Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

ORBX May sale on

Just got an email stating ORBX has a May sale...50% off!!!

Edited by flyinpilot212121
  • Like 2

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Hi,

Thank you.

Richard

Edited by DrumsArt

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I'm always like "ehhh do I really need that scenery?" *hits back button*

"Oh a sale!?!? I need that scenery! Buy em all!!!"

• Like 6

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

Hello,

Now that the ORBX sale is on 😁 I am thinking of getting Vector.

However I've seen many threads where people were raising issues related to elevation issues in 3rd party airports and also performance impact.

I am currently using UTX however it does not have the full coverage like ORBX does, BUT I do not feel it has impact performance-wise and it also does not conflict with 3rd party airports.

So... my main questions are -

1. Visually is ORBX superior?

2. How is ORBX performance when comparing to UTX? What main features would I mostly need to turn off in order to minimize the performance impact?

3. Can ALL ORBX elevation issues be solved by using the config tool and excluding specific airports or does this not guarantee error free sim experience?

Thanks for the info!

Shom

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

I'm using ORBX since years only. I've an I7-4770K and an Nvidia 1080, it's working quite nice, but my system is becoming to old now.

Visually: It's way better than my old UTX.

Performance: not sure, how more you have, how bigger are the performance impacts.

Its working for me with my PC, your's is better, should work for you. And I'm using 100%AI also.

The most products are compatible now with ORBX, because is used by a lot of useres. You have to disable some files maybe, but that's easy (there is an compatibility forum).

Suggestion: Don't start with vector. Use FSGlobal Basepack first and then maybe the FTXTrees or the Turbulent Design Trees (Better in my opinion). That's the most important thing. After this I would start with openLC (maybe only for your main region where you are flying to test), and if you are happy with this, then get vector. And if you like everything together and you wan't to see more improvement use the Regions, these are more detailed, much more detailed. Really fantastic. But be careful with the Regions, the True Earth packages are really heavy in performance.

I've updated a lot of ADE's for airports, everyone with an screenshot. There you can see if you like the ORBX world. https://jcai.dk/author/urmel81/

Regards

Urmel

Edited by Urmel81

Hey Shom.

1) I like ORBX better but there are so many videos out there so make the comparison. I switched from UTX years ago

2) The performance shouldn't be a problem if you can run UTX. There are two settings in Vector that will help when you experience a frame rate hit. Disabling traffic on certain roadtyps. And disabling very small roads. Can't  remember the exact name, something like 3rd type roads. But easy and simple to find in the vector options.

3) Never couldn't. Also Vector doesn't introduce any issues because it isn't a mesh. It does nothing to the elevation but comes with a tool that can be used to fix issues with other mesh products. I use it with pilots meshes and it is very good in my opinion.

• Like 1

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg

7 minutes ago, Urmel81 said:

I'm using ORBX since years only. I've an I7-4770K and an Nvidia 1080, it's working quite nice, but my system is becoming to old now.

Visually: It's way better than my old UTX.

Performance: not sure, how more you have, how bigger are the performance impacts.

Its working for me with my PC, your's is better, should work for you. And I'm using 100%AI also.

The most products are compatible now with ORBX, because is used by a lot of useres. You have to disable some files maybe, but that's easy (there is an compatibility forum).

Suggestion: Don't start with vector. Use FSGlobal Basepack first and then maybe the FTXTrees or the Turbulent Design Trees (Better in my opinion). That's the most important thing. After this I would start with openLC (maybe only for your main region where you are flying to test), and if you are happy with this, then get vector. And if you like everything together and you wan't to see more improvement use the Regions, these are more detailed, much more detailed. Really fantastic. But be careful with the Regions, the True Earth packages are really heavy in performance.

I've updated a lot of ADE's for airports, everyone with an screenshot. There you can see if you like the ORBX world. https://jcai.dk/author/urmel81/

Regards

Urmel

Thanks for the info forgot to mention I already use ORBX Global, LC & Trees 🙂

I will not go down to region level though since LC is visually enough for me (in conjunction with UTX/Vector)

5 minutes ago, Rasterfahnder said:

Hey Shom.

1) I like ORBX better but there are so many videos out there so make the comparison. I switched from UTX years ago

2) The performance shouldn't be a problem if you can run UTX. There are two settings in Vector that will help when you experience a frame rate hit. Disabling traffic on certain roadtyps. And disabling very small roads. Can't  remember the exact name, something like 3rd type roads. But easy and simple to find in the vector options.

3) Never couldn't. Also Vector doesn't introduce any issues because it isn't a mesh. It does nothing to the elevation but comes with a tool that can be used to fix issues with other mesh products. I use it with pilots meshes and it is very good in my opinion.

Thanks! I have traffic disabled anyway.

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

9 minutes ago, Rasterfahnder said:

Hey Shom.

Sorry this is wrong (point 3): There are conflicting Vector Files with some airports, because of that there is an option in the Vector Control Panel to deactivate some Elevation Files (it's working mostly automatic).

• Like 1

@Shomron There's a lot of customisation with Vector so you can disable things that might cause performance issues like night lighting, although it's become more optimised over the years.

There is the odd airport elevation issue, but there is a tool they include that you can use to exclude any airports that create problems for you, as others have said it's mostly automatic.

Do remember that Vector is just "lines" so roads, railways, rivers and coastlines. If you're not flying visually or along coasts you will get more benefit from Global BASE textures and OpenLC.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

4 hours ago, ckyliu said:

@Shomron There's a lot of customisation with Vector so you can disable things that might cause performance issues like night lighting, although it's become more optimised over the years.

There is the odd airport elevation issue, but there is a tool they include that you can use to exclude any airports that create problems for you, as others have said it's mostly automatic.

Do remember that Vector is just "lines" so roads, railways, rivers and coastlines. If you're not flying visually or along coasts you will get more benefit from Global BASE textures and OpenLC.

It includes a little bit more than "just lines".
Namely, landclasses depicting beaches, golf courses, parks and 'wetlands' as well as power lines.

@Shomron It's not perfect and can affect performance on your PC with everything enabled. However, with some appropriate selections, seeing realistic rivers and streams, coastlines and additional landclasses, even from airliner flights makes it worth buying in my opinion.

Just have to ensure that you disable all the Airport Elevation Corrections for scenery you own (a one-click solution with Run Auto-Configuration).

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

@PWJT8D, hahaha. I'm with you...

I purchased about 10 of their sceneries the last time it was on sale: global, vector, landclass, trees, three regions (pnw, no and so cal) and a bunch of airports.  As it turns out I probably don't need the global, vector and land class sceneries if the game plan is to focus on two or three regions only. In fact, I've not installed any of them.

However, the current sales are tempting me to buy at least three more airports in the three regions I'm interested in again. After all, the total price of everything is literally nothing compared to actually owning a real plane.  Still, the only thing that is holding me back is the new sceneries coming up (true earth) which might obsolete the current versions. If I knew there would be a discount or a pathway to upgrade at a reasonable price there would be no hesitancy on my part.

Another concern which makes the buying decision difficult, the new sceneries have a huge storage footprint. I read that the Washington sceneries alone requires 210 GB. Yes, that a letter 'g'. 210 gigabytes.

It looks like I'll have to make a decison between old vs new. Having choices and option thinking is all good. But then, there is this too:

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

@Shomron Part of the fun of this hobby *for some* is finding the answers to questions yourself and through the help of others. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few spend more time fiddling with the program settings and add-ons than in actually flying in the simulator itself.

A quote comes to mind: 'curiosity killed the cat'.  In this hobby, curiosity kills wallets. Hahaha.... Just saying.

• Like 2

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Is it possible to buy and use EGPB Sumburgh airport without using Scotland base package?

signCopy.jpg

On 5/1/2019 at 6:44 PM, F737NG said:

It includes a little bit more than "just lines".
Namely, landclasses depicting beaches, golf courses, parks and 'wetlands' as well as power lines.

@Shomron It's not perfect and can affect performance on your PC with everything enabled. However, with some appropriate selections, seeing realistic rivers and streams, coastlines and additional landclasses, even from airliner flights makes it worth buying in my opinion.

Just have to ensure that you disable all the Airport Elevation Corrections for scenery you own (a one-click solution with Run Auto-Configuration).

Thanks can vector be activated for only specific areas (where I don't have UTX installed)?

Shom

On 5/1/2019 at 11:26 PM, oneleg said:

@PWJT8D, hahaha. I'm with you...

I purchased about 10 of their sceneries the last time it was on sale: global, vector, landclass, trees, three regions (pnw, no and so cal) and a bunch of airports.  As it turns out I probably don't need the global, vector and land class sceneries if the game plan is to focus on two or three regions only. In fact, I've not installed any of them.

However, the current sales are tempting me to buy at least three more airports in the three regions I'm interested in again. After all, the total price of everything is literally nothing compared to actually owning a real plane.  Still, the only thing that is holding me back is the new sceneries coming up (true earth) which might obsolete the current versions. If I knew there would be a discount or a pathway to upgrade at a reasonable price there would be no hesitancy on my part.

Another concern which makes the buying decision difficult, the new sceneries have a huge storage footprint. I read that the Washington sceneries alone requires 210 GB. Yes, that a letter 'g'. 210 gigabytes.

It looks like I'll have to make a decison between old vs new. Having choices and option thinking is all good. But then, there is this too:

True earth is not that popular among many ORBX posters on their forums due to the FPS hit and there is a bit of a push to get OLC back on track which has taken a back seat to true earth

I would buy whatever it is you desire unless your a big TE fan

Edited by zmak

ZORAN