vgbaron

Environment Force Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I used time-lapse to show the light on the clouds. But you get this effect if you look around the scene and can see where the sunlight is coming from with how the clouds are lit. So in a way, this does not show the scene but a snapshot of what happens if you look around it.

Sun behind my aircraft. Sun directly onto clouds

behind.jpg 

Sun behind the clouds

infrount.jpg

Sun just above the clouds.

low.jpg

 

But after trying HDR ON in P3D and OFF for the FSL it is staying OFF.

Thanks for the screenshots.

Imho in the screenshot “ sun behind the clouds”  the clouds that are too dark. Like it is going to rain.

The screenshot “ sun above clouds” looks also better as “ sun behind the clouds “

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

36 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Thanks for the screenshots.

Imho in the screenshot “ sun behind the clouds”  the clouds that are too dark. Like it is going to rain.

The screenshot “ sun above clouds” looks also better as “ sun behind the clouds “

The one with the dark clouds I should have posted last as it was just before "dusk" with the sun very low. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Imho in the screenshot “ sun behind the clouds”  the clouds that are too dark. Like it is going to rain.

Looks pretty much how it looks here. Surely the darkness depends on the depth the sunlight has to travel through. Smaller (thinner) clous should be lighter, yes.

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Is the issiue known, that the In Sim Weather Conditions are shown allways with ????&AO before the weather data begin ? 

That`s if you use AS and disable real-time weather data read when i enable real time weather data read the correct "ICAO" is listed.

 

 

 

 

Edited by 331BK

Share this post


Link to post

I finally bought it.

I lost all cloud shadows when using EF in combination with ENVSHADE, even though it was advertised as compatible with other shader add-ons. So, I uninstalled ENVSHADE and now the VC is too bright in comparison to VC look when using ENVSHADE.
I asked so many questions and when I thought I knew everything I bought it. Now I'm here again instead of flying. Very disappointed.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, 0Artur0 said:

I finally bought it.

I lost all cloud shadows when using EF in combination with ENVSHADE, even though it was advertised as compatible with other shader add-ons. So, I uninstalled ENVSHADE and now the VC is too bright in comparison to VC look when using ENVSHADE.
I asked so many questions and when I thought I knew everything I bought it. Now I'm here again instead of flying. Very disappointed.

Yep! EF is on the shelf. I really wanted to make it work but to much tweaking and twerking. I ain’t got time for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, 0Artur0 said:

Why would EF effect frame rates at all?

 

9 hours ago, threegreen said:

That's the question. It really shouldn't do anything to your performance but some people have reported huge FPS losses. AFAIK that has been fixed with the latest update, though.

Cloud morphing changes the size of the clouds which can have an impact on frames depending on your setup (important for VR). You can test it by going into manual mode to an overcast weather situation and change the cloud size with the slider. I wish I could tell you what happens in auto. I wish there was a setting that told EF to limit cloud size to no greater than X. Thankfully you can turn off cloud morphing if it does cause a hit.

EF also doesn't have a 256 cloud res option like ASCA or ENVTEX.

Edited by glider1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, 0Artur0 said:

I finally bought it.

I lost all cloud shadows when using EF in combination with ENVSHADE, even though it was advertised as compatible with other shader add-ons. So, I uninstalled ENVSHADE and now the VC is too bright in comparison to VC look when using ENVSHADE.
I asked so many questions and when I thought I knew everything I bought it. Now I'm here again instead of flying. Very disappointed.

Well there is a topic on your problem on there forums. Been there for days, ENVSHADE and cloud shadows.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Well there is a topic on your problem on there forums. Been there for days, ENVSHADE and cloud shadows.

Didn't see it before. The problem is supposed to be identified and fixed now.

So, only the "too bright VC" issue remains for me.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, reecemj said:

Yep! EF is on the shelf. I really wanted to make it work but to much tweaking and twerking. I ain’t got time for that. 

that's  why there is  auto mode no tweaking at all

Share this post


Link to post

No that's where I have to tweak. I'll get back to it after a few updates.

Share this post


Link to post

First flight completed after full reinstall and using only ASP4/SF/EF with P3D HRD turned off. 

Am happy.

EHAM taxing to 18C

1.jpg

Arrival at EDDN

2.jpg

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

First flight completed after full reinstall and using only ASP4/SF/EF with P3D HRD turned off. 

Am happy.

EHAM taxing to 18C

1.jpg

Arrival at EDDN

2.jpg

 

#metoo , AS, EF, SF everything super.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

looks amazing just like mine😃

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, glider1 said:

Cloud morphing changes the size of the clouds which can have an impact on frames depending on your setup (important for VR). You can test it by going into manual mode to an overcast weather situation and change the cloud size with the slider. I wish I could tell you what happens in auto. I wish there was a setting that told EF to limit cloud size to no greater than X. Thankfully you can turn off cloud morphing if it does cause a hit.

I suffered the performance issue before the first update and as far as I could tell it happened as soon as cloud layers were at least broken, even when the cloud morphing function was idle.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Nyxx said:

First flight completed after full reinstall and using only ASP4/SF/EF with P3D HRD turned off. 

Am happy.

