Sign in to follow this  
thecanarian

Dual Installation

Hi,

I already have a FSX:SE installation on my server H: drive working well with SimConnect to my client PC with AS16 and other stuff. I have installed P3Dv4 on my server G: drive and a P3Dv4 version of AS16 on my client PC.

I already have all the required SimConnect files loaded on both PCs from the FSX SDK. However I have not yet run the simconnect installers that come with P3Dv4. Needles to say my client PC isn't on speaking terms (yet) with the P3Dv4 on the server. I'm reluctant to run the P3Dv4 installers in case it upsets the current FSX:SE configuration, but I think I'll have to soon.

Has anyone else come across this dilemma. Is it really necessary to run the P3Dv4 simconnect installers if they already exist on both the networked PCs. 

Hi,

there is no installer for a P3D V4 SimConnect Client. All functionality has been included in the libraries that a properly P3D V4 compliant addon has been built with. If you configure your FSX addons to communicate with P3D, they will use the FSX SimConnect client software that you have installed on your client computer, and that should be able to communicate with the SimConnect server in P3D too - just like it does with FSX. 

But you may get into trouble with the config files. Theoretically both sims can use the same configuration files (simconnect.cfg on the client and simconnect.xml on the server), but you will have to try if that really works or if you need two sets of config files on each computer that you rename as needed. You can set up multiple connector options in the ini files, using different ports, but I'm not sure that any addon will look beyond the first entry. 

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Hi,

When I ran the SimConnect installer files from P3Dv4 (G:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\redist\Interface\FSX-SP1\retail\lib …. plus the other two ...RTM and SP2-XPACK) it didn't seem to create a folder in my …/roaming/Microsoft/ folder is this correct ?

• Can anyone supply me with the full path names of the folders I need on my server ?
  • Did I use the correct installers ? 

I accept Lorby_SI 's point that the client simconnect files "should" work on the client but I'm not sure that my P3Dv4 installation is actually talking to SimConnect yet.

BINGO !

It helps to have the SimConnect.xml file in the correct fold3r  ie ...../roaming/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3d v4

4 hours ago, thecanarian said:

I ran the SimConnect installer files from P3Dv4 (G:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\redist\Interface\FSX-SP1\retail\lib …. plus the other two ...RTM and SP2-XPACK)

...and those are exactly the same files that you already had… there is no point in installing them again, there is no "special P3D V4 code" in them. If you don' t believe me, check the version numbers of the installers and the SimConnect.dlls that they provide. For example "<P3DV4>redist\Interface\FSX-SP2-XPACK\retail\lib\SimConnect.msi": Author: Microsoft Corporation, content created 26.09.2007...

These installers are only there if you have a situation where you never had any other sim besides P3D V4 and want to run an addon (locally or networked) that was compiled for an earlier version of the simulator (or for FSX). Only then would you install the appropriate SimConnect client. But there is no difference whatsoever if you use the original SimConnect.msi from your FSX Acceleration pack or the installer from the redist folder in P3D V4 - they are identical. 

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Agreed. It was me clutching at straws that drove me to run them, and it was the SimConnect.xml that was the missing piece of the puzzle.