Jim Young

Best Browser

Chrome is bad mojo.

Matt Wilson

On 5/5/2019 at 4:57 PM, lownslo said:

Brave... fast, small, simple, and safe.  https://brave.com/features/

Greg

This.

I cannot recommend Brave enough. It has the compatibility because being based on Chromium, but has the privacy and protections of Firefox plus more.

• Like 1

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

From way back in Mosaic days, then Netscape, then Firebird, then Firefox.  But got off the upgrade train at Quantum.  Now using Waterfox.

scott s.

10 hours ago, scott967 said:

Now using Waterfox.

Thanks for that H/U. Just getting it and installing now.

Agree with you, Ray, Chrome. Ditched that too, after the Firefox w/e debacle.

On 5/5/2019 at 6:07 PM, vc10man said:

I would not touch Firefox now with a barge-pole, after this weekend's charade where they without a single warning, disabled all Add-ons. I have used them for since version 30s.

I think they have sold out to advertisers to stop Add-ons blocking advertising junk. Only my opinion, but I will not be rturning to them again!

I did not even notice the add-on crash with Firefox.  I also did not hear about the Firefox issue.  How did you find out there was an issue with Firefox?  You must have done a search on the Internet when it happened.  What add-on(s) went down that really hurt your surfing over the weekend because of the snafu?  The one that allows you to view videos better?  The one that stops Facebook tracking?  The one that improves ad blocking and privacy protection (I suspect this one as you indicated Mozilla aka Firefox sold out to advertisers)?  Or, lastly the one that allows you to surf more securely?  There are no other add-ons that I can see.  Everything else is built into the default browser.  I recommend you read the link to the best browsers and about why Firefox was selected as Number 1.  I know Google Chrome, which owns all of the advertising for the Internet, collects a lot of private data and stores it permanently in one of their huge warehouses in California.  They want to know everything about you.  Every website has a switch to turn on the advertising and turn it off.  We only turned it on because all of the other Flight Sim websites had it turned on too.  This is stored in the browser cache as Mozilla does not have a huge warehouse in California.  If little things like this matter with a short loss of add-ons over the weekend, you're not going to like it when your new browser crashes and soon you are going to run out of browsers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 minute ago, Jim Young said:

I did not even notice the add-on crash with Firefox.  I also did not hear about the Firefox issue

Nor I, not until now. Been using Firefox since it was just a cub. I'd rather fight than change. (Taryton cigarettes ad, many moons ago) :biggrin:

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Thanks Jim, I have looked at your post and decided to try "Brave", I like it so far, it has a small footprint and web content seems to load much faster.  It seems more streamlined than Chrome and Firefox, I will keep trying it out.  Firefox is trying to ban youtube video downloads which is fine and dandy except for the fact that it makes it hard for me to share videos previously downloaded by meself there with me bella ex esposa and me bella daughter, and we use these sites to share our adventures since the three of us are split apart by distance and our schedules.

John

John,

That was the purpose of my OP.  I just wanted to provide the membership some reviews of browsers so members could decide appropriate.  A lot of changes has been made in many.  The last time we did this was back in 2013 when Chrome was considered the best.  My OP allowed you to find a new browser to try out and that great!

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

6 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I know Google Chrome, which owns all of the advertising for the Internet, collects a lot of private data and stores it permanently in one of their huge warehouses in California.  They want to know everything about you.  Every website has a switch to turn on the advertising and turn it off.  We only turned it on because all of the other Flight Sim websites had it turned on too.  This is stored in the browser cache as Mozilla does not have a huge warehouse in California.

That's not how Internet advertising works Your browser stores tracking cookies, nothing more. Every browser stores them, and they're set by the ad servers themselves, and other web sites that end up selling ads. Go look on Delta's web site for a flight to Hong Kong and all of a sudden you'll see plenty of Delta ads for Hong Kong - and as long as AVSIM is not serving its own ads, your ad trafficker is reading and writing tracking data, no matter what browser people use, so long as they aren't blocking ads or flushing cookies. Google, Facebook and Amazon get vast quantities of tracking data no matter what you use.

There is no magical switch that on every web site that turns on or off ads. You actually have to ad the functionality, although some third party software makes it easier than others.

Again, unless you are personally vetting all of the ads you run, you're giving third parties access to user tracking/behavior data, as well as allowing random third parties to execute code on AVSIM. To me, ads are a giant security risk unless you're doing your own house ads.

My .02 - Internet ads (unfortunately) have paid my salary for over a decade. 😞

Cheers!

Edited by Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

16 minutes ago, Luke said:

your ad trafficker is reading and writing tracking data, no matter what browser people use, so long as they aren't blocking ads or flushing cookies.

Sooo, does that mean it's a good idea to use adblockers and flush cookies?

Greg

Beg to differ.  When you click on a Google ad, the info is sent to Google.  It is also sent to your browser cache.  Google pays AVSIM for the number of clicks on the ad and, if the person who clicked the ad decides to buy the product, they send the Corporation who makes the product some big bucks. If you click on the little tomahawk in the upper right corner of the ad you will see more information.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Again, unless you are personally vetting all of the ads you run, you're giving third parties access to user tracking/behavior data, as well as allowing random third parties to execute code on AVSIM. To me, ads are a giant security risk unless you're doing your own house ads.

This is being done on all flight sim sites!  Go to FlightS**dot com and see they are using other advertising methods too.  All we do is check a block on the system board and the ads start coming in giving AVSIM some extra revenue.  Sites are getting more expensive and we are trying to stay ahead of the curve and I suspect another piece of hardware will fail again.  Donations do not always cover the costs for hardware.  The amount of money raised shows the amount of money raised but not necessarily that amount exists anymore and it is used to pay our huge monthly website fee.  Since we get over a million hits on AVSIM every month, we thought this was another way to make money.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

you're giving third parties access to user tracking/behavior data, as well as allowing random third parties to execute code on AVSIM. To me, ads are a giant security risk unless you're doing your own house ads.

Google has indicated their ads placed on the Internet have been screen extensively for any security risks.  But they do state the ads are based off each user's tracking behavior data.  So, what you see as ad's on this site may not be the ad's seen by others viewing the same page.

Thanks for your input.

Submit News to AVSIM