EHAM taxing to 18C

1.jpg

Arrival at EDDN

2.jpg

 

Nice screenshots 

Too dark clouds for me .. If I look at of the Window the clouds are more white..

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Nice screenshots 

Too dark clouds for me .. If I look at of the Window the clouds are more white..

Agree with Gerard on this. This looks like dark rain clouds.

Edited by B777ER

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, B777ER said:

Agree with Gerard on this. This looks like dark rain clouds.

If he has PTA or TS he could make the clouds slightly lighter with a fixed value.

Then the starting point of EF would be lighter clouds to start with.

More like this :

Orbx%20NL%20-%20mod%203.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post

While one decided to buy the product, I decided to remove it (again) from my PC.

The negative experience made so far was a bit greater then the positive looks. This is the 3rd time I uninstalled this product (gave mostly every release a try) but no, it's not mature enough.

I have 2 (3) show stoppers and 1 annoying thing but I could live with that.

Showstoppers are:

1) The weird square overcast clouds layer

2) The bad Cirrus (slim repetitive pattern)

(3) I'm not sure if it's not hitting my PC to much

Annoyance:

1) The brightness while panning through the cockpit from dark areas back to pilot view.

 

I realy hope Federico and REX will get this sorted since I see a lot of potential behind.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

1) The brightness while panning through the cockpit from dark areas back to pilot view.

For everyone that is annoyed by the simulation of eye adaption to light. Just turn down the value for "time delta" in the mini UI to zero and that function is off. I like (my value: 0.23) it but I can see it can be annoying.

The points 1, 2 and 3 I did not have those or just dont understand (" I'm not sure if it's not hitting my PC to much"?). Performance is great on my system. Use AS4 with weather smoothing ON. I Adjusted the max visibility in AS4 to 200 because I get slightly better performance in bad weather. All my visibility settings are handeld by EF in auto mode. Thank you REX.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, B777ER said:

Agree with Gerard on this. This looks like dark rain clouds.

Well thank goodness we fixed this and have given control for it in our latest beta update. 😉

2 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

1) The weird square overcast clouds layer

This is not related to EF, rather the weather engine in use. 

2 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

2) The bad Cirrus (slim repetitive pattern)

Actually, this is not a fault of EF, it's how the sim renders cirrus in its default state. We will look at giving more control over this.

2 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

(3) I'm not sure if it's not hitting my PC to much

To be fair, if you're not sure, then why blame EF for that? 

2 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

Annoyance:

1) The brightness while panning through the cockpit from dark areas back to pilot view.

See what @Rasterfahnder stated above. If that doesn't work, no worries, we have a more solid solution for our HDR in the next beta build working well.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Rasterfahnder said:

For everyone that is annoyed by the simulation of eye adaption to light. Just turn down the value for "time delta" in the mini UI to zero and that function is off. I like (my value: 0.23) it but I can see it can be annoying.

The points 1, 2 and 3 I did not have those or just dont understand (" I'm not sure if it's not hitting my PC to much"?). Performance is great on my system. Use AS4 with weather smoothing ON. I Adjusted the max visibility in AS4 to 200 because I get slightly better performance in bad weather. All my visibility settings are handeld by EF in auto mode. Thank you REX.

Thanks sounds like a good idea. Turn off visibility limits in the weather engine and let auto mode in EF handle it. I thought you needed it on in the weather engine. What I'm wanting to achieve are changes in visibility even when there is no specific report about it in the metar. Visibility isn't the same exactly day after day and varies with time of day and weather conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, glider1 said:

Visibility isn't the same exactly day after day and varies with time of day and weather conditions.

Uhhh, nice idea for EF to evolve. 👍 But first, TOGA devs give me ENVTEX sky texture integration for EF, pretty, pretty please.

When it comes to visibility EF is very good in my opinion. You can try it in flight for your self, if you are using AS4 and compare it in different weather conditions. Set fog mode in the mini UI to off and have hifi visibilty. Go to the main auto mode window in EF and set weather smoothing to ON, fog auto mode gets reactivated. I did that several times and it does work that way without any problems.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Rasterfahnder said:

Uhhh, nice idea for EF to evolve. 👍 But first, TOGA devs give me ENVTEX sky texture integration for EF, pretty, pretty please.

When it comes to visibility EF is very good in my opinion. You can try it in flight for your self, if you are using AS4 and compare it in different weather conditions. Set fog mode in the mini UI to off and have hifi visibilty. Go to the main auto mode window in EF and set weather smoothing to ON, fog auto mode gets reactivated. I did that several times and it does work that way without any problems.

Thanks tried it but couldn't get it working.

I set EF smoothing off which turns off fog mode. I adjusted AS4 visibility to max. I turned on EF smoothing which turned on fog mode. No change to visibility. EF left it at AS4 max.

Anyway, problem is that we need to set limits to visibility even if EF were auto controlling it because of performance issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, glider1 said:

Thanks tried it but couldn't get it working.

I set EF smoothing off which turns off fog mode. I adjusted AS4 visibility to max. I turned on EF smoothing which turned on fog mode. No change to visibility. EF left it at AS4 max.

Anyway, problem is that we need to set limits to visibility even I EF were auto controlling it because of performance issues.

Lucky Im are not chasing 60 plus FPS.

Edited by Nyxx

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now