Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Best Browser

AVSIM receives a lot of inquiries regarding browsers such as what is the best, which one has the best security, etc.  The late owner of AVSIM and I have always used Firefox but it has not always been the best.  The following are links to reviews of the best browsers for 2019:

https://www.toptenreviews.com/software/internet/best-internet-browser-software/

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-web-browser

Both have excellent and current reviews.  I also recently learned of some alternative browsers for online security that one might consider when browsing the Internet:

https://www.vpngeeks.com/alternative-browsers

I hope this helps some!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks, Jim. 

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

Talking about Firefox, which I have been using for years, it got a huge (the worst I remember) problem last night.
Various (probably all kind of) browser add-ons / plug-ins stopped working and they are not possible to install/activate.
I realised it quickly when routinely visiting a few websites I saw commercials jumping out on me from every corner. Which means my adblocker stopped working. 😀
The Firefox team announced they are working on a fix.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There's a temp hotfix to get your add ons working again. It worked for me.  uBlock Origin working again.

FireFox Hotfix

Edited by TuFun
  • Like 1

IMNSHO Chrome is the only way to go. And, I've tried all of them. All mileage is, of course, variable............Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, Rafal said:

Talking about Firefox, which I have been using for years, it got a huge (the worst I remember) problem last night.

So, what you're saying, bad timing for posting this topic.  LOL!  I do not have any addons so the issue did not hit me.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Used Firefox back in the day, can't for the life of me remember how far back that was but at least a decade. Switched to Chrome and never looked back. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 hours ago, TuFun said:

There's a temp hotfix to get your add ons working again. It worked for me.  uBlock Origin working again.

FireFox Hotfix

Thank God! Firefox was a nightmare for me the last week.

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

An oficial fix has been issued now. 🙂
Just restart your browser or force the update (Help->About Firefox) if it doesn't do it automatically.

Edited by Rafal

Yep, fix is in.  Like the article says the best browser and I agree!

Edited by TuFun

I would not touch Firefox now with a barge-pole, after this weekend's charade where they without a single warning, disabled all Add-ons. I have used them for since version 30s.

I think they have sold out to advertisers to stop Add-ons blocking advertising junk. Only my opinion, but I will not be rturning to them again!

• Like 1

It was all caused by a digitial certificate expiring, so not really a bug in Firefox. Just a mistake.

Official version 66.0.4 is now out and everything works fine again.

23 hours ago, vc10man said:

I would not touch Firefox now with a barge-pole

I’m in the other camp. I detest the prompts by various software packages to get me to install Chrome. I’d rather have my eye poked out than use it. Firefox is not without its issues but I’ll stick with it.

• Like 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I believe it depends on what You use the browser for.

In my experience, for business applications Chrome is the Clear winner on Script processing speed, Safari is as fast for Apple devices. Firefox is a close second. Edge is out of the question.

Firefox is the one I use for everyday browsing.

Edited by RamonB