Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Flight down in Jacksonville river

Overran the runway, all pax safe, coming in from Guantanamo

Edited by Jim Young
Link removed as it leads to massive advertising with apparently no way to stop it.
  • Like 1

Glad that everyone survived and no serious injuries.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Just read that 4 pets in the cargo hold are presumed dead.  Rescurers looked in the hold which was full of water so not much hope.  Sad thing.

Jim

Aww.. sad indeed. The owners will be distraught too.  :sendu: Unfortunately you can't put cargo in the overhead bins. I wonder if this will create an upsurge in requests to have pets travelling in the cabin?

Similarly, on a freighter, only a portable oxygen bottle and mask are provided should the crew need to visit the main hold to carry out checks. In case of de-pressurisation; it's game over for any livestock or pets..

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Anyone know what runway was used at Jacksonville for this landing?  I've tried to replicate the flight there from Cuba and I was wondering which runway was used.  All GPS runways, and no ILS.

Stan

5 hours ago, spilok said:

Anyone know what runway was used at Jacksonville for this landing?  I've tried to replicate the flight there from Cuba and I was wondering which runway was used.  All GPS runways, and no ILS.

Stan

Stan that would be Rwy 9*, as it is the only one that ends directly into the water and is the longest at 9,300'.

*NB: it is now Rwy 10 on the latest airport diagram

DoiWQ.png

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KNIP

https://www.airports-worldwide.com/usa/florida/jacksonville_naval_air_station_towers_field_florida.htm

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thank you. Appreciate your comprehensive answer

stan

I read in one of the newspapers that the crash was caused by "the failure of a landing feature". The problem was that the thrust reversers wouldn't activate. I just had to chuckle at the term "landing feature"..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

On the news this morning they said there was a last minute runway change to the shorter runway, which also included a tail wind component which may have contributed to the crash. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

That certainly would not have helped matters - 2300 little reasons why - almost half a mile less.:sad:

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

2 hours ago, HighBypass said:

That certainly would not have helped matters - 2300 little reasons why - almost half a mile less.:sad:

Doesn't appear to be any instrument approach procedure for that runway either. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

5 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

On the news this morning they said there was a last minute runway change to the shorter runway, which also included a tail wind component which may have contributed to the crash. 

From the information leaking out, it was definitely RW 10 that was attempted. 15 kt tail wind. Looks like they landed "high and hot", touched down way past the LZ, bounced a few times, and couldn't stop within the runway left. I have read that one reverse thruster was unavailable and they attempted to land flaps 30 on a wet runway. And as was posted earlier, no ILS. don't know what the WX was at the time except for the tail wind. It is looking like just a terrible bit of flying. It will be tough to blame this one on Boeing.

Thank God no passengers dead or badly hurt, just 4 dogs. We have dogs, love dogs, but would never trust them to any airline, much less this pseudo airline. Heart breaking.

Edited by Wink207

So... should they have told the tower no way they were taking the shorter runway? Go missed etc.

Mark Robinson

3 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

So... should they have told the tower no way they were taking the shorter runway? Go missed etc.

Dunno. But there is no way the shorter runway would have been legal for this aircraft.