Sign in to follow this  
Wise87

Is Orbx PNW worth the hassle?

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

Confirmed... the demo version only has the Olympic peninsula, west of Seattle... small area compared to PNW payware version.

That makes sense, thanks.

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS

3 hours ago, UAL4life said:

“Is Orbx PNW worth the hassle?” Yes it has seasons. 

+1 seasons is something the US TE will not have when they come that's why I in the UK have not purchased TE UK, and at the moment you have to disable ORBX England and wales to run TE this then leaves the rest of the UK running on OLC, I am happy with my US regions.

• Like 3

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I would prefer seeing some new FTX regions and updates/enhancements of existing ones. True Earth is currently not for me: Too slow loading, too much performance issues, too much disk space, no seasons. But it looks like that ORBX has stopped developing FTX regions. The last we may get is a long time announced update of FTX Australia.

• Like 3

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

4 hours ago, rjfry said:

+1 seasons is something the US TE will not have when they come that's why I in the UK have not purchased TE UK, and at the moment you have to disable ORBX England and wales to run TE this then leaves the rest of the UK running on OLC, I am happy with my US regions.

Raymond, I didn't know that.

There is no excuse really as I can read as good as anyone else. Should have thought it through. I am at midpoint of a 24+ hour downloading of RE Southern Great Britain. I have RE Netherlands that seemed to work adequately, and looks fine, so I assumed it would be the same. To not be able to run TE GB and the rest of the Britain together makes me seriously regret going the True Earth route. Still some 12+ or - time to go in downloading the 42g before I find out the compromises I will have to make.

Thank you Ray for the information..

4 hours ago, Nemo said:

I would prefer seeing some new FTX regions and updates/enhancements of existing ones. True Earth is currently not for me: Too slow loading, too much performance issues, too much disk space, no seasons. But it looks like that ORBX has stopped developing FTX regions. The last we may get is a long time announced update of FTX Australia.

Harry, I agree,

Well all things eventually have to come to an end and they have moved outside my cockpit so to speak if they abandon the FTX world I spent thousands upon over a decade.

Would like to see an updated Australian and New Zealand FTX region, but we will see what we will see, or not... :smile:

Thank you Sir!

Kindest regards,

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

PNW was the pinnacle of Orbx products. Everything since then has been some level of not as good. If I had to recommend only one product it would be PNW. I wish they would release it and their other PNW airports for XP11 instead of all of these other obscure products they have been putting out for the past year...

Asus X570 TUF WIFI | 5800X3D | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | MSI RTX 4090 | EVGA 1300W | ASUS GT501 TUF | Samsung C49RG90 49" | Oculus Quest 2 | Windows 11 Professional X64

That is the problem I have TE Netherlands no problem it`s on top of OLC, the TE UK if like me you have EU England Wales and Scotland you are putting a full fat region on top of another, and at the moment they only have TE south UK fly north and you leave TE UK, and as I don't fly round in circles in one area but across the EU or US and have my P3D running on my PC time and date in the winter leaving Europe in winter and arrive in sunny Heathrow. as you can tell I'm not a GA flyer, don't get me wrong ORBX has the right to develop what ever they like and I will buy OLC when more is released.

I was hopping they would do some regions in the US east coast but by look of things that's not going to happen now.    

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

Follow-up on my Orbx PNW install. Following the compatibility steps on the Orbx site I have PNW installed.  I did have a few issues with DD Seattle Airports KRNT with trees and buildings on the runway. I also use  T2G Seattle Airport as I alike the look of it over the DD version. I do notice some slight morphing in the area but it is not too bad. Any suggest on how to fine tune this or is this normal?

My next question is, we all know how KSEA Airport  (Default or T2G) has that slight pause when departing north as it loads downtown Seattle. I was wondering if installing DD Seattle City X fixes this problem or makes it worse. 

Again I run FSGlobal Mesh 2018, and all the Orbx Global items. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

It's 50% off in May.  

Cheers

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

On 5/3/2019 at 8:41 AM, rjfry said:

and at the moment you have to disable ORBX England and wales to run TE

Raymond,

You don't have to disable any of the ORBX regions, and I'm having no problems with England, Wales, and TE-GBS all activated. The only obvious disturbance is a change in the colour saturation between TE-GBS and the ORBX regions. In fact, if you have the regions installed, the FTX Control Panel for TE-GBS has options to disable England tidal photoreal and  Wales tidal photoreal, as indicated in the following quotation from page 6 of the user manual:

"The Control Panel will enable you to disable or enable the tidal photoreal areas installed with the England and Wales Regions. We recommend checking the selection boxes so as to disable the photoreal installed with Regions."

Dugald

• Upvote 1

So ORBX own advise is wrong to users of UK regions from a performance standpoint.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:19 PM, SpiritFlyer said:

ORBX Southern California is a bit of a hard nut to chew though...

Have you lowered your settings and deleted your shaders?  I don't have any issues, I get 287 fps into  klax with the pmdg 737 at night I'd post a video but I can't at the minute.

You've got a cat you say?? Ah thats nice, I've got a Peruvian tiger. 

Best wishes to all 

🤗

Edited by tooting
  • Like 2

14ppkc-6.png

8 minutes ago, tooting said:

Have you lowered your settings and deleted your shaders?  I don't have any issues, I get 287 fps into  klax with the pmdg 737 at night I'd post a video but I can't at the minute.

Best wishes to all 

🤗

LOL!

Raymond,

I haven't seen the advice you are referring to. In a thread on the ORBX forum, ORBX Team Member Nick Cooper says that if you have the regions, it makes sense to leave them in place, though from the rest of the thread I'm not sure whether he's talking about keeping them activated. The thread is actually about memory usage, and one of the other ORBX team members deactivates the regions to save some RAM. However, I personally find no disadvantage at all with the England and Wales regions activated (nor do I see any obvious difference between having the tidal photoreal areas enabled and disabling them).

Dugald

31 minutes ago, tooting said:

Best wishes to all 

🤗

Not sure how or even whether to answer as I have no clue how to do so, so I won't. :cool: