Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm always like "ehhh do I really need that scenery?" *hits back button*

"Oh a sale!?!? I need that scenery! Buy em all!!!"

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

Now that the ORBX sale is on 😁 I am thinking of getting Vector.

However I've seen many threads where people were raising issues related to elevation issues in 3rd party airports and also performance impact.

I am currently using UTX however it does not have the full coverage like ORBX does, BUT I do not feel it has impact performance-wise and it also does not conflict with 3rd party airports.

So... my main questions are -

1. Visually is ORBX superior?

2. How is ORBX performance when comparing to UTX? What main features would I mostly need to turn off in order to minimize the performance impact?

3. Can ALL ORBX elevation issues be solved by using the config tool and excluding specific airports or does this not guarantee error free sim experience?

 

Thanks for the info!

 

Shom

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm using ORBX since years only. I've an I7-4770K and an Nvidia 1080, it's working quite nice, but my system is becoming to old now.

Visually: It's way better than my old UTX.

Performance: not sure, how more you have, how bigger are the performance impacts.

Its working for me with my PC, your's is better, should work for you. And I'm using 100%AI also.

The most products are compatible now with ORBX, because is used by a lot of useres. You have to disable some files maybe, but that's easy (there is an compatibility forum).

Suggestion: Don't start with vector. Use FSGlobal Basepack first and then maybe the FTXTrees or the Turbulent Design Trees (Better in my opinion). That's the most important thing. After this I would start with openLC (maybe only for your main region where you are flying to test), and if you are happy with this, then get vector. And if you like everything together and you wan't to see more improvement use the Regions, these are more detailed, much more detailed. Really fantastic. But be careful with the Regions, the True Earth packages are really heavy in performance.

I've updated a lot of ADE's for airports, everyone with an screenshot. There you can see if you like the ORBX world. https://jcai.dk/author/urmel81/

 

Regards

Urmel

Edited by Urmel81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Shom.

1) I like ORBX better but there are so many videos out there so make the comparison. I switched from UTX years ago

2) The performance shouldn't be a problem if you can run UTX. There are two settings in Vector that will help when you experience a frame rate hit. Disabling traffic on certain roadtyps. And disabling very small roads. Can't  remember the exact name, something like 3rd type roads. But easy and simple to find in the vector options.

3) Never couldn't. Also Vector doesn't introduce any issues because it isn't a mesh. It does nothing to the elevation but comes with a tool that can be used to fix issues with other mesh products. I use it with pilots meshes and it is very good in my opinion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Urmel81 said:

I'm using ORBX since years only. I've an I7-4770K and an Nvidia 1080, it's working quite nice, but my system is becoming to old now.

Visually: It's way better than my old UTX.

Performance: not sure, how more you have, how bigger are the performance impacts.

Its working for me with my PC, your's is better, should work for you. And I'm using 100%AI also.

The most products are compatible now with ORBX, because is used by a lot of useres. You have to disable some files maybe, but that's easy (there is an compatibility forum).

Suggestion: Don't start with vector. Use FSGlobal Basepack first and then maybe the FTXTrees or the Turbulent Design Trees (Better in my opinion). That's the most important thing. After this I would start with openLC (maybe only for your main region where you are flying to test), and if you are happy with this, then get vector. And if you like everything together and you wan't to see more improvement use the Regions, these are more detailed, much more detailed. Really fantastic. But be careful with the Regions, the True Earth packages are really heavy in performance.

I've updated a lot of ADE's for airports, everyone with an screenshot. There you can see if you like the ORBX world. https://jcai.dk/author/urmel81/

 

Regards

Urmel

Thanks for the info forgot to mention I already use ORBX Global, LC & Trees 🙂

I will not go down to region level though since LC is visually enough for me (in conjunction with UTX/Vector)

5 minutes ago, Rasterfahnder said:

Hey Shom.

1) I like ORBX better but there are so many videos out there so make the comparison. I switched from UTX years ago

2) The performance shouldn't be a problem if you can run UTX. There are two settings in Vector that will help when you experience a frame rate hit. Disabling traffic on certain roadtyps. And disabling very small roads. Can't  remember the exact name, something like 3rd type roads. But easy and simple to find in the vector options.

