Sign in to follow this  
Wise87

Is Orbx PNW worth the hassle?

I see Orbx has another sale going on. I own a lot of there stuff and was interested in picking up Pacific Northwest but hear it can be a pain to get working with T2G KSEA or DD Seattle Airports X / Seattle City. I read the numerous procedures and work-arounds on Orbx forums. Do these fixes really work or is the scenery worth the headache. I run FSGlobal Mesh 2018, and all the Orbx Global items installed. Is PNW better on performance than Southern California? 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

IF you like to fly in the Pacific Northwest... PNW is a no-brainer IMHO..

Performance is definitely better than SoCAL, mainly because there is less urban/suburban sprawl and fewer big airports in close proximity.

• Like 2

Bert

I think it's worth having if you fly props/turboprops in the region.  It was my first Orbx full-fat region, and at the time OpenLC NA and FTX Global didn't exist.

For tubeliners, performance is better with OpenLC and FTXGlobal, and that's what I use (together with UTX for vector scenery) since when doing that kind of flying I don't spend a lot of time down low admiring the view.

SoCal is not representative of their other regions...that area is the proverbial ten pounds of doo-doo in a five pound bag...just too much going on, particularly in the LAX area.

Regards

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

33 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

IF you like to fly in the Pacific Northwest... PNW is a no-brainer IMHO..

Performance is definitely better than SoCAL, mainly because there is less urban/suburban sprawl and fewer big airports in close proximity.

I have PNW and I like it very much. But in my case with having all ORBX airports in this area, performance is not so good with 4.5 compared to 4.4. Waiting for the P3D 4.5 hotfix and avoiding this area for now.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I have the DD Seattle/Seattle Airports X with Orbx PNW and they work just fine and I didnt have to do anything special.

Edited by Buffy Foster
  • Upvote 1

I have the freeware orbx PNW installed and it works fine, I never really understood what the paid version offers vs. the freeware version.  Any thoughts on that?

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS

Dan Moore, and all,

I have all the ORBX regions and their payware and free airports in PNW and don't know what issues you refer to, even while using P3D v4.5.

No problems here aside from some missing trees in 11S. It is well worth having and the best reason to use P3D.

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Dan Moore, and all,

I have all the ORBX regions and their payware and free airports in PNW and don't know what issues you refer to, even while using P3D v4.5.

No problems here aside from some missing trees in 11S. It is well worth having and the best reason to use P3D.

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

ORBX Southern California is a bit of a hard nut to chew though...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Oldish but still Nice. Tryout FSDT CYVR or KSEA to SQUAMISH. 

Michael Moe 

Miss the old freeware airport in the trees at the lake north east of CYVR though. 

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I have the PNW with those airports you mentioned and I have/nor have had any issues, they integrate as if they were part of the package.

Steve

• Like 1

steve southey

1 hour ago, jalbino59 said:

I have the freeware orbx PNW installed and it works fine, I never really understood what the paid version offers vs. the freeware version.  Any thoughts on that?

I assume you have the Demo Version of PNW?   I'm assuming that the full paid PNW version have a lot more territory to explore. Why else would ORBX offer a complete full demo for free...no?  

T2G KSEA works great with PNW for me.

• Like 1

Matt Wilson

41 minutes ago, egguzman said:

I assume you have the Demo Version of PNW?   I'm assuming that the full paid PNW version have a lot more territory to explore. Why else would ORBX offer a complete full demo for free...no?  

ok thanks

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS

3 hours ago, jalbino59 said:

Confirmed... the demo version only has the Olympic peninsula, west of Seattle... small area compared to PNW payware version.

Bert