Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

4.5. vs 4.0

I’ve been reluctant so far to move to v4. I fly A2A kind of aircraft in OrbX scenery for short flights and OOM are not a problem. The benefit/cost of moving v3 to a 64-bit version was not obvious to me . But...

But most of the new tempting addons are for v4 now and it seems that, over the updates you guys helped to troubleshoot 😉, v4 has improved a bit.

Am I right, is 4.5 much better than 4.0 was for a flyer like me ? Which new features make a difference ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Yes, go to 4.5. There are some smaller issues with 4,5 and a fix is on it´s way. So, if you want to get started, install 4.4 and upgrade to 4.5 later.

Jack 

the swede in Spain

• Like 1

Hey Jack

why should I do that ? Whats better now than in 4.0 ?

PS I know about the incoming hotfix

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, domkle said:

Hey Jack

why should I do that ? Whats better now than in 4.0 ?

PS I know about the incoming hotfix

Do what you want. But except some special addons like Hifi, GTN, which needed a short time, all other scenery addons were compatible with each 4.X immediately.. Since 4.4 we have PBR which is a nice step forward.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Why not read on the LM Homepage and look what´s updated from v4.0 through all versions up to 4.5 and make up your own mind if it´s wort it or not. 

There must be some reason why LM releases new versions/updates and people install them

Jack

Edited by JJJackson

Been using 3.4 since it came out. No OOMs and everything works flawlessly flying NGX and Q400. No reason to switch that I can see. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 hours ago, domkle said:

I’ve been reluctant so far to move to v4. I fly A2A kind of aircraft in OrbX scenery for short flights and OOM are not a problem. The benefit/cost of moving v3 to a 64-bit version was not obvious to me . But...

But most of the new tempting addons are for v4 now and it seems that, over the updates you guys helped to troubleshoot 😉, v4 has improved a bit.

Am I right, is 4.5 much better than 4.0 was for a flyer like me ? Which new features make a difference ?

Given that you appear to be hesitant to move and have waited 2 years to ask this question, your best bet is probably to wait about a year (or maybe less, complete guess on my part) for Prepar3d v5.

There are many good reasons to move to v4.x and plenty of $$$ reasons to remain on v3.

As you can see on this thread, everyone here has made their own personal cost-benefit analysis to move or not.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Thanks for a few hints but I think I am gonna give up this thread .

I don't ask advice about what to do. I asked a simple question, presumably easy to understand. Is 4.5 substantially better than  4.0.. In your own eyes.  Prettier, smoothier, more functional etc.   Or just the same, just cleaned up.

Dominique

22 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Been using 3.4 since it came out. No OOMs and everything works flawlessly flying NGX and Q400. No reason to switch that I can see. 

I've had no OOM's with 4.x, upgraded to 4.5 smoothly.  I did not have 3.x so I cannot comment well on what you might be missing, but I can say most who have upgraded, if not all who have commented since 4.x came out, were happy they did (minus the cost of course, lol). 

I do not have the NGX or Q400, but all my add-ons I do have work quite well, I have a mix of photoscenery, Alabeo and Carenado add-ons, a couple of JustFlight ultralights, and QualityWings 787 which I am still learning how to start up, but I like the product a lot for the VC especially and exterior visuals, plus the livery support.  Lockheed Martin has been great about support and periodic upgrades every couple of months or so.  I have heard of some issues with 4.5 but I have not run into any myself, and I've never had an OOM in P3D, unlike FSX which would from time to time balk at my photoscenery but that was my old system which lost access to 4Gigs of Ram when a lightning strike hit my home (and also blew out my power supply in that system, which I replaced with a better one anyway).  Only reason I lost that system was when Windows dropped support for Vista, my computer tried to upgrade anyway and got in an endless loop--wish I had a backup DVD to fix the O/S but Windows would have still tried to upgrade, one thing I hate about Windows is not being able to disable autoupgrade, but that is off topic.

One good thing in 4.5 is the autogen trees look much better now, great for bush flying although in your case if you prefer the bigger airliners, bush flying may not be your bag of tea.  Also, night textures (I just posted some screenshots), look much better and much more realistic, and display in the distance better than Xplane11 which I also have.

I see no stutters except for the odd photoscenery load, and that is only if I have other file activity going on, such as a web download.  Panning is a dream, and the sensation of speed from down low to the flight levels is quite good, as 3.4 may also be for you.

John

• Like 1

Just now, domkle said:

I don't ask advice about what to do. I asked a simple question, presumably easy to understand. Is 4.5 substantially better than  4.0.. In your own eyes.  Prettier, smoothier, more functional etc.   Or just the same, just cleaned up.

One thing that was fixed from 4.4 on up, or maybe 4.3, was in flight recording, which used to stutter after about ten minutes or so in flight on playback.  You have probably already seen my other comments, my advice would be to upgrade--it is free, just remember to uninstall client, content and scenery first, then reinstall after the upgrade in that order.  Some suggest clearing out the shader cash, I did not have to do that and never have.

John

2 hours ago, domkle said:

4.5 is substantially better then 4.0,  IMO 4.4 was a substantial update over 4.3.  Why would you choose 4.0 over 4.5?

Matt Wilson

Hi,

I startet with 4.1 wich was impressiv to the FSX for me. But there where sometimes CTD and other crashes, not much but once a week.

After I change to 4.4 i can say P3D is the stabelst software on my PC - no issus from the beginning of this year.

Stephan from Germany

My System