3) Never couldn't. Also Vector doesn't introduce any issues because it isn't a mesh. It does nothing to the elevation but comes with a tool that can be used to fix issues with other mesh products. I use it with pilots meshes and it is very good in my opinion.

Thanks! I have traffic disabled anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rasterfahnder said:

Hey Shom.

1) I like ORBX better but there are so many videos out there so make the comparison. I switched from UTX years ago

2) The performance shouldn't be a problem if you can run UTX. There are two settings in Vector that will help when you experience a frame rate hit. Disabling traffic on certain roadtyps. And disabling very small roads. Can't  remember the exact name, something like 3rd type roads. But easy and simple to find in the vector options.

3) Never couldn't. Also Vector doesn't introduce any issues because it isn't a mesh. It does nothing to the elevation but comes with a tool that can be used to fix issues with other mesh products. I use it with pilots meshes and it is very good in my opinion.

Sorry this is wrong (point 3): There are conflicting Vector Files with some airports, because of that there is an option in the Vector Control Panel to deactivate some Elevation Files (it's working mostly automatic).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shomron There's a lot of customisation with Vector so you can disable things that might cause performance issues like night lighting, although it's become more optimised over the years.

There is the odd airport elevation issue, but there is a tool they include that you can use to exclude any airports that create problems for you, as others have said it's mostly automatic.

Do remember that Vector is just "lines" so roads, railways, rivers and coastlines. If you're not flying visually or along coasts you will get more benefit from Global BASE textures and OpenLC.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ckyliu said:

@Shomron There's a lot of customisation with Vector so you can disable things that might cause performance issues like night lighting, although it's become more optimised over the years.

There is the odd airport elevation issue, but there is a tool they include that you can use to exclude any airports that create problems for you, as others have said it's mostly automatic.

Do remember that Vector is just "lines" so roads, railways, rivers and coastlines. If you're not flying visually or along coasts you will get more benefit from Global BASE textures and OpenLC.

It includes a little bit more than "just lines".
Namely, landclasses depicting beaches, golf courses, parks and 'wetlands' as well as power lines.

@Shomron It's not perfect and can affect performance on your PC with everything enabled. However, with some appropriate selections, seeing realistic rivers and streams, coastlines and additional landclasses, even from airliner flights makes it worth buying in my opinion.

Just have to ensure that you disable all the Airport Elevation Corrections for scenery you own (a one-click solution with Run Auto-Configuration).
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PWJT8D, hahaha. I'm with you...

I purchased about 10 of their sceneries the last time it was on sale: global, vector, landclass, trees, three regions (pnw, no and so cal) and a bunch of airports.  As it turns out I probably don't need the global, vector and land class sceneries if the game plan is to focus on two or three regions only. In fact, I've not installed any of them.

However, the current sales are tempting me to buy at least three more airports in the three regions I'm interested in again. After all, the total price of everything is literally nothing compared to actually owning a real plane.  Still, the only thing that is holding me back is the new sceneries coming up (true earth) which might obsolete the current versions. If I knew there would be a discount or a pathway to upgrade at a reasonable price there would be no hesitancy on my part.

Another concern which makes the buying decision difficult, the new sceneries have a huge storage footprint. I read that the Washington sceneries alone requires 210 GB. Yes, that a letter 'g'. 210 gigabytes.

It looks like I'll have to make a decison between old vs new. Having choices and option thinking is all good. But then, there is this too:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shomron Part of the fun of this hobby *for some* is finding the answers to questions yourself and through the help of others. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few spend more time fiddling with the program settings and add-ons than in actually flying in the simulator itself.

A quote comes to mind: 'curiosity killed the cat'.  In this hobby, curiosity kills wallets. Hahaha.... Just saying.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to buy and use EGPB Sumburgh airport without using Scotland base package?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2019 at 6:44 PM, F737NG said:

It includes a little bit more than "just lines".
Namely, landclasses depicting beaches, golf courses, parks and 'wetlands' as well as power lines.

@Shomron It's not perfect and can affect performance on your PC with everything enabled. However, with some appropriate selections, seeing realistic rivers and streams, coastlines and additional landclasses, even from airliner flights makes it worth buying in my opinion.

Just have to ensure that you disable all the Airport Elevation Corrections for scenery you own (a one-click solution with Run Auto-Configuration).
 

Thanks can vector be activated for only specific areas (where I don't have UTX installed)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2019 at 11:26 PM, oneleg said:

@PWJT8D, hahaha. I'm with you...

I purchased about 10 of their sceneries the last time it was on sale: global, vector, landclass, trees, three regions (pnw, no and so cal) and a bunch of airports.  As it turns out I probably don't need the global, vector and land class sceneries if the game plan is to focus on two or three regions only. In fact, I've not installed any of them.

However, the current sales are tempting me to buy at least three more airports in the three regions I'm interested in again. After all, the total price of everything is literally nothing compared to actually owning a real plane.  Still, the only thing that is holding me back is the new sceneries coming up (true earth) which might obsolete the current versions. If I knew there would be a discount or a pathway to upgrade at a reasonable price there would be no hesitancy on my part.

Another concern which makes the buying decision difficult, the new sceneries have a huge storage footprint. I read that the Washington sceneries alone requires 210 GB. Yes, that a letter 'g'. 210 gigabytes.

It looks like I'll have to make a decison between old vs new. Having choices and option thinking is all good. But then, there is this too:

 

True earth is not that popular among many ORBX posters on their forums due to the FPS hit and there is a bit of a push to get OLC back on track which has taken a back seat to true earth

I would buy whatever it is you desire unless your a big TE fan

Edited by zmak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would prefer to buy TrueEarth GB Central for P3D v4 at full price rather than anything else in the ORBx catalogue at a 50% off sale price. In addition, OLC regions mean nothing to me. I see a certain degree of whinging about photoscenery regions taking up lots of hard drive space, but......so what? Just buy a bigger hard disk.

Edited by Christopher Low

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, FPS hits and disk space are temporary problems that go away after the price for technology improves, boredom sets in, and the upgrade and the curiosity bug starts rearing its head again. That's why we work anyway. For our games. Lol.

So far, I've bought three ORBX airports for FSX/P3D this time around. It's hard to resist those 50% discount.  I'll be checking out Xplane though, so I'm holding back a bit. The YouTube videos on Xplane look nice too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have taken advantage of their sale to get some real bargains. Bilbao, Innsbruck, Dubrovnik and Stockholm. All are compatible with just FTX Global. 👍

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Bilbao, Innsbruck, Dubrovnik and Stockholm

Great choice, Ray!
I have all of them, except Bilbao, and they are really great.
Especially Innsbruck - a work of art. In my opinion Jarrad Marshall is one of the 3 top scenery magicians whose work I simpy adore (the other two being Mir and Jo Erlend).

Enjoy your flights! 🙂

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always love the ORBX sales. I tend to pick up an airport or 3 when they come through. Picked up BZN, will most likely pick up Bonners Ferry and the Australia region too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only issue that I have with orbx is that there are to many destinations that I wish to fly.

Like, I have two hours, Helsinki to Stockholm, Cardiff, Southampton.. No maybe Dubronik (haven't flown there once). No Lowi 🤔 Or perhaps Visby or Kiruna.. 😓 1h Left, Wait I have tons of other stuff, maybe Fly tampa athens... 😂😂 30 Min Left, oh lets see the aircraft is .... 10min left, the weather on route is, oh, GSX is boarding. Oh the sim crashed lol..

 

Ended up with TE South and Southampton during this sale 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a few more from Orbx today. Having FlyTampa Sydney is a bit pointless unless you have other airports to fly to that won't take hours. So I bought the AUS pack for ground textures and Brisbane, Melbourne and Canberra airports. Great deal as the whole lot cost me around 44GBP. 👍👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I bought a few more from Orbx today. Having FlyTampa Sydney is a bit pointless unless you have other airports to fly to that won't take hours. So I bought the AUS pack for ground textures and Brisbane, Melbourne and Canberra airports. Great deal as the whole lot cost me around 44GBP. 👍👍

Careful with Brisy its super heavy so some adjustments to the panel may help. The other 2 are perfect. Good timing with OZ V2 not to far away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zmak said:

Careful with Brisy its super heavy so some adjustments to the panel may help. The other 2 are perfect. Good timing with OZ V2 not to far away

I’ve just followed a NZ777 (AIG model) into 19 and fps stayed in the 30s and higher. The one I need to sort out is Canberra as the AFCAD has no parking gates. Strange as the statics are medium so there should be some. Any 3rd party ones available?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...