Sign in to follow this  
Phillip Gallagher

Disappointing due to taxing of system

I bought this for FSX-SE but it is virtually unflyable on FSX steam even with a high end system. I turn all my scenery sliders down to about 50% with no addon scenery and still cannot finish a basic 800 mile flight without all missing ground textures etc. due to memory issues I'm assuming.  I have a high-end gaming computer.  I never thought I could be so disappointed with a PMDG product.      

Very sorry to hear that you have had some difficulties.  I recommend writing in the PMDG forums and providing your complete system specs in the post.  That is where support is done for PMDG products.

My very best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

34 minutes ago, Phillip Gallagher said:

I never thought I could be so disappointed with a PMDG product. 

To be honest, this isn't quite fair. Over the years, people have created add-ons (scenery/airports, notably) that tax systems quite a lot. They have been able to do this due in large part to sims like P3D going to 64 bit. We spent quite a lot of time trying to manage memory to the best of our ability. This cannot be said for a number of scenery/airport devs, though some of this is simply the nature of their environment. In those cases, it has to be a trade-off. Do you want to be able to complete a flight without issue, or is the scenery from FL360 being at max detail more important?

When FSX was still my primary sim, I made it a habit to disable any airport I wasn't flying to or from, just to be sure I saved every bit possible.

We included a pretty comprehensive section in the FSX version Intro Manual describing various ways to combat out of memory, and other memory issues. Have you taken a look at those suggestions?

EDIT: To be clear, FSX is a 32 bit product. You could run it on a 1990s Pentium, or your high end computer, and the sim will still suffer the same issue: 32 bits of addressable space. When that runs out, the sim gives out. Additionally, there are various settings and tweaks required to get such an old product to behave on recent hardware. Don't forget that FSX (Steam or not) is a 15 year old product by now. There aren't many programs out there that old that people would choose to put on their computers and expect to work well at all. The 744 is subject to the limitations of the sim it's being put in. If you follow the items mentioned in the Intro, you should be fine.

Edited by scandinavian13
  • Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

On 4/30/2019 at 8:01 PM, Phillip Gallagher said:

I bought this for FSX-SE but it is virtually unflyable on FSX steam even with a high end system. I turn all my scenery sliders down to about 50% with no addon scenery and still cannot finish a basic 800 mile flight without all missing ground textures etc. due to memory issues I'm assuming.  I have a high-end gaming computer.  I never thought I could be so disappointed with a PMDG product.      

Kyle is quite right.  This is more than likely down to the limited way in which FSX/FSX-SE handles your computer's memory than a fault with your PMDG product.

If you have a look in Avsim's FSX and the PMDG User-to-User forums here (and elsewhere on the internet) you will find plenty of historical posts where users complain of OOM and CTD issues similar to yours.  If you want to get the best experience out of the latest addon aircraft and scenery then you should seriously consider upgrading to a 64bit simulator such as P3Dv4.+ or X-Plane 11+.   In fact it is highly likely we will soon have little choice but to upgrade; if only because several software companies have already stopped providing new products for the old FSX/FSX-SE 32Bit platforms.  You can of course still keep your old FSX/FSX -SE as well to fly with aircraft that are not compatible with P3Dv4.5, but I certainly don't regret moving to a 64Bit flight simulator..  

It’s perfectly possible to fly the 747v3 on long haul flights in FSX-SE without memory problems. I did so for a while on quite a modest PC. It’s an excellent product and FSX-SE, although a 32 bit program, is much better at managing memory than FSX was. You just have to be careful with what scenery addons you load with it. Follow the advice PMDG provide about minimising VAS usage in the manual that Kyle referred to. 

Edited by kevinh

ki9cAAb.jpg

1 hour ago, kevinh said:

You just have to be careful with what scenery addons you load with it. 

That's my point exactly.  However, if a user wants all of the bells and whistles that go with the latest scenery and other complex addons then the move away from FSX and FSX-SE becomes a no brainer.

On 5/7/2019 at 3:42 PM, berts said:

That's my point exactly.  However, if a user wants all of the bells and whistles that go with the latest scenery and other complex addons then the move away from FSX and FSX-SE becomes a no brainer.

It’s only a no brainer if you don’t have a problem with agreeing the P3D licence terms. Some people do. It’s also an expensive step. I think it’s important to state that you can resolve the problem without an expensive upgrade. 

ki9cAAb.jpg

11 hours ago, kevinh said:

It’s only a no brainer if you don’t have a problem with agreeing the P3D licence terms. Some people do. It’s also an expensive step. I think it’s important to state that you can resolve the problem without an expensive upgrade. 

True - and I am not suggesting for one minute that anyone should ignore P3D's licence terms.  X-Plane 11.X, is an alternative 64Bit simulator platform and is of couirse quite different to FSX and P3D which share a similar lineage.  

14 hours ago, berts said:

True - and I am not suggesting for one minute that anyone should ignore P3D's licence terms.  X-Plane 11.X, is an alternative 64Bit simulator platform and is of couirse quite different to FSX and P3D which share a similar lineage.  

Generally speaking yes but this thread is about flying the 747v3, so X-Plane isn’t currently an option.

ki9cAAb.jpg

On 4/30/2019 at 3:01 PM, Phillip Gallagher said:

Hi Phillip;

You can still enjoy flying with PMDG 747 V3 and add-on with FSX and Stream. Here are some posts that were shared by myself and other about 2 months back on still getting usage for FSX and that going to PD3 is not your only option at least for now.

This is the link to the post

And here is my input on how I still enjoy PMDG V3 and other Aircraft with add-on using FSX. Hope it helps.

echo Pete 100%. I am also an old head, still on FSX (not SE) using WIn XP. I have been using MS Flight Sim since is stared all the way up to the current FSX. Since I have been using FSX so long I have learned what to avoid and what settings to use to avoid OOM. I am very impressed with Pete's add-ons and no OOM😄 

Here is what I have got.

Aircraft: PMDG 737, QW 757, PMDG 747 V3; iFLY 747-8i (which is heavier on resources than any other of these aircraft) 

Airport / Scenery: LAX, JFK. MIA, BOS, SEA, SFO, ORD (which are all US). I only fly into add-on airports. I have no add-on scenery such as Orbx global etc. Just the surrounding scenery that comes with the add-on airport. Since most of my flights are at least 34,000 feet I wouldn't be taking advantage of the scenery below.  

Weather /Texture: Active Sky 16 / REX Texture direct with soft clouds.

Ok here is what I do to avoid OOM.

Most of my flights are in the USA 1) East coast to Midwest & vice versa; 2) East coast to West Coast & vice versa. I occasionally fly KJFK  to EGLL when I have the time to devote myself to flying, but with medium settings and only minimum views switching. I just stick to the cockpit VC views 98% of the time.

I have my REX Texture direct  cloud setting to Medium, putting it to high really screws you up and I really can't tell the difference between the two anyway. After a 5 hour flight and descending into an Add-on dense Airport scenery with heavy clouds and ATC running you need to be very careful on what you do. Hence the reason for not settings things unnecessary high.       

I haven't really experienced any OOM for a very long time now, worse case is a drop in FPS which happens. The only time I  may experience OOM is if I do a replay (120 seconds) right after I land and and exit the runway to see an outside view of my approach and touch down. Which is expected.

As Pete said, still get a lot of mileage in my FSX with modern add-ons. All of my flights now are with the PMDG 747 V3 and I will be purchasing the -8 next week. When I replace my rig in another 2 years or so I will then upgrade to PD3.

The bottom line is as add-ons become more sophisticated you need to be cognizant of your settings and how and where you fly into.

Hope this helps the OOM  FSX simmers still out there.

Best Regards.

Forshaw.