vgbaron

Environment Force Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, awf said:

cockpit2_zps2bookxab.jpg

And I was thinking that we were talking about Fs ....

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

52 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Also, the manual is still misleading we all know we should turn the top two options OFF in Auto mode but now it seems with ASP4 EF works better with both ON. 

REX should reach out for more beta testers to help.

Will test with HDR on or of and report back...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Weather smoothing (the top one) definitely improves the asp4 injections, they are more gradual rather than just popping up! 

The second option i leave unticked as I’m using historical weather in asp4 locked to sim time. This setting if ticked would override it with current weather. So that won’t work if you are using historical mode in asp4. 

I have all the other option ticked in full auto mode, and it works well for me. 

Edited by djbully
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, awf said:

Will test with HDR on or of and report back...

If you turn OFF HDR in EF your P3D HDR levels you can change and see like normal, once EF HDR  is on (unless this has changed in the new build) stoped P3D HRD setting having any effect or making changing them have no effect.

I hope EF HDR and why there is an OFF/ON button is because it works independently of P3D. Hence why you can turn OFF EF HDR?

No idea 🙂 

34 minutes ago, fs1 said:

EF is a complex product: it is sometimes compared to other static shaders (and now the called dynamic ones) but don't forget all EF tweaks are tied to real weather readings in auto mode (not just link to a season variable or time of the date variable). Also, we are changing the lightning variables as you fly so EF can't be compared to shader addons where lightning is given (all light is passed hard-coded to the shader). Needless to say texture swaps on-the-fly, or the overcast/cloud framework features.

We are also ironing the bugs, so you will have noticed that with our existing Beta Team and the Insiders group we have fixed many bugs and there are some more fixes to come. We are also polishing the auto-mode algorithms.

What's next? Is to have a fully customize shader tool, for the ones who like to tweak. For the ones who like to fly, auto mode will have more robust algorithms which will improve the flying immersion.

For all of you who have interacted with us, I would like to thank you personally.

We will continue to listen to your suggestions.

Thanks

Federico

Question Fredirico about native HDR in P3D, does it need to be on for EF HDR to work, or can it work independently from P3D native HDR?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, djbully said:

Weather smoothing (the top one) definitely improves the asp4 injections, they are more gradual rather than just popping up! 

The second option i leave unticked as I’m using historical weather in asp4 locked to sim time. This setting if ticked would override it with current weather. So that won’t work if you are using historical mode in asp4. 

I have all the other option ticked in full auto mode, and it works well for me. 

I read on the EF forums if you're not using real-time weather, you have to turn OFF Fog in the mini UI and click the option to recompile shaders to get low-level haze/fog. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, awf said:

Question Fredirico about native HDR in P3D, does it need to be on for EF HDR to work, or can it work independently from P3D native HDR?

Yes, P3D HDR has to be on for EF HDR to work.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

If you turn OFF HDR in EF your P3D HDR levels you can change and see like normal, once EF HDR  is on (unless this has changed in the new build) stoped P3D HRD setting having any effect or making changing them have no effect.

I hope EF HDR and why there is an OFF/ON button is because it works independently of P3D. Hence why you can turn OFF EF HDR?

No idea 🙂 

Make sense however was reading conflicting info...

Just now, Nyxx said:

I read on the EF forums if you're not using real-time weather, you have to turn OFF Fog in the mini UI and click the option to recompile shaders to get low-level haze/fog. 

See below David

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well, now we know. Back on it goes. 🙂 It might have been TS giving the green lights a white look.

Edited by Nyxx

Just now, Nyxx said:

Well, now we know. Back on it goes. 🙂 It might have been TS giving the green light a white look.

🤣 I don't use any shader tool beside EF to preserve all the details you see in our beloved VC 🙂

• Like 1

Good, for thin feather clouds that can't apply as they can not block the sunlight enough to show dark. Good examples what i mean are also on your profile pic.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

Good, for thin feather clouds that can't apply as they can not block the sunlight enough to show dark. Good examples what i mean are also on your profile pic.

