approximately 72% RPM for ground ops, 100% RPM for takeoff and 95-98% cruise and descent?

The 331-10 "DASH TEN" its cappable to fly on 100% RPM all the way, its easy, just TO and forget about the Condition lever, 

Redgars

RB

I think all TPE331 are certified for 100% continuous RPM in all flight phases, provided you don't care about fuel consumption! I'd say noise but I doubt 5% reduction in RPM makes much difference, Garretts scream all flight anyway. But if you're just going to leave them at 100%, what's the point of "power and condition lever matching algorithm".

Edited by ckyliu

support1.jpg

Bill for President!

Thanks again, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

I think all TPE331 are certified for 100% continuous RPM in all flight phases, provided you don't care about fuel consumption! I'd say noise but I doubt 5% reduction in RPM makes much difference, Garretts scream all flight anyway. But if you're just going to leave them at 100%, what's the point of "power and condition lever matching algorithm".

Some simulator hardware controllers "wander" a bit.  I have a very high end PFC rig and it is very difficult to perfectly match power and condition levers.  Because they must be calibrated separately it is almost impossible to get both levers to command the same position.  If the power levers are very close together, the algorithm overrides the calibration and matches them.  The left is the master and the right is the slave, much like prop sync.  The matching algorithm has nothing to do with limits.  It only matches levers when they are already very close together. 

Edited by whamil77
  • Like 1

Very Cool Bill... your work is more than appreciated. Without you the TC would be collecting dust for sure...

Many Thx

T.

When completed are you sending it to your email list or do we have to request again.

rdh1045@hotmail.com

You do great work and the 690B is my go to aircaft for sure. Got more hours on it than anything else in the hanger.

Thanks again

Dick

FSX Deluxe Edition SP1 and SP2, Win 7 Home Premium SP1, Intel Core i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67 GHz 2.66 GHz,10 GB RAM, 64-bit Operating System, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4MB Ram

Thanks Bill for your great work in providing us these wonderful and very enjoyable mods--looking forward to this updated mod for the TC.