Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Sorry P3d... you're boring me.

As a Viet Vet combat Sims just don't appeal to me nor can combat even remotely be simulated. Reminds me too much of privately grieving for families I didn't know who were back in the States not knowing the terrible news coming their way.

Not being judgemental, just personal preference.

• Like 7

Vic green

5 hours ago, GCBraun said:

I use Pilot2ATC both on XP11 and P3D, plus World Traffic 3/UT Live. Problem solved...

Do you really fly with default ATC and Traffic in P3D??

I have been using Radar Contact since version 3. I have used UT, UT2, and UT Live in the past , but now I use AIG OCI for Airline and UTL for GA. 

Is World Traffic 3 as good (complete) as UT Live? I know very little about World Traffic 3 (version 1 did not impress very many from what I remember). I will check it out. 

Radar Contact is excellent ATC w/o any hassle and less than 30 seconds of preflight. P2ATC involves way too many settings and includes many things I already have. My understanding is It requires voice interaction and TTS voices that can get expensive if one wants variety.  Plus its still fixing TOD calculations (over and over) in this latest version.

I want to fly frustration/hassle free, and I do, with what I have, in P3D 4.5 :smile:

37 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

As a Viet Vet combat Sims just don't appeal to me nor can combat even remotely be simulated. Reminds me too much of privately grieving for families I didn't know who were back in the States not knowing the terrible news coming their way.

Not being judgemental, just personal preference.

I agree Vic,

I know real violence in real life too, its not appealing to me either. I would much rather key in FMS wind data than shoot at even simulated objects/people.

Hopefully GA and airline career options/add-ons will sprout for P3D to help Howard have more of a sense of purpose. I'm unsure if Air Hauler 2, FS Captain, or a Virtual Airline would fill the need/gap. 

• Like 2

Hi Howard,

im in the same boat. All about DCS with me for the time being. P3d hasn’t been fired up in quite a while. The hornet started it, the enemy within 3.0 campaign for the a10c continued it and now the tomcat has clinched it. Along with the Persian gulf and Nevada maps. Also picked up the harrier myself so I can load some gr7 / gr9 skins onto it. 

The flight dynamics are fabulous and all at 60 fps with really high graphic settings.

I'd just like to add that I think DCS is more about the flying and the aircraft than about the scenery, which P3D seems to be bogged down in. As for the combat side of it, I'm not into it at all but to confuse it with real life war is a mistake. Do vets of all conflicts get upset by Battlefield and World at War etc? Maybe.

The original post was about how 'P3D 'don' hack it no mo', rather than DCS is the......blah blah blah

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

4 hours ago, John_Cillis said:

I'll have to invest in a new HD so I can enjoy DCS.....  Wings of Prey I like as well....

whats a HD ?

ZORAN

1 minute ago, zmak said:

whats a HD ?

Take no notice, he's a Luddite.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

3 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Take no notice, he's a Luddite.

Had to look that word up. Lol 

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

3 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

I'd just like to add that I think DCS is more about the flying and the aircraft than about the scenery, which P3D seems to be bogged down in. As for the combat side of it, I'm not into it at all but to confuse it with real life war is a mistake. Do vets of all conflicts get upset by Battlefield and World at War etc? Maybe.

The original post was about how 'P3D 'don' hack it no mo', rather than DCS is the......blah blah blah

A basic question then; how does one do a RTW race in DCS? Not possible right, because DCS does not have the scenery to do a round the world race.

Scenery is a good thing to be bogged down in, we have a whole planet that needs to be simulated. Who wants to fly only in the middle east desert all the time?... not me. 

P3D does hack it, if you're trying to do a RTW race, or fly an inter-continental flight in an excellent simulation of a 748, or Island hop anywhere in the world...

Also, I don't get the impression that Vic is confused about real life war and a simulation.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, pracines said:

A basic question then; how does one do a RTW race in DCS? Not possible right, because DCS does not have the scenery to do a round the world race.

Scenery is a good thing to be bogged down in, we have a whole planet that needs to be simulated. Who wants to fly only in the middle east desert all the time?... not me. 

P3D does hack it, if you're trying to do a RTW race, or fly an inter-continental flight in an excellent simulation of a 748, or Island hop anywhere in the world...

Also, I don't get the impression that Vic is confused about real life war and a simulation.

Why would anyone even contemplate RTW in a combat sim?  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

ZORAN

@RockLiffe, I feel your pain... but in my case it's an even longer relationship with sims... More than 25 yrs I guess...

I dropped pretty much every thing and that includes DCS, and strangely have adopted yet another combat flight simulator as my "flight simulation reference" because IMO it outperforms  DCS in the chapter I am more concerned with - the "feel of flight"...

IL-2 IMO has 2nd to none flight dynamics, is also very very immersive, more than DCS was because I don't like modern fighters, and has an astounding performance, and continuous support and development, like I do not see in any civil flight simulation. In my old i5 2500, which also runs P3D, DCS and X-Plane acceptably provided I am parsimonious with my graphics / scenery settings, IL-2 runs at 60 FPS with high settings, and provides the most satisfying rendering of the "World".

I actually use P3D from time to time, but just as a visuals generator for ELITE XTS, still my Go-To IFR "study sim", pretty much as I used X-Plane as a visuals generator for Aerowinx PSX.

My patience to play "airliner stuff" has long gone and honestly nothing ever came even close to what PSX provided me, but I got tired with so much detail and sophistication when in good truth Flying is not what I do for a living - would rather prefer to feel the interest in becoming proficient in the areas I work in IRL, but unfortunately they don't move me as much as Aviation ever did 😕

I am looking forward for the release of the "Bush Flight Simulator" because it looks promising.

All I can suggest is that, should you be willing to give it a try, you should probably try IL-2 Great Battles too. But if you're fine with DCS, and own that UH-1H, then you have the best helicopter flight dynamics I have tried among all PC-based sims I have used so far - I never tried the AEFS2 R-22 though, and some say it's really good too ( ? )

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

@RockLiffe, I feel your pain... but in my case it's an even longer relationship with sims... More than 25 yrs I guess...

I dropped pretty much every thing and that includes DCS, and strangely have adopted yet another combat flight simulator as my "flight simulation reference" because IMO it overdoes DCS in the chapter I am more concerned with - the "feel of flight"...

IL-2 IMO has 2nd to none flight dynamics, is also very very immersive, more than DCS was because I don't lie modern fighters, and has an astounding performance, and continuous support and development, like I do not see in any civil flight simulation.

I actually use P3D from time to time, but just as a visuals generator for ELITE XTS, still my Go-To IFR "study sim", pretty much as I used X-Plane as a visuals generator for PSX.

My patience to play "airliner stuff" has long gone and honestly nothing ever came even close to what PSX provided me, but I got tired with so much detail and sophistication when in good truth Flying is not what I do for a living - would rather prefer to feel the interest in becoming proficient in the areas I work in IRL, but unfortunately they don't move me as much as Aviation ever did :-/

I am looking forward for the release of the "Bush Flight Simulator" because it looks promising.

All I can suggest is that, should you be willing to give it a try, you should probably try IL-2 Great Battles too. But if you're fine with DCS, and own that UH-1H, then you have the best helicopter flight dynamics I have tried among all PC-based sims I have used so far - I never tried the AEFS2 R-22 though, and some say it's really good too ( ? )

25 years...wow! Although I remember dipping my foot into FSX round about 1998, but got tired of it all pretty quickly. It was only seeing Orbx scenery in 2008 that reignited an interest in simming. Thanks for the advice about IL-2 Great Battles. Sounds interesting. 

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

27 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Although I remember dipping my foot into FSX round about 1998, but got tired of it all pretty quickly.

1998? FSX didn’t launch until Oct 2006.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

I dropped pretty much every thing and that includes DCS, and strangely have adopted yet another combat flight simulator as my "flight simulation reference" because IMO it outperforms  DCS in the chapter I am more concerned with - the "feel of flight"...

IL-2 IMO has 2nd to none flight dynamics, is also very very immersive, more than DCS was because I don't like modern fighters, and has an astounding performance, and continuous support and development, like I do not see in any civil flight simulation. In my old i5 2500, which also runs P3D, DCS and X-Plane acceptably provided I am parsimonious with my graphics / scenery settings, IL-2 runs at 60 FPS with high settings, and provides the most satisfying rendering of the "World".

I actually use P3D from time to time, but just as a visuals generator for ELITE XTS, still my Go-To IFR "study sim", pretty much as I used X-Plane as a visuals generator for Aerowinx PSX.

My patience to play "airliner stuff" has long gone and honestly nothing ever came even close to what PSX provided me, but I got tired with so much detail and sophistication when in good truth Flying is not what I do for a living - would rather prefer to feel the interest in becoming proficient in the areas I work in IRL, but unfortunately they don't move me as much as Aviation ever did 😕

IL2 looks like point and shoot? more of game but that can be fun to kill and hour

ZORAN

16 minutes ago, zmak said:

IL2 looks like point and shoot? more of game but that can be fun to kill and hour

Pretty much all Combat Flightsiming is a bit of that... and compared to DCS, IL-2 doesn't even have the sometimes  emphasized "clickable-cockpits"... something some of it's users keep complaining about, but while the detail in having to manage all of the aircraft systems is inferior to that of DCS in that you do not actually interact yourself with the all of those systems like you can in DCS, that doesn't mean they aren't simulated, and the "virtual pilot" actually does it for you.

You can enter Multiplayer dogfight or cooperative missions, or fly single-player missions, career and campaigns, but most of it is really not my beach, and I can't play it at all. My use of this sim is mostly of the - get in, login into furball, dogfight, leave... Or I simply load an aircraft and fly around or perform some aerobatics... It's strange how / why I haven't dropped it long ago, after the initial hype, because I keep saying to myself I don't like war games, air combat or the like... but I end up playing it sometimes addictively 🙂

I believe what really attracts me is the "feel of being there" that IL2 brings. The fact that I find the aircraft are modeled quite convincingly is also a strong point in favor of IL-2.

Edited by jcomm
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...