Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Names...

5 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

That's like when a guy named Bob from America moves to India and starts a new job and everyone cannot pronounce his name Baub or Bub or Baab but can't get it right, so they just tell him why can't you just have a normal name like Bhuvaneshwar  😅

😂

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

Team / All / Shirley

Enjoying the banter ...... but I "seriously" encourage that should one reply to a post with a "signature" (first name obvious or not), one at least addresses that user's first name directly (as you would in the "real")

Why encourage a "signature" (different to a username) if one can't at least receive a similarly responsive reply.

for now, cheers

john martin

11 hours ago, vadriver said:

Team / All / Shirley

Enjoying the banter ...... but I "seriously" encourage that should one reply to a post with a "signature" (first name obvious or not), one at least addresses that user's first name directly (as you would in the "real")

Why encourage a "signature" (different to a username) if one can't at least receive a similarly responsive reply.

Huh? Want to rephrase that so it makes sense ?

I think that John means he would like us to refer to him as John in preference to vadriver.

I'm easy: refer to me as HighBypass or Mark. No problem either way.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

24 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

I think that John means he would like us to refer to him as John in preference to vadriver.

I'm easy: refer to me as HighBypass or Mark. No problem either way.

I've had my first name in Red Bolded Super-sized in my signature block since nearly forever, but most still call me N4GIX (which is my amateur radio call-sign.

Now I'm glad I didn't use my GMRS call-sign: WQWU626... :laugh:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I’ve been using my name for years and nothing untoward has happened to me. I can think of a few other Brits who do the same. I would much rather engage in a chat with someone who at least gives their forename in their sig even if their forum name is xyz.

What I do find irritating and sometimes unhelpful is the lack of a country. If someone wants help with choice of computer components or other hardware knowing where they live is essential. I’m not asking for the road you live on but what’s wrong with a state (US) or county (UK)?

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, n4gix said:

I've had my first name in Red Bolded Super-sized in my signature block since nearly forever, but most still call me N4GIX (which is my amateur radio call-sign.

My entire family has Italian nicknames, as Italian families do, all ending with the "eee" sound.  I am referred to in my family, except by my ex wife out of respect for some reason, as Johnny, then we have my daughter Lindsey, my nephews Joey and Bobby, my cousins Joey and Paulie, my other cousins Johnny, I had my brother Mickey and David but we did not call him Davy--bad temper, lol, but blood brother as we got older before both brothers passed.  My Dad was named Michael but all his buddies just called him Mike, not Mikie, and my Mom's Name was Joyce, Her brother's name was David, who my brother was named after.  I was named after my maternal grandfather John, who descended from the Pilgrims most likely from Miles Standish, since he had fierce red hair and so did my Mom, and I had hints of his red hair in my brown hair, unlike the black hair in the rest of my Italian family.  Red hair is good for dealing with pain, our Viking ancestry as Britain was invaded by Eric the Red, and Vikings can handle a lot of pain.

But on the maternal Italian side of the family, the names are simpler, John, John, Joe, Karen and Leona.  My maternal roots are British and Scotch Irish names thru and thru, Biblical names, and my Italian roots originated in Spain, then went all over Europe, with one of my distant relatives being a Knight in the Norman conquest, so in the way distance I am related to royalty but I feel that is true of most of the human race anyway, with all the intermarriage that took place to broker peace between families, save for Romeo and Juliet, lol....

What's in a name anyway, names are not important, as we were all created, even twins slightly, equally different, my best friend in high school's way of dealing with the racism Italians and Germans received after WWII, since there were some grudges with those with British backgrounds and other ethnic backgrounds.

But what I learned in my oft travels in Europe, to know my roots, is that the Italians and Germans were forever thankful and forgiving to the allies bombardments, because they did what no one else could do, they got rid of a totalitarian regime and rebuilt their countries into a more relaxed society like ours in the US.

John

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

I'm with you Fr. Bill. My name is Douglas Robbins and I, too, use my amatuer call sign. If someone wants to look me up then, as Rhett Butler once said, "I don't give a word not allowed"..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

PMDG may have a point at real names, if a post is critical of PMDG they can tell if they are an owner of there products, REX requires an order number on there forum for support, if on the other hand we are talking hiding behind a made up name try FB and see the trolling that goes on, I don't have a problem with real names as it tends to reduce that.  

Edited by rjfry
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

3 hours ago, rjfry said:

they can tell if they are an owner of there products

raymond

I buy all with a "trust account" ... no link to my real name as you call it.

but if you if wish, you can reply, john is my forename.

for now, cheers

john martin

On 5/2/2019 at 7:46 PM, W2DR said:

I'm with you Fr. Bill. My name is Douglas Robbins and I, too, use my amatuer call sign. If someone wants to look me up then, as Rhett Butler once said, "I don't give a word not allowed"..........Doug

Let me edit this:   as Rhett Butler once said, "I don't give a damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn"

Edited by W2DR

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.