Sign in to follow this  
Dreamsofwings1

2.65 + v4.4 Dim taxi and landing lights

I and others I’ve spoke to are having issues with very dim, almost useless taxi and landing lights.  There is very little illumination on ground textures but buildings caught in the lights show up bright.   Is this something others with PTA are seeing and if so is there a fix?

image comparison below best viewed on a monitor to see the comparison.  My Ipad screen doesn’t really show the difference as it truly appears on screen.

D1Tc8BW.jpg

Using Matt’s Dec18 preset.

Many thanks 😊

Edited by Dreamsofwings1

Warbird and GA pilot on P3Dv5 & MSFS

Dreamsofwings YouTube channel

I'd imagine it's my preset just dimming the lights. Other presets (such as GSaldens - pinned at the top of the forum) don't have dimming. Each to their own with what they like - I run a huge monitor so having blazing lights doesn't work well for my poor eyes 🙂

Matt Davies

Founder/CEO - Mettar Simulations

=====
Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA) available here: https://www.simtweaks.com
projectFLY - one of the most used virtual aviation platforms (now with GLOBAL schedules):  https://www.projectfly.co.uk

29 minutes ago, MattDavies said:

I'd imagine it's my preset just dimming the lights. Other presets (such as GSaldens - pinned at the top of the forum) don't have dimming. Each to their own with what they like - I run a huge monitor so having blazing lights doesn't work well for my poor eyes 🙂

Cheers Matt, those images might not really show what I was seeing on screen unfortunately.  It was more the illumination from the taxi and landing lights on the aircraft.  The actually airport lighting was pretty good and when the aircraft taxi lights meet a building it shines up nice n' bright.  Just seems to be ground textures that are hardly lit.   Looking at the images on my work monitor you can't see the taxi lights on the PTA off image either but in sim and on my sim monitor it's there!  :huh: They were pretty much useless with the preset loaded in.  Sorry for what is probably a very dumb question for most people that use PTA but is there a way of turning the dimming off/down in your preset for night flying?

Edited by Dreamsofwings1

23 minutes ago, DuduGuimaraes said:

Hi,

Try this:

[Graphics]
MOON_PHASE_LIGHTING=0

Cheers

Eduardo

Thanks Eduardo, I only need to brighten the aircraft taxi and landing light illumination on the ground textures, is that what this will do?

Hi.

P3D v4.4 has the night brightness ajusted to the moon phase, so when there’s no moon, it is darker. On a monitor it works fine for me, but since I use a projector, it was too dark. I couldn’t see the runway and taxiways even with the lights on. Without the moon phase feature, terrain will be brighter at night, so the lights will have better effect. You can also adjust the terrain lightning within PTA.

cheers

eduardo

• Upvote 1

Which AC do you use ?

Myself I use Prosim and I amplified the landing/rw/taxi lights in the effect files that were responsable for those lights..

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Which AC do you use ?

Myself I use Prosim and I amplified the landing/rw/taxi lights in the effect files that were responsable for those lights..

Mainly A2A GA and warbirds.

Unfortunately I wouldn't have the first idea how to get into the effect files and amplify them.  The buildings light up just fine so when I get back to the sim I am going to try out Eduardo's moon phase lighting fix as hopefully that will make the illumination of the ground textures brighter.

Don't really want to be removing my PTA presets as flying from Dusk into night wouldn't be the same without PTA! :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.