vgbaron

Environment Force Discussion Thread

Posted (edited)

After a couple one hour GA flights I am pretty impressed.  You still definitely need PTA or Envshade to make the sim look realistic.  I use Envshade and EF set to auto.  No settings to worry about and they work well together adapting to the environment without tweaking it at all.  I think most were expecting more in terms of exciting visuals myself included.  At first I was disappointed flying at my home airport with dark, gloomy, and overcast weather.  Just seemed very dull and lifeless.  I then looked outside my window and was pleasantly surprised by what I saw.  It was an almost perfect representation of what was being rendered in the sim.  The lighting, cloud color, visibility, and atmosphere in general was very well represented. I think it is well worth the price.  

Edited by mpw8679
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

4 hours ago, Daedalus said:

Before jumping into conclusions it's wise to experiment for some hours/days after a release. A first impression can be bad due to a number of reasons, including wrong settings. In my case I installed EF in a default P3D shader configuration. What I noticed instantly was that the bloom was too high and colors too bright and washed out. However, instead of running here and screaming "don't buy this product !!!!!" I thought this can't be what it is supposed to do. Spending some time playing with the settings, I realized that EF has its own HDR. Reading the manual, the HDR option is clear in the settings description: "Turn OFF HDR: This section must remain on when HDR is turned on in the simulator.". 

So guys, even if you use the "Auto" option doesn't mean you shouldn't read the manual. You can have either P3D's HDR or EF's HDR, but not both, or you'll get a mess. Using one of the two will result in normal bloom and brightness. 

We seem to have quite a different understanding on their wording.

The way I understand this is: if you have HDR on in the simulator, you must keep the HDR on in EF as well, and not the other way around.

What do you guys use? P3D HDR or EF HDR? Cause I tried turning off P3D HDR and everything looked dull.

• Upvote 1

I just hope the patch is release tomorrow or later today . 

Posted (edited)

I can confirm, if you turn off P3D's HDR, HDR will be completely disabled.

Try turning off P3D HDR, and adjusting HDR settings in their mini UI, there would be no effects whatsoever.

I changed my P3D settings to low [0.5 / 0.0 / 0.5] and handle the tweaking on EF's mini UI. I finally got rid of the excessive bloom.

Edited by jmrtlara

Do the live shaders work in VR?

Thanks in advance

Posted (edited)

Am I right with the following assumption?

For a complete visual environment improvement with weather implementation we need currently: Environment Force + Sky Force 3D + Active Sky for P3D (or any other weather engine) -

Active Sky Cloud Art + TOGA EnvTex are not "needed" anymore?

Edited by Nemo

Anyone ( Tim, Reed ) knows if using Automation on 2 different pc’s will lead to the same look ( same Dynamic settings ) ?

And do I have to buy 2x EF or can I install it on both pc’s in the network ?

For my WidevieW setup I have to use FSGRW instead of another weather engine as that is currently the only that is able to sync clouds over the network.

Thanks,

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Nemo said:

For a complete visual environment improvement with weather implementation we need currently: Environment Force + Sky Force 3D + Active Sky for P3D (or any other weather engine) -

That's a question I'm interestedt too. The next question is: Will you get better results when using SkyForce over ASCA or ENVTEX?

And what about the combination of ActiveSky + ASCA? Do we no longer need this package for dynamical weather or cloud changes?

Patric

Edited by pscharff

3 hours ago, glider1 said:

Do the live shaders work in VR?

Thanks in advance

For me they do.

• Like 1

Nyxx 

Where are you ?

xxd09

• Upvote 1

If I fly in real time with real weather and have no desire for tweaking shaders and I already use Active Sky, Sky Force and Envshade, what exactly will I get with EF? What exactly will be different, how will I see EF in action? Seriously, I asked this question quite a few times and sadly I still didn't get a straight answer. I will buy it but I kinda have to know what it does, right?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

If I fly in real time with real weather and have no desire for tweaking shaders and I already use Active Sky, Sky Force and Envshade, what exactly will I get with EF? What exactly will be different, how will I see EF in action? Seriously, I asked this question quite a few times and sadly I still didn't get a straight answer. I will buy it but I kinda have to know what it does, right?

That's easy:

Before Environment Force: you had to install your clouds, sky textures, ... before, Active sky and other are using only the installed ones (even Sky Force). Remember: You have to install an texture set before you start P3D (maybe you installed it only once)

With Environment Force: things will be installed when P3D is running (like Sky, Clouds), If you start in when it's raining it's darker (sky, clouds, ...) and maybe when you'll land it's more sunny (everything is looking differen - brighter), that wasn't possible before. The textures will be installed when P3D is running. And much more.

Really nice, I'm testing. It will not work (nothing will work) from beginning 100%, you have to learn how to use everything together (and the developers have to get the user experience to become the product better)

Regards

Urmel

Edited by Urmel81
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Environment Force looks quite nice at the moment, I'm on a flight from SCEL to the new SEQM Quito.

The only thing I've to learn is how to use Tomatoshade togeter with EV and the HDR Feature.

HDR on in P3D and on in EV, everything is too bright for me. I made some test's and decided to turn it off in EV (but the manual says it need's to be on when P3D HDR is on?), and now it's looking better, not so bright. Not sure if this is supposed to be in this way. And I think I have to much haze, not sure about the settings for this.

Be patient guys, we need to learn how to use it and the REX Guys need to learn from the users about the experiences. And don't say after 24hours: Don't buy!!! - be patient.

Regards

Urmel

Edited by Urmel81
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Urmel81 said:
15 minutes ago, Urmel81 said:

With Environment Force: things will be installed when P3D is running (like Sky, Clouds), If you start in when it's raining it's darker (sky, clouds, ...) and maybe when you'll land it's more sunny (everything is looking differen - brighter), that wasn't possible before. The textures will be installed when P3D is running. And much more.

Ok... WOW! So EF will be injecting sky, clouds, water,... textures literally on the fly from Sky Force even if I'm using AS for weather depiction? So, it's like ASCA but much more? Ok, I'm sold!

Edited by 0Artur0
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nemo said:

May I repeat my question/assumption? Would be nice if any EF user could answer it. Thanks

4 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

Ok... WOW! So EF will be injecting sky, clouds, water,... textures literally on the fly from Sky Force even if I'm using AS for weather depiction? So, it's like ASCA but much more? Ok, I'm sold!

That's what I understand. Maybe you read the REX homepage, you'll get better information.

But for me: I like it., but I need to learn how to use it with everything together.

3 minutes ago, Nemo said:

May I repeat my question/assumption? Would be nice if any EF user could answer it. Thanks

I don't think you should use Cloud Art together with Skyforce, It's the same. (ok, Skyforce is also an weahter engine - but I disabled it - AS is better)

It will becoming for me: Active Sky + EV + Sky Force + Envtex + Tomatoshade

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Nemo said:

Yes you are right; it's now my combination of choice. It offers a complete visual environment improvement. (Unless one would prefer ASCA textures, then their full dynamic theme would offer the same dynamic changing of weather by injecting textures and cloud structures based upon weather data. But then you would still need to manually edit your shaders, with Envshade or any other shader tool, and these would then be static).

SF/EF is an alternative for ASCA's full dynamics theme with the added bonus of dynamic shaders. Because I like the REX SF textures and structures better then the ones in ASCA EF is the ideal tool for me now.

Edited by Rimshot

14 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

EF injects cloud and sky textures based upon AS weather data. It does not inject water textures, but it manipulates the look of the already installed water textures (default or third party) with shader technology that is injected dynamically based on AS weather data.

But why some still use Envshade if EF takes care of shaders too?

Just now, 0Artur0 said:

But why some still use Envshade if EF takes care of shaders too?

As I see it this will give EF a different base to work with.

Posted (edited)

I've installed P3Dv4 from scratch a few days ago.

Now I've installed AS+SkyForce+EF without ENVSHADE. I'm a former user of ASCA+ENVTEX+ENVSHADE.

So I will see what the new combo brings into the sim... 😉

Patric

Edited by pscharff

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Urmel81 said:

Environment Force looks quite nice at the moment, I'm on a flight from SCEL to the new SEQM Quito.

The only thing I've to learn is how to use Tomatoshade togeter with EV and the HDR Feature.

HDR on in P3D and on in EV, everything is too bright for me. I made some test's and decided to turn it off in EV (but the manual says it need's to be on when P3D HDR is on?), and now it's looking better, not so bright. Not sure if this is supposed to be in this way. And I think I have to much haze, not sure about the settings for this.

Be patient guys, we need to learn how to use it and the REX Guys need to learn from the users about the experiences. And don't say after 24hours: Don't buy!!! - be patient.

Regards

Urmel

I had this problem also.

I just lowered all the relevant HDR settings in the in-sim GUI.

BloomThreshold 2.70
BloomdMagnitude 0.770
BloomBlurSigma 0.725
TimeDelta (unchanged)
AdaptionScalar (unchanged)
SaturationScalar 1.060
ExposureKey 0.275

Edited by jmrtlara
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

Yes you are right; it's now my combination of choice. It offers a complete visual environment improvement. (Unless one would prefer ASCA textures, then their full dynamic theme would offer the same dynamic changing of weather by injecting textures and cloud structures based upon weather data. But then you would still need to manually edit your shaders, with Envshade or any other shader tool, and these would then be static).

SF/EF is an alternative for ASCA's full dynamics theme with the already mentioned added bones of dynamic shaders. Because I like the REX SF textures and structures better then the ones in ASCA EF is the ideal tool for me now.

Thanks, Bert!

One of the things I don't understand (didn't find anything in the Manual):

I'm using the Live Mode Automation with all settings turned on. Everywhere I can read RUNNING, without Enable Scene Lighting and Enable water control, both stay in Waiting. No idea why.