Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Names...

While I understand the privacy issues that make a lot of people nervous signing their names to the end of their posts it is awkward to answer to XDY741.  Too impersonal.

I'm a friendly guy.  At the checkout line in the super market I always note the name tag of the checker and address them by name.  "Laura, that's a nice name," always gets a smile and a little bit of a conversation.  And the next time I go Laura remembers me.

You don't have to use your surname if you are concerned about privacy.  But it would be nice if when I reply I could address you as Robert or George or Sue.

Not a big thing.  But to my way of thinking a nice thing.

Noel 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

28 minutes ago, birdguy said:

While I understand the privacy issues that make a lot of people nervous signing their names to the end of their posts it is awkward to answer to XDY741.  Too impersonal.

I'm a friendly guy.  At the checkout line in the super market I always note the name tag of the checker and address them by name.  "Laura, that's a nice name," always gets a smile and a little bit of a conversation.  And the next time I go Laura remembers me.

You don't have to use your surname if you are concerned about privacy.  But it would be nice if when I reply I could address you as Robert or George or Sue.

Not a big thing.  But to my way of thinking a nice thing.

Noel 

I used to use Cactus521, not because I wanted to hide my name, it's just that Cactus was the callsign of our former home airlines in Phoenix, first America West then USAirways, then merged with American, and May 21st is my birthday.  Finally I got the privilege of helping US Airways and American merge their crew scheduling software on a short IT contract back in 2014, fulfilling my fantasy of working for an airline, practically every simmer's fantasy. 

I felt it so cool to display that security badge walking thru Sky Harbor Airport, although I never used it to go thru security, I would only go thru security if I was either flying somewhere or once, in 1994, when I was given a special security clearance to see my fiance off to Mexico in SFO's old International terminal, the friendly gate agent saw my misery of wanting to hold my fiance while she waited for her flight, and gave me a security badge that essentially let me in and out of a customs area with no issues.

Now at Avsim I use my real name, members here have known it for eons since I published add on software, scenery and aircraft here so why hide it.  If I have offended some here I always make amends, I have never found someone I offended here unforgiving, which sadly is not like the real world, which can be very unforgiving at times.  It is because of our love for flight, our countries (homelands) that make us both ambassadors and blood brothers/sisters. 

If I find myself acting like a parent here I either slap myself on the wrist or let the mods do it, I have a grown daughter and as you raise a child you realize you have a choice, to drop your parental attitude in preparation for being a grandparent, cousin, brother, sister, aunt or uncle, or to let your parental attitude smother people with wisdom they do not need.

I prefer to share experience, not wisdom, in order to stop being a parent and enjoy my youth again, rather than being an old curmudgeon, lol.  I learned a lot from my recent car accident, being run over two months ago, in my healing, to accept PTSD rather than fight it. 

You have to accept PTSD from the fights in your life, otherwise your name becomes worthless, and you do not walk the talk I have learned.  It is better to walk the talk than to fight, fighting removes enjoyment from life but for one fight, the fight to live and embrace life as it comes.

John

• Like 3

This horse has been beat more than once in the forums. A persons true name is not required to be a member of Avsim but many complaints have been files by those that were offended by the PMDG forum which required full names.  Since we have retained informal person to person help in our PMDG forums, that is no longer the case.

I agree real names are nice but not  enough to let it bother me.  Some like red, some like blue, but if I like green it shouldn't worry you.

• Like 2

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

> But it would be nice if when I reply I could address you as Robert or George or Sue

My name is neither Robert, nor George,nor Sue, but if it makes you happy to call me one or the other, please feel free.

• Like 1

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

9 minutes ago, GACSavannah said:

> But it would be nice if when I reply I could address you as Robert or George or Sue

My name is neither Robert, nor George,nor Sue, but if it makes you happy to call me one or the other, please feel free.

Just don't call me "late for dinner"!🍕

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

"How do you do, my name is Sue"  (Johnny Cash)

LOL

Sue

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Penzoil3 said:

"How do you do, my name is Sue"  (Johnny Cash)

LOL

Sue

Yo, Sue....How do yo do?  Please don't jump into a burning ring of fire:happy:

• Like 4

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

When I go to the grocery store I always use the 12 items or less checkout when I have more then 12 items, when someone calls me out I just tell them my names Les 

• Like 1

Matthew Kane

Hello, My Name is Larry, this is my brother Daryl, this is my other brother Daryl....  And at the end the Daryl's finally say "SHUT UP"  Classic comedy, then the ending of it all, who would not want to wake up to Susanne Pleshette!, she was a wonderful actress, a girlfriend to all who loved to travel, she passed just a year before my mother did, the mothers of the baby boom!....

John

Hi!  my name is Jean-Jacques.  When in 1973 I joined an american company specialized in extracorporeal blood treatment located in Denver, I was presented to my future colleagues in America.  Most of those laides and guys had never seen a European before so they all went on by asking me "how do you spell your name?" until someone asked "do you mind if we call you Jayjay?".  And this is how I have been called by my american colleagues for the 25 years I worked with them until my retirement.

Jean-Jacques aka Jayjay

• Upvote 1

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

Just don't call me Shirley.....

• Like 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

"My name is Raymond J. Johnson Jr. Now you can call me Ray, or you can call me J, or you can call me Johnny, or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me Junie, or you can call me Junior; now you can call me Ray J, or you can call me RJ, or you can call me RJJ, or you can call me RJJ Jr., or . . ."  (William Saluga).

Older folks may remember.

Dugald Walker

I was thinking of that earlier. 😆But the end was "you doesn't have to call me Johnson".

Hilarious. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I was going to add the ending but I felt I would need to think up another five or six alternative names to give the full effect, so I left it open.

Dugald Walker

8 hours ago, Jayjay said:

Hi!  my name is Jean-Jacques.  When in 1973 I joined an american company specialized in extracorporeal blood treatment located in Denver, I was presented to my future colleagues in America.  Most of those laides and guys had never seen a European before so they all went on by asking me "how do you spell your name?" until someone asked "do you mind if we call you Jayjay?".  And this is how I have been called by my american colleagues for the 25 years I worked with them until my retirement.

Jean-Jacques aka Jayjay

That's like when a guy named Bob from America moves to India and starts a new job and everyone cannot pronounce his name Baub or Bub or Baab but can't get it right, so they just tell him why can't you just have a normal name like Bhuvaneshwar  😅

Edited by Matthew Kane
  • Like 1

Matthew Kane