Yep I agree have a lot more examples what I would love to achieve in our Sim 😉

1 hour ago, pscharff said:

Then I wonder why there should be an option in EF to turn off HDR?

Patric

see the answer here in the topic from one of the devs...

@GSalden can you offer some insights about PTA as a reply to this post?

13 minutes ago, GEKtheReaper said:

@GSalden can you offer some insights about PTA as a reply to this post?

I already have in this thread .

Static values in P3D Shaders mean fixed values.

Expressions mean dynamically changing values depending on : time of day , precipitation level ( how much If there is any ) , terrain saturation/brightness depending on weather and altitude , reflection/refraction/saruration/brightness of watersurface depending on sunstrength , weather and angle ( from were you look downwards ) , bloom strength depending on time of day etc .

See https://simtweaks.com/support

On 5/23/2019 at 4:51 PM, Michael Moe said:

That sounds like a good ideer 😉 my friend. 

Maybe ENVSHADE is not really restoring to default as it is suppose to in Its software. 

Oh well i also find the FSL bus harder and harder to maintain my 25 fps. But thats another ball game. 

Michael Moe 

And David wisdom we found again :-)

EF is good allthough my port 19284 with ASP4 is giving me a hard time the FPS and visual is back up again here in 4.4

I know you are on 4.5 so i will leave my comment here but thanks for the client deal

Michael Moe

I've had to do a compromise with EF because I'm in VR on a 2080ti/Rift CV1. I was loosing too many frames and it was stuttering. So what i did was go back to ENVSHADE and ASCA and only use EF for smoothing, scene lighting and water control in auto.

The fps problem I had with with using EF and SF textures were that cloud morphing can have a significant impact and the minimum cloud res of 512 is too high - I need 256 which ASCA/ENVSHADE provides.

But EF is still useful for controlling scene lighting in auto and being able to make real time adjustments.

Posted (edited)

I used time-lapse to show the light on the clouds. But you get this effect if you look around the scene and can see where the sunlight is coming from with how the clouds are lit. So in a way, this does not show the scene but a snapshot of what happens if you look around it.

Sun behind my aircraft. Sun directly onto clouds

behind.jpg 

Sun behind the clouds

infrount.jpg

Sun just above the clouds.

low.jpg

But after trying HDR ON in P3D and OFF for the FSL it is staying OFF.

Edited by Nyxx

Why would EF effect frame rates at all?

Posted (edited)

Which tools do I need actualy? 

I have AS P3D, REX SF, REX EF currently installed because i install my system from scratch at the moment. 

Now I`m asking myself if i need: ASCA, Texture Direct, ENVTEX and ENVSHADE still?

I own all of them but which of them do i still "need" ?

thank you

Edited by 331BK

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, 331BK said:

Which tools do I need actualy? 

I have AS P3D, REX SF, REX EF currently installed because i install my system from scratch at the moment. 

Now I`m asking myself if i need: ASCA, Texture Direct, ENVTEX and ENVSHADE still?

I own all of them but which of them do i still "need" ?

thank you

ASP4 SF (set up options and ever open again) EF in Auto mode. 

That should be it.

If you fly the FSL I surgest you turn p3D HDR OFF this way you get proper green lights for the FD/LS etc.

Run with that for a week or so and see if you need anything else.

Edited by Nyxx

2 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

ASP4 SF (set up options and ever open again) EF in Auto mode. 

That should be it.

If you fly the FSL I surgest you turn p3D HDR OFF this way you get proper green lights for the FD/LS etc.

Run with that for a week or so and see if you need anything else.

Thank you i will try this out

Is it better to use ASP4 without ASCA .

When to fly with ASCA must i use Full Dynamics or Global Automatic.

I use Skyforce 3D

Thanks

Frank from EDDM

4 hours ago, 0Artur0 said:

Why would EF effect frame rates at all?

That's the question. It really shouldn't do anything to your performance but some people have reported huge FPS losses. AFAIK that has been fixed with the latest update